Old September 19, 2001, 15:54   #31
TechWins
King

Local Time: 06:34
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Screenshot was deleted because of being in BMP and not JPEG. All new screenshots will be done in JPEG. I'm sorry if ths is an inconvenience to you.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Last edited by TechWins; September 19, 2001 at 16:56.
Old September 19, 2001, 16:02   #32
TechWins
King

Screenshot was deleted because of being in BMP and not JPEG. All new screenshots will be done in JPEG. I'm sorry if ths is an inconvenience to you.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Last edited by TechWins; September 19, 2001 at 16:52.
Old September 19, 2001, 16:07   #33
Fintilgin
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:34
Well, the video was an amusing little bonus for pre-ordering from Best Buy, but not really THAT impresive. Actually, (I'm such a bad person) I'm wondering if I can cancel my pre-order from Best Buy and get my money back. Primarly because I wonder if they'll get the game in at the same time as everyone else. My Best Buy seems to run a few days behind my Electronics Boutique. I'll likely buy the game at EB if it's out there before BB, and I'd be a tad annoyed at having spent ten bucks for just this video and little box.

It was only around 75 meg, so at seven minutes it wasn't terribly high resolution. You'd think with a whole CD to use, they could have given us a high-res version too, eh?

Also, I suspect this may be the same `Making of' video which is included in the collectors edition. At one point one of the Firaxians says something like: "If you've just purchased Civ3 then...". To me, that implies that this isn't a special `pre-order' video, and will be the same as that in the CE. Now, I'm not planning on getting the CE, but I hope the video is at least a bit higher resolution for those who do.

No overwhealming amounts of new info either, although some interesting music snippets that sound like they're probably from the game were playing in the background. Shaka showed up for the first time, on the back of the box, so I guess we've seen all the leaders now. Parts of it were preaty funny, like the words `They can raw deal you' and `We've ruined your life' appearing in large dramatic letters in front of a flaming background. That made me giggle a bit. Also, I noticed that some of the diplomacy screens had a different border then the one we've seen. More of an Egyptian style theme then the Roman statue one we've seen. No telling if this theme differs by government or if this was just an earlier interface. Remembering how things worked in CivI though, I'm hoping this is a government variance, and that there will be a `comparative power' indicator as well (ala the number of advisors in CivI).

Actually, having the BOX made me more excited about the game then the video did. Seeing it on the shelf in the store gave me a little jump, and the realization that it won't be that much longer before I get to play it. I'll probably prop it up in my kitchen somewhere (`cause I doubt Best Buy will give me my money back) and await the real thing. The little box does say Oct 18, but it also says `date subject to change' so I'm not holding my breath (much as I want to).

So the video was kinda fun, but if you don't want to pre-order from Best Buy or spend hours downloading it, you aren't really missing very much. It didn't really get me much more excited about the game, but then, I'm already at about the maximum I can get excited about it anyway.

Joe

Last edited by Fintilgin; September 19, 2001 at 16:26.
Old September 19, 2001, 16:25   #34
d_dudy
Prince

Local Time: 07:34
when you guys put the entire video on make sure it's in this same format because this works on my IE5 Mac. but i wish it was bigger
Old September 19, 2001, 16:25   #35
TechWins
King

Quote:
Fintilgin
Yes, the video did have a fairly low resolution but it was still a very cool video. Maybe it didn't include much new info but it was still awesome! So be gone with yourself, Fintilgin.

Last edited by TechWins; September 19, 2001 at 16:51.
Old September 19, 2001, 16:27   #36
TechWins
King

Quote:
but i wish it was bigger
Take that up with the mods & admids because I am only allowed to attach a 200,000 byte file. All the screemshots you have seen are as close as I can get them to the 200,000 byte mark.
Old September 19, 2001, 16:29   #37
Fintilgin
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by TechWins
So be gone with yourself, Fintilgin.
ROFL!

But gosh! It was so small!

Joe
Old September 19, 2001, 16:32   #38
TechWins
King

Screenshot was deleted because of being in BMP and not JPEG. All new screenshots will be done in JPEG. Sorry if ths is an inconvenience to you.

Last edited by TechWins; September 19, 2001 at 16:48.
Old September 19, 2001, 16:37   #39
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 09:34
TW, it might be possibl to save the files as JPGs (even Paint allows you to do this). This would let you give a better resolution screenshot that still comes in under 200 kb.

