Old September 18, 2001, 13:54   #1
faded glory
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 13:33
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Sands of Arabia
(mission mode off, this is a short AAR. Also my first one)

In 1492 I became leader of the Hedjaz. It wasnt much a country. Nomads, poverty, and small population. I took over a country in finacinal and military Chaos. With only 4 sparsely populated provinces, I had to do somthing. The Persian Shi'ites to the North, held a long standing animosity towards us. The Malemukes to the west, also a branch of Shii'te government. This was an unfriendly place indeed.

In 1493 I set about an ambitous plan. I would have to win over support of the finanicial leaders in Mecca. 2 loans of 500 ducats were approved, and I immediately began to put my 'ambitous' plans to work.

In july 1493, I began building an army. Led bye my handpicked favorite, Al-Jazeer the army numbered in 29,000 men. The victim of my plans was Aden. A small Sunni nation to my south. Much like myself, was in a bad position. In the fall of 1493, war was declared. Immediately we wrestled control over there only 3 provinces. And layed siege to there capitol. Bye the end of 1493, the nation of Aden was now part of the Hedjaz empire. With the extra income I set about paying back the bankers in Mecca. I also join an alliance with Algiers and Nubia.

Turkey and Algiers declare war on Malemukes. Persia joins the Malemukes and a long war enues.

The war between Turkey and the Shiite nations continues. At first glance, Persia has taken Siva's. Turks lay siege to Aleppo and Syria. Long battles ensue

With the loans now paid off, I begin to promote tax officials. Much to the dismay of the Nomads and peasants. Turkey captures Syria and Aleppo. Persia lays siege to Syria. Turkish army destroyed bye Malamukes.

I have approached the bankers in Mecca once more. This time I must convince them to fund a war in ethiopia. Bye building a Navy and sufficient troops. They agree and the buildings begin.

Turkey accepts peace with malemukes, aleppo to Turkey. Peace ensues. Not for long, Hafsid declares war on Malemukes and lay siege to Cyrenica.

A nation called the "Russians" Are absorbing are Khanite brethren. Golden Horde and Astrakahn have been captured. We go to war with them, but only words. Our buildup continues.

WAR ON ETHIOPIA
war was promptly declared and our troops disembarked for what looks like a quick fight. Issis and Afars quickly fell. The Ethiopian army withdrew to Keren and Somalia. Wont take long I assure myself. Our 18,000/0/10 man army quickly moved into Somalia. After a long fight, the 7,000 ethiopian troops were slaughtered. Whilst, to the man.I turn my army north. Towards the capitol of Keren. In the fall of 1500, my army engaged the tiny 3,0000 troops there. My troops were repulsed. With utter devastion, they fled back to Issas. I had no idea what was about to come of me. but as the dawn of 1501 approached. I resent my dwindling army into Keren once again. And again we were Repulsed. I withdrew to Issas and waited for a replacement army. The desert attrition took an amazing toll..... almost 15,000 troops lost.

1501 Once again, I consulted the bankers of Mecca. I was given 250 gold in hopes to take ethiopia once and for all. An army was hasitly assembled. 22,000 infantry, 3,000 cavalry, and 20 cannons. Bye this time, Ethiopian subhuman species had retaken all her provinces, utterly destroying the first army I sent. The battle was quick, and again Issas was retaken. Seems as though the ethiopian army would rather turn tail and run! Afars and Somalia were also quickly retaken with very little trouble. But again, our army was repulsed at the mountain passes and fortress of Keren. The harsh climate took a massive toll once more. The Ethiopian army came down from Keren and wiped out my entire army. DISASTER !!! I could not believe it! A small nation that is ethiopia has thumbed its nose at the might of the Hedjaz Empire! Our troops are complaining, General Al-Jezeer told me "Why are we here", "We blast away at the mountains! They wishstand everything! The Ethipoians ambush us at every turn". Despite this I prepared to send a 3rd army. With the help of Mecca Bankers, I began building a massive army in december of 1501. One that would make the other 2 look pathetic. More than 30,000 troops were going to be assembled.

