View Poll Results: SimCity-like map options?
That's a good idea 26 57.78%
That's stupid 15 33.33%
Not sure 4 8.89%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 18, 2001, 15:53   #1
PGM
Prince

Local Time: 13:33
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I'd like SimCity-like map options. Would you?
I'd like to have some SimCity-like options around that little map graph on the bottom of the screen, having the possibility of activating different modes there, like:

* normal map (default)
* road map
* population density map
* population rate of growth map
* pollution map

If this isn't in already, I doubt that'll be enough time to do it, though. What do you think?
Old September 18, 2001, 16:02   #2
TechWins
King

Local Time: 06:33
I thinks that a very good idea that would have added more "fluff" to the game. I say would have because I doubt Firaxis included this feature. Then again, you never know.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old September 20, 2001, 13:44   #3
Fresno
Warlord

Local Time: 14:33
Great idea, you should be able to see which part of your empire is likely to revolt, which part is the most developed, and so on. This would be a nice improvement of the game.

I would also like much more detailed demographics. Maybe some of you have played Tropico? That's what I mean.
Old September 20, 2001, 14:37   #4
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

little map graph on the bottom of the screen

I wouldn't mind having the overlay on the actual map if need be aswell. A bit like in CaesarII/III with the various overlays (ehcih showed fire risk, plumbing, crime, education, religion etc).

I always find tiny little maps useless as they were not very specific. They give you the jist but you sometimes need a more detailed analysis.
Old September 20, 2001, 15:18   #5
saracen31
Warlord

Would be great to have, but probably too late now. That kind of "fluff" is what makes Civ so fun.
Old September 20, 2001, 17:56   #6
dainbramaged13
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
King

Local Time: 09:33
what i get from the screenshots is that there are two map options - the real world-map representations with deserts, mountains, and such, and a borders map, which is basically a political map with all the cities and borders, with each country being a different color. There are only a few screenshots with the latter type, but they are there. look on the bonusweb site, they have both types.
Old September 20, 2001, 17:59   #7
jdd2007
NationStates
King

-Stupid Idea-

Talk about micromanagement!!! I dont mind a little at all, but every square in every city ... even if there were 'governors' i wouldnt trust them
Old September 20, 2001, 18:00   #8
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 08:33
one thing i liked about SMAC was the "powergraph" and faction info that popped up on the bottom of the screen.
Old September 20, 2001, 18:00   #9
jdd2007
NationStates
King

Quote:
what i get from the screenshots is that there are two map options - the real world-map representations with deserts, mountains, and such, and a borders map, which is basically a political map with all the cities and borders, with each country being a different color. There are only a few screenshots with the latter type, but they are there. look on the bonusweb site, they have both types.
could you gimme a link here?
Old September 20, 2001, 19:27   #10
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

IT'S VENNI VETTI VECCI

BOY ARE YOU --====CENSORED===----

Simcity map options
Old September 20, 2001, 22:48   #11
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 21:33
Most of those maps are quite useless.

Some of the useful maps - overlays, as per Big Crunch - are:

* happiness
* food production
* cultural border (I think they have this one in the game)
* military strength
Old September 20, 2001, 22:50   #12
Stromprophet
Warlord

Local Time: 07:33
Re: I'd like SimCity-like map options. Would you?
Quote:
Originally posted by PGM
I'd like to have some SimCity-like options around that little map graph on the bottom of the screen, having the possibility of activating different modes there, like:

* normal map (default)
* road map
* population density map
* population rate of growth map
* pollution map

If this isn't in already, I doubt that'll be enough time to do it, though. What do you think?
Actually that might be possible sometime. After all Sid did work with Maxis on Simgolf. So maxis could help work on a civ game.
Old September 21, 2001, 05:42   #13
Fresno
Warlord

Re: Re: I'd like SimCity-like map options. Would you?
Quote:
Originally posted by Stromprophet
After all Sid did work with Maxis on Simgolf. So maxis could help work on a civ game.
I would like that, but I don't think it is likely to happen
Old September 21, 2001, 08:27   #14
PGM
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by TechWins
I thinks that a very good idea that would have added more "fluff" to the game. I say would have because I doubt Firaxis included this feature. Then again, you never know.
TechWins: My feelings exactly. I do see a couple of map buttons in the screenshots, I just wonder how detailed they are.

jdd2007: some people like micromanagement. I like to study my people the most I can, feel their needs, understand their problems, etc., while promoting the empire. I breathe my civilization! And if it's an option, you could choose just to not use it, just don't click the little button.

Urban Ranger: I don't think they're useless. Checking where pollution is is important, so you don't have to do it civ2 style, when you have over 200 cities, is an improvement. Also, finding where less developed areas are is important, specially since roads in civ3 are much more important than ever (trade and resources). About your suggestions, I like "happiness map" and "unit (military) density map". Cultural border is obviously in already, and food production is the same as what I'd already suggested, "population growth" (if a region is not expected to grow in the near future, clearly it's got some sort of food shortage problems).

I came up with this idea playing civ2 last week on an exceptionally large map and I was trying to choose the best possible route to build an X-large railroad line that would maximize my strategy, ie, connecting every city on the continent (even other civ's) while preparing a massive and swift global conquest with minimal loss of time, like I always do. This kind of map would help enormously in this kind of efficiency. Quickly finding pollution, food problems, unhappiness, etc.. I'm sure that these and other map-options would quickly prove useful to almost every player, and every emerging civ3 strategy. If nothing else, it would make the game funnier.

Last edited by PGM; September 21, 2001 at 08:41.
Old September 21, 2001, 09:03   #15
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 15:33

This sounds like a very cool feature, but I doubt that they are in the game.
Old September 21, 2001, 11:28   #16
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

all hail FirMaxis!
Old September 21, 2001, 12:01   #17
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Old September 21, 2001, 16:00   #18
d_dudy
Prince

Local Time: 07:33
Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
one thing i liked about SMAC was the "powergraph" and faction info that popped up on the bottom of the screen.
me too