Thanks very much for posting these, by the way.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old September 19, 2001, 16:38   #40
TechWins
King

Quote:
But gosh! It was so small!
I know you are joking but if you have to zoom in a bit.
Old September 19, 2001, 16:42   #41
TechWins
King

Quote:
TW, it might be possibl to save the files as JPGs (even Paint allows you to do this). This would let you give a better resolution screenshot that still comes in under 200 kb.
You know what you are right. I'm going to go back through the old ones and new ones again tonight. For now I'm just going to post a few more (some may be old) in JPEG. Yes, you are welcome.
Old September 19, 2001, 16:42   #42
Fintilgin
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by TechWins
I know you are joking but if you have to zoom in a bit.
Well.... zooming makes it bigger, but blurrier to boot, so that's only so much help. Honestly, with a CD that can hold six hundred plus meg of information (entire games) it seems a little strange to have the video be such a low res when it's the only thing on it!

No biggie, just not quite as impressive as I was expecting.

Joe
Old September 19, 2001, 16:46   #43
GaryGuanine
Warlord

I think the ?s are red stacks of coins. I guess the gold ones are positive coins, income, and the red ones are like the Civ2 blue food things, outgo. I would think it's upkeep, and if it seems to change on different screenies, I bet it's a minor wonder or something, or simply different techs. Remember how the Colosseum got an extra happy face late in the game?

Gary
Old September 19, 2001, 16:46   #44
TechWins
King

All new screenshots from here on out will be in JPEG. All of the old ones that were donw in BMP will eventually be redone in JPEG.

Screenshot -
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	video1.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	2853  
Old September 19, 2001, 17:06   #45
TechWins
King

Screenshot -
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	video2.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	2854  
Old September 19, 2001, 17:12   #46
TechWins
King

Screenshot -
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	video3.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	2855  
Old September 19, 2001, 17:22   #47
TechWins
King

Screenshot -
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	video5.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	2858  
Old September 19, 2001, 17:31   #48
TechWins
King

Screenshot -
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	video5.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	2859  
Old September 19, 2001, 17:32   #49
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 00:34
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Hmmm, looking at this picture which was posted by someone on page 1 (too lazy to check ), im thinking those symbols represented by the ?? are "tourism" generating things... cuz that same symbol appears next to the buildings, and also in the commerce box... interesting that sam sites would increase tourism tho?? hehe
Old September 19, 2001, 17:34   #50
TechWins
King

This is actually one of my favorite parts of the movie.

Screenshot -
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	video6.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	2860  
Old September 19, 2001, 17:41   #51
TechWins
King

Screenshot -
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	video8.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	2863  
Old September 19, 2001, 17:48   #52
TechWins
King

Screenshot -
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	video8.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	2864  
Old September 19, 2001, 18:01   #53
TechWins
King

Screenshot -
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	video10.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	2866  
Old September 19, 2001, 18:06   #54
TechWins
King

Screenshot -
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	video10.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	2867  
Old September 19, 2001, 19:45   #55
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Local Time: 08:34
Awesome work Techwins, is there any chance one of the owners of the new video can scan the picture of Shaka?
Thanks
Old September 19, 2001, 20:38   #56
Stromprophet
Warlord

Re: Jaguar W....
Quote:
Originally posted by Provost Harrison
I think you have inadvertantly stumbled across the Aztec special unit, which would be the Jaguar Warrior...nice one sir Any chance of a picture of it at any point?
I believe you can see the unit at civ fanatics site.

They have most of the units. And there was one that reminded me of the Jaguar mods for most Scenarios involving aztecs.
Old September 19, 2001, 20:56   #57
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Maybe silly question...
I'm sure the answer is yes, BUT want to be sure...

Will we be able to customize civilizations as before, i.e. changing the titles, city styles, adjectives, etc.?
Old September 19, 2001, 21:23   #58
Stromprophet
Warlord

Yeah, that's all there. But now creating scenarios or new civs can be very easy with the civ specific abilities and special units.
Old September 19, 2001, 22:53   #59
Alex 14
Prince

Local Time: 23:34
The Zulu leader was revealed ages ago. Hasn't anyone seen it yet?? \
Old September 19, 2001, 23:10   #60
Stromprophet
Warlord

Yeah, it's on the back of the pre-order box.