1502-1503
My stubborn pride has kept this war going. It has so far been a disaster for me. I must succeed I tell myself! In the summer of 1502 my armies again land in the barren ISSAS province. Afars and Somalia are once again recaptured. A familiar site! Once again the Ethiopians have withdrew to Keren to watch the climate take its toll on my troops. The army, headed again bye Al-Jezeer is 30,000/5000/50. Large enought to quickly take Keren and its fortress and dispose of the subhuman species therein. Thats what I think right!? Wrong, the army is utterly repulsed bye 6,000 ethiopians before they reach the wall sof Keren. Again, the Ethiopians sweep down from the Keren mountains and route my army in Issas. I could not believe it! I ordered the troops to retake Issas and deal a painful blow upon enemy. Again, they failed an my army was sent packing into Somalia. I had the navy immediately withdraw them for fear of utter obliteration at the hands of the Ethiopian rabble.

My last incursion into Ethiopia was a diaster! Only 3,000 men survived. All cannons lost...But I refuse to give in! With 250 gold fresh from Mecca once again, I set about building yet another army. This one larger than the prevoius three. bye december of 1504 I had more than 40,000 infantry, 3,000 cavalry and 70 cannons in aden ready to depart. Jezeer was sacked, Al-Hussien was in.

1505- wraping up 5 years of disaster with involvment in Ethiopia
In 1505 the massive army again landed in Issas. Quickly taking Afars and again, we headed for Keren. To my utter amazement, my armies were repulsed yet again! More than 9,000 ethiopians were killed and 4,000 of my own men. My men withdrew to Issas and Ethiopian troops then descended from the mountains of Keren. However, this time, our guns were ready for them. We routed them back to Keren. For 6 months are troops sat around waiting for reinforcements. Tho I could send none.. there was no money left. in september, Ethiopia had to file for bankruptcy. In november 1505 a Ethiopian delegation arrived in Mecca. They offered us Issas, Afars, and Somalia in exchange for peace. We agreed, it was the best offer we could have gotten.

After capturing the provinces I realized what a disaster the Invasion of Ethiopia had been.More than 80,000 had been lost as well as hundreds of artilerry pieces. As as soon as the peace was signed, one last insult to my troops. The peasants of all provinces rose up against my troops. At this point, I ordered all troops out of the country. To let the rebels take over.....there was no point in wasting any more time and troops on such worthless territorys.

I simply left, wrapping up 6 years of involvement I would rather forget. The war had destroyed my economy, army, and I was so thoroughly screwed there was little I could do. My biggest mistake was underestimating the ethiopians, who more or less used guerilla tactics to defeat me. Relying heavily on there arid climate and large attrition values of there provinces. I did however emerge as a large naval power.9 Warships, 6 transports! I now possed the largest fleet in the Red Sea. And thats gotta be worth somthing

Well Ill post a screen shot, presuming its the right size. Im a bit pissed I made such a blunder in ethiopia, A costly lesson indeed!.....will continue AAR later
faded glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2001, 19:52   #2
faded glory
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 13:33
And again I want to post screenshots. but 200,000bytes is the limit. Mines around 900,000 . If anyone has a way to resize them, plz notify me. Thanks

After years in Ethiopia, we had abandoned it for the Rebels. I made the decision not to go back in, for very reasons. Maybe at a later date! Turkey declares war on Malemukes! Persia joins there Shii'te neighbors and another huge regional war has erupted. 70,000 Turkish troops have immediatly taken Syria and Kirkuik. Shii'te scum on the run! My congratulations to the Sultan!

