Old September 19, 2001, 06:21   #1
wotan321
Warlord

Local Time: 08:34
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Advances not appearing despite prereq
Help!

I created a scenario with some new advances and basically redid the tech tree.

Now, some of the advances don't show when its time to choose a new advance to research even though the prerequisites are fullfilled. They show up in the civilopedia and the tech tree, but they don't come up as options to choose where I need them.

How can I fix this?

Thanks.
Old September 19, 2001, 10:30   #2
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 07:34
I suspect the problem lies in the time period of these techs. Not all techs are available during the game, as the player must first complete an era (e.g. medieval) before researching far into the following era.

If this is the problem, you should be able to fix it. In rules.txt, one of the tech attributes is the time period. Change the missing techs to the same era as the prereqs, they should become available. If this isn't the problem, try to post more details...

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old September 19, 2001, 13:31   #3
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 13:34
Hey MdS - this is news to me - I thought that 'oedo's unfinished' had had the final word to say on these matters in an ordinary game and that in a scenario there was an 'open' tech tree - please enlighten me - more details pleeeeease...
Old September 19, 2001, 18:45   #4
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 07:34
I'm not sure I'll be able to enlighten you, SG1! In my monkeying with tech trees, I've found that the above increases the likelihood of those techs appearing. But as we all have found, not all available techs appear when it's time to select your research target. The time period seems to make it more likely, but still does not guarantee it, as far as I can tell.

Also, research in early landings has shown that you can discover advanced flight before you ever research the wheel. So clearly any time period limit is not rigid or too far reaching.

I've never tried making all techs the same period. This might tell us if there is a limit to the number the game will make available.

Wotan321, do any of the prerequisites have a "no" prereq of their own? That could mess things up, too.

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old September 19, 2001, 20:00   #5
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 05:34
can you post a copy of your new rules.txt?

if you haven't allready,try asking in the Scenario League forum
Old September 19, 2001, 20:06   #6
Cedric Greene
Chieftain

I remember reading somewhere that there is a random system to decide what tech appears for research it has some thing to do with the year, related to Oedo's research I believe. There is a 1 in3 chance I believe of the tech your looking for not appearing if I remember correctly.
Anyway as related to this rules.txt just make sure you check the spelling and capatalization of everything that tends to be the biggest problems with homemade techs.
Old September 19, 2001, 22:25   #7
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 15:34
I think it has to do with what difficulty level you play on, the higher difficulty levels randomize what techs that should be choosable each time you may pick.
Old September 20, 2001, 05:29   #8
wotan321
Warlord

Aaaah, problem solved. All the advice provided was valuable, and the scneario is working as desired. This was the first time I really overhauled the rules.txt file instead of making minor changes, and it was a lot of work despite the information and utiilities found on the web. Your feedback was very helpful. I just needed something to distract me until Civ3 hits the market.

What is the "Oedo" (msp?) information I see mentioned? I had a hard time locating anything on the internet about tech-tree and advances in the rules.txt file.

I sure do hope the scenario creation tools in Civ3 are a little less hard wired, so that almost anything goes.

Again, thanks for all the help.
Old September 20, 2001, 06:12   #9
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 13:34
The Great Library gives this link http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum3/HTML/001533.html to "Oedo's unfinished" thread - it still works (predates the vBB days) but the graphics are dead ...