Old September 19, 2001, 02:28   #1
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 09:34
Local Date: October 31, 2010
SP- who should they really go to?
Hmm, I think this may have been done before, but (I'm bored):

Ascetic Virtues- Morgan
Bulk Matter Transport- Domai
Citizen's Defense Force- Lal (redundant for Yang; show of democracy), but then again, Santiago's warrior citizens would...
Clinical Immortality- Morgan (who else could afford this?)
Cloning Vats- Yang
Command Nexus- Santiago
Cyborg Factory- duh?
Dream Twister- Cha
Empath Guild- Deirdre
Human Genome Project- Zak
Hunter-Seeker Algorithm- Roze
Living Refinery- Cyborgs
Longevity Vaccine- Morgan
Maritime Control Center- Pirates
Merchant Exchange- Morgan
Nano Factory- the effect of this SP would be most suited to Santiago, but only Zak or the Cyborgs would create it (most likely)
Network Backbone- Zak
Neural Amplifier- Cha
Pholus Mutagen- Cha
Planetary Datalinks- Miriam would be suited to this SP due to her inability to compete with other factions in the research department, though it really sounds more like something Roze or Lal would come up with; but for Roze this would be redundant
Planetary Transit System- Lal most likely
Self-Aware Colony- Cyborgs
Singularity Inductor- Zak or Cyborgs
Space Elevator- Morgan
Supercollider- Zak
Telepathic Matrix- Roze would love to have this, for certain; but the Gains and Cha have an affinity for Psi
Theory of Everything- Zak
Universal Translator- Zak, but probably sponsored by Lal
Virtual World- Zak, but the rights for it would be sold to Nintendo or Sony
Weather Paradigm- Lal
Xenoempathy Dome- Cha
Cloudbase Academy- Santiago
Old September 19, 2001, 02:30   #2
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

I deliberately left out Manifold Harmonics because, truly, who has the insight and mental ability to understand the powers of the manifolds besides the Progenitors?
Old September 19, 2001, 03:51   #3
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 02:34
Local Date: November 1, 2010
thread for the bored, hmmm? well I'm bored...
Planetary Energy Grid- Morgan, I guess, or one of the proggies.

I disagree on the WP, the WP stands for destruction of the fungus and paving the planet with a seething mass of boreholes, mines, farms and condensors.
The peacekeepers are all too nice (nice to planetmind, that is) to tolerate this sort of business.

Weather Paradigm- Yang, he's the type of guy which would much sooner control the enviroment than adapt to it.

Actually, an interesting question is: what effect should the WP have? I dont see how it would improve times for all terraforming. Increased productivity from farms (or increased rainfall around the base), and the ability to construct cheaper condensors earlier would be more appropriate.
Old September 19, 2001, 06:54   #4
Earwicker
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 08:34
Planetary Datalinks seems more Zak than Miriam. Her distrust of knowledge would seem to put her at odds with it. And Ascetic Virtues seems more fitted to Yang than Morgan and his luxurious lifestyle.

Other than those two, the list seems more geared towards "what's consistent with the factions" rather than "what would be most helpful to the factions." Very interesting!
Old September 19, 2001, 14:11   #5
Cybergod
Prince

Local Time: 14:34
Quote:
Originally posted by Anunikoba
I deliberately left out Manifold Harmonics because, truly, who has the insight and mental ability to understand the powers of the manifolds besides the Progenitors?
I should think most probably Gaians - think that they already have +1 Nutrient in fungus from start!
Old September 19, 2001, 14:59   #6
Sarxis
Emperor

The Manifold Harmonics is a tough call, and really the Progenitor factions would be the ones to first be able to utilize this SP. I do agree that Deirdre, and also Cha, would be very interested in this particular SP so they may understand the Planet Conciousness more; but so would Zak and the Cyborgs for it's reverse engineering potential; Morgan would love to exploit it's economic potentials; Miriam would use it as a gateway to draw closer to God; Lal would see it as a symbol of unification... etc...

In a way, it is the Holy Grail of SPs- maybe not so much in game terms, but it's underlying power (according to the story) is untapped, and is itself the root of the power behind Planet. It's full power is only realised in those other two great SPs- the Voice of Planet, and the Ascent to Transcendence. I see all three of these SPs as part of the same discovery.

Ahh, who am I kidding, I am full of crap! lol
Old September 19, 2001, 16:42   #7
Fitz
King

Local Time: 05:34
I think the Cult would be the most likely to get the WP. If you reread the faction desription, they revere planet but have no problem polluting and remake it into their image.
Old September 19, 2001, 17:54   #8
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 10:34
hmm cyborg factory... you put duh but they are already cyborgs! why do they need more? seems like something the drones or yang would do. plus you left out the nethack terminus but that is obviously roze. (but possibly even lal with his free flow of information crap.) and the ascentic virtues is probably the most anti-morgan project there is, even though it benefits him most .

the planet transit seems like a morganish thing though. but where do these 2 pop points magically come from? this project comes before the cloning vats.
Old September 20, 2001, 01:52   #9
aaglo
King

Local Time: 16:34
I would give the Cyborg factory to Mr Yang, because the tendency to make genejack factories (just a guess, but Yang narrates the first completion of genejacks IIRC). The cyborgic augumentations fits to Yangs ideology like a hand into the glove.
Old September 20, 2001, 07:11   #10
mark13
ACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 13:34
Just a quick note - in the blurbs.txt (or somesuch other text file) it points to Foreman Domai having the Cloudbase, rather than Santiago.
Old September 20, 2001, 17:31   #11
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 23:34
It seems to me that the narrator for a project's video is usually the leader who's "supposed" to get it. For instance, the Cloudbase Academy has a Domai voiceover, and the quote is from a "Cadet Induction Ceremony" - presumably at the new Academy. Even when it's not a leader who narrates it as such, there are often clues. The Ascent To Transcendence blurb is spoken by Planet, but it comes from Deirdre Skye's "Conversations With Planet". The Clinical Immortality video has always looked to me like it is set in a Morganic city.

That's not to say that there aren't neutral projects. Clinical Immortality, despite the video, is actually very neutral. So are the Dream Twister (it refers to a Spartan base, but it doesn't imply that they built it), the Hunter-Seeker Algorithm, the Weather Paradigm (the Gaian Acolyte's Prayer may or may not have anything to do with the Paradigm; it may only be relevant in that both symbolize harmony with nature), and even the Voice of Planet (Zakharov narrates it, but he never says he was the sole force behind the operation. He also refers to "our last-ditch attempt to save mankind from extinction", not "my"). You could imagine the Gaians and possibly the Morganites and/or the Peacekeepers collaborating with him on the Voice.
Old September 21, 2001, 10:02   #12
knowhow2
King

Local Time: 14:34
Mr P,
you do realize that they made most of the videos before SMACX so the vidoes made for SMAC didn't have the SMACX factions in mind. And when they made the new ones for SMACX I think they just put the SMACX factions there so they can be on some videos too. Besides Cha Dawn is the one talking in Planetary Enegry Grid, do you really think he's the one suppose the get it?