The Island Socorates, a small island at the mouth of the red sea. I wanted it for economic reasons. In september 1508 I sent a colonist to the island. Success!!! The island has now been added to Allahs collective! I decided to send a trading post to Mogadishu, hoping to get a foothold on Africa. No go the first time. The second finally set one up. Despite a Native contigent of 8,000 tribesmen who allow the post to remain. In december I feverishly begin rebuilding my economy. The trade in Ishafan, Alexandria and Venice is very benificial.

Finally we are up to 137 gold a year! Economy is doing good, despite an economic embargo bye the Mamelukes. Turkey makes peace with the Malemukes, Syria and Lebanon to Turkey and 250 ducats. Also the Hafsid finally makes peace with Malemukes, Cyrenica to Hafsid. The Malemuke scum are on the run!

1510-1511- War with the Malemuke Infidels
In Febuary the Malemuke Shi'ite decalered war on my weak vexed nation realing from the Ethiopian disaster. Immediately they layed siege to Jordan. I was granted 500 gold bye the finciars in Mecca. I recruited an army. In september Al-Hussien was brought up and an army of 60,000 men was assembled. 110 cannon 60,000 infantry and 5 thousand cavalry. Immediately the Infidels were repulsed at the fortress walls of Amman. I sent the army to clear the countryside. At that same time, Turkey joined me in my effort declaring war on the malemukes again. Siezing on this oppurtunity I sent my army in Judea. The fort was no match for my massive array of cannon. Like wise happened in Sinia, the fort fell with no noticeable losses. I then pushed on to Cairo in hopes to bring the war to a rapid conclusion. After a long painful siege, the capitol fell in october of 1511. And my demands of 250 ducat, and the territorys of Judea and Sinai were agreed too. The war was over, I emerged in a good state and ready to tackle my next challenge.

In 1512 I began the work of promoting legal counsils in the new territorys. I also put more funding into Trade level and Land technology. Economy was strong, at 192 gold a year and 4 monopolys in Muscat, Venice, Astrakahn, and Alexandria I was on a roll. Late in 1512 an explorer approached me named Hahmed. He wanted to explore Africa. Eager to see what lies in on the massive unexplored continent, I shipped him off to Mogadishu. There he began his short journey. As soon as he began his exploration, the Natives in Mogadishu rose up and destroyed the colony and the explorer force. I was angry, But I decided to let it slide. Considering my past expierences in the horn of Africa.

Russia Annexs Crimea and Sibir. More of my Khanite Muslim brethren destroyed bye Russian criminals. Turkey annexs moldovia! Good news..... I have promptly signed an official alliance with my new turk neighbors.

Rebels in Issas and Afars create there own independant countrys. Somalia still held bye rebels, but not declaring independence. All are repricussions from my disasterous incursions. I continue working my economy! In july I begin construction of a Manufacturing plant in Mecca.

1514 Turkey Annex's Serbia. More good news from our allies in Istanbul. Portugal declares war on Morrocco. I dont like it, but I pray that my Muslim brethren will blunt any agressive invaders from Europe.

Manufacturing plant has been built. Trade level up, I am begining to grow extremely angry at the malemukes. They have attacked my friends in Nubia. I immediately begin building an army. My troops have also just acquired early pistols. Excellent work!

1516-1517
In december of 1516 I decided to go to war. Sadly its war again. I could no longer tolerate the Shi'ite scum in Cairo! With my Turkish, Hafsid and nubian allies. We prepared to rid the world of Malemuke scum once and for all. I immediately sent Al-Hussien's army of 40,000 troops to the capitol province. The capitol fell with no trouble, in fact not a single soldier was lost. The morale inside the fort was horrible. And siege lasted only 9 days. Fortunes of war turned, Nubia layed siege to Nile and replused that pathetic invaders. Hafsid moved on Alexandria. It would not be long. In september 1517 We proposed a peace treaty: Full annexation of Malemukes Bye Nubia Hafsid and Hedjaz. They accepted and the city of Cairo now flew the Hedjaz colors of Red and black.

