Old September 21, 2001, 20:20   #31
mactbone
Prince

Local Time: 08:34
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Or you could like managers because you're in the 1800s and you just conquered some pissant city with hardly any infrastructure, so you turn on the manager and let him have fun. Multiply this with any number of new cities once you hit industrialization and it makes more sense to let the AI build up the city while you control your core cities.
-Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"
Old September 22, 2001, 05:59   #32
tishco
Prince

Local Time: 13:34
i tried to like ctp, anyone else agree?
i did try to like ctp1, i really did but its so hard!
no city screen, the diplomacy is the worst ever, the way of movent and canceling annoyed me (the mouse) the way you clcked on the enemy but then the unit couln't and the next turn he moved there, the barbarians warrier conquering new cities with a warrier in, the odd stuff, like labarinth as a early wonder, the lack of exitement at doing stuff, dumb new units, the lack of enter being end turn,and the irritating battles

i'll try again but its put me off getting the sequal so i think i'll stick to civ III
Old September 22, 2001, 06:13   #33
DonJoel
Warlord

Local Time: 13:34
In my opinion Firaxis shouldnt make governors such a big deal as they do it. Even a newbie must think its funnier to build your own things than having the computer do it, and therefore programming governors is a waste of time.
Make a good AI instead.
Old September 22, 2001, 09:00   #34
mactbone
Prince

Local Time: 08:34
I don't think it's "funnier" to build things in a city that's two or three ages behind my core 10. Why does it have to be an either or choice, why can't we have everything? Plus, it's an option, if you don't like it, don't use it.
-Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"
Old September 22, 2001, 13:59   #35
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 02:34
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I tried to like CTP2, I really did!
I played CTP2 for a couple of days, then put it somewhere to collect dust. Then a month or so ago I installed MedMod and suddenly the game was worth playing.

Yeah, the diplomacy really really sucks in CTP/CTP2, it completely lacks humanity. It is painfully obvious you are playing against machines and not real live opponents.

I think that good AI is tied in with good Govoners, once they have Govoners which work on a global level the AI can utilise the govoners. The key to good govoners is a good understanding of game strategy, the best strategies are found over time, therfore the govoners need to be either intristically very flexible or easily modifiable. I actually think active advisor would be a better word than govoner.

I cant agree that building everything manually is fun. It may be for the first year of playing, but it does get tedious. Also, say that you have just reached the advance for Granary, and you want ALL bases to build granaries as there next production, is it really more fun to do this to every base? Using the CTP2 national manager gives me more time to manage my armies, and combat is one thing which is really fun in CTP2, once modded. (the diplomacy sucks, so there isn't much else to do for fun other than killing the enemy)