Continue building the economy. Infidels in Cairo revolt, Al-Hussien swatted them aside within hours of there rebellion. The persians lift there embargo, we send our merchants to crowd it immediately. Turkey declares war on Venice!

Nothing to do, 7,000 cavalry built in Arabia province. Continue work on economy. Russia annex's Uzbekistan...Not sure where that is, but they were Sunni muslims

1520 Turkey annexes makes peace with venice on the following terms- Full annexation of Venice. Again, my congratulations to the Sultan for gobbling up the balkans.

I have another ambitous plan. This time I dont need to approach the bankers in Mecca. I wanted Ethiopia! I wanted revenge for the tens of thousands lost in the earlier disaster. Revenge I shall have! I began work on a massive army... The likes of which, have never been seen on this continent. 64,000 Infantry men are being ammassed at the port of Aden. 120 cannons and 7,000 cavalry. Ethiopia had declared war on the rebel provinces, not suprisingly she had retaken and annexed them all.

1522-23
Second Arab-Ethiopian war!
King Mustafa could no longer tolerate the very real threat of an Invasion bye the ethiopians
Late in 1522 I declared war after spending 2 years building this massive army.Immediately things were not so good. Upon landing in Issas, attrition killed 6,000 men in the first month. But I was undeterred. I marched into Afars and Somalia. Then I turned my attention to Keren. The ethiopian army this time, was no match for my soldiers. There entire army fled to Issas retaking it. I prepared for a long siege.....The weather took its toll. I tried reinforcing the garrison in Keren. Not enough! I was losing 8,000 men a month. It was progressively getting worse. The fort had 15,000 men and bristled with 25 cannons. My troops could not keep it besieged. Before long, my beautiful army of 70,000 had been reduced to 19,000. The 9,000 ethiopian troops in Issas began moving north. They engaged my besieging troops. Disaster My army was routed from Keren, only 4 foot soldiers survived the brutal march back. I cannot believe it. From 70,000 infantry to 4 survivors(no not 4k...4 men left!!). Again we have been smited bye one of the weakest nations on earth

I regathered my witts,sent a courier to the Mecca bankers and promised revenge

Again we went to work, the 4 surviving men in Issas were pulled from africa and sent to Aden. They are national heroes! Al-Hussien is dead, Al-Jezeer was put back in charge of the new army. Immediately all provinces began recruiting. We worked feverishly. Through all this, the Turks send a force of 22,000 men into Issas via ship. They were slaughtered, whilst to the man trying to lay seige to Keren. Late in 1524 the armies began assembling. 37,000 infantry 13,000 cavalry and 210 cannons. A massive army. But I was not done. I sent out a call for 15,000 more infantry before the years end.

The army was now assembled. They boarded a growing fleet of ships in the Red sea. And again, they landed in Issas. Such a familiar province at this point. Troops were then sent and retook afars and Somalia. Our men were scared upon thinking of entering Keren. So many the world over had been killed. Most did not want to go. Knowing that the desert is unforgiving. But regardless, Jezeer's troops arived in Keren laying siege in september of 1525. The desert took a terrifying toll the first 3 months. 36,000 dead. Unbearable! But the Siege must continue. Troops continued to lay seige. but as the months went bye. It became clear. Confounding the situation. Ethiopia had a colony in Mogadishu and further south into the Africa unknown. 13,000 man army appeared from the unknown terra below mogadishu. At this point I knew what was coming.. I promptly withdrew the tattered remince of Jezeers army. Now only 21,000 men. What a disaster! Revenge? I got no revenge! What did I gain? My prosperity is now threatened bye the future bankruptcy from the loans.

Why oh why, Allah must you be so cruel

After the second disaster, the Island colony of Socrates revolted. Nothing I could do right now. Peasants in Judea and Arabia angrily demanded my head. I sent the shattered army to quell them. Fortunately they did. I am trying to build up my money. Im going to have to repay 1000 gold worth of loans in 4 years. Inflation is now getting to be a problem at 37%. Rising .86 a year.

Inflation still rising, I have 126 gold in bank account. Interest rates are really high. All Trade monopolys lost thusfar! This is seroius economic decline. Other news-Turkey declares war on Persian Infidels. Congratulations to the sultan for liberating Baghdad and kurdistan right away.

Still trying to get the gold up! No luck looks like bankruptcy is right around the corner.....Ethiopia has demanded white peace. We grudingly accept. First 2 bank loans have come in! We extend them. Which makes the interest situation worse. Inflation is now at 40%. Cannot afford new merchants.

More Economic troubles. The Bubonic plague wipes out half of the population in Mecca. Seroius drop in existing tax revenues.

We have no choice but bankrupty. That will clear our high interest. We now have no money to pay back the bankers. And they will not be so smart to lend us money again. Turkey accepts peace with Persia- Iraq, Kirkuik and Kurdistan to Turkey. Russia declares war on something named "Poland".Not visible on Hedjaz maps.

1531 A Naval Explorer in Mecca. We immediately send him to the Indian ocean to check the area out.

We are desperately trying to recover our economy. Its very difficult. Things will never be the same. Merchants arent as witty as they used to be. Competition in the wealthier COT's is fierce.

Our Naval Explorer had rounded the indian pennisula. He has also gone to Indonesia and the dutch east indies. Very interesting world.... Lots of strange natives are observed.Tribes living in a place time forgot. A few sparse European colonys. But the majority of the land is untammed.

Turkey declares war on Greece. Again, good luck to the sultan. We are desperately trying to regain a monopoly in Muscate. No luck, the portuguese merchants are fearsome.

Turkey annex's Greece and declares war on Persia again. Morrocco is annexed bye Portugal. Imperialist Euro basterds

Finally monopoly in Muscate! We now turn our merchants towards Alexandria. Socorates islands have been retaken. Our explorer has discovered a new nation. The Chinese.

1537-38 Enthusiam for the army. 10,000 troops volunteer in Arabia. Great! But I plan no war. I have entered an alliance with my northern nieghbor Oman. Spain declares war on Inca. Dont know where either of them are
We continue our economic recovery. Inflation is horrible...47% things arent so cheap anymore. There are talks we will begin promoting mayors to deal with Inflation. But we dont have the money right now. Late in 1538 we are approached bye an explorer named Sharma who wants to discover the India subcontinent. I agree to let him, and prepare for a ship to arrive at Aden harbor.

Our monopoly has been lost in Muscate, we quickly move to regain it. But to no avail! Our explorer has happily discovered the japanese. However Nippon did not return the favor. Instead they declared war and sunk the explorer ship and a few months later claimed that they were closing there waters to outside influence.

turkey declares war on Austrians. Scotland,Hungary, England, Portugal, Spain and the hansa join Austria on one side. Turkey, Wallachia, Algiers, Nubia and Hafsid on the other side. A huge war between Muslim and Christian superpowers. I chose not to get involved for many reasons....
In september 1540 Troops from Scotland have invaded the lesbo islands. Turkey is forcing the austrians and Hungarians back. Massive battles of hundreds of thousands of troops are waged in the balkans. Turkey is emerging victorious from each one. Spaniards have invaded Algiers. They will most definetaly pay

Ok that is all for tonight! Im off to bed. I see that i have made a few mistakes. That second war on Ethiopia was a ****in mess. Such a pathetic nation as ethiopia has such rugged terrain. The climate is so bad...I still am in a state of shock they wooped my ass twice now

I dont think I will be sending anymore troops to Keren in ALONG time.

feel free to comment on this thread!
faded glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2001, 17:19   #3
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 09:33
...ignore this...

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Last edited by yin26; September 19, 2001 at 17:38.
yin26 is offline   Reply With Quote