Old September 19, 2001, 13:47   #1
red_jon
NationStates
King

Local Time: 13:35
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Alternative wonders
Perhaps wonders could be civ-based (BTW, I do know it is waaaaay too late to put ideas such as this forth). For example, the 'symbol of freedom' wonder could vary from civ to civ. For the US it would be the Statue of Liberty, for the UK Big Ben/ Houses of Parliament or something.
The wonders could even vary in production costs in each civ (there is a considerable difference in the resources it take to build the statues as it does big ben).

Perhaps minor wonders could work on this principle.
Old September 19, 2001, 14:02   #2
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 08:35
sounds like a great idea Red John, although maybe it is too late in the game.

but who said it wasn't already implimented? we saw pictures of the Pentagon didn't we? Could that be the a Military Academy for the Americans?

-Off Topic-

i see that you have an american flag as your avatar, and i know you're british from past posts.

thank you for your support.
Old September 19, 2001, 15:29   #3
red_jon
NationStates
King

Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
sounds like a great idea Red John, although maybe it is too late in the game.

but who said it wasn't already implimented? we saw pictures of the Pentagon didn't we? Could that be the a Military Academy for the Americans?

-Off Topic-

i see that you have an american flag as your avatar, and i know you're british from past posts.

thank you for your support.

Maybe a system like this is implemented, but I don't think it will extend to varying production costs per civ.
Old September 19, 2001, 15:34   #4
jdd2007
NationStates
King

Local Time: 09:35
thats a good idea but what would the iroquis have? zulus?
Old September 19, 2001, 15:37   #5
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 07:35
Quote:
I'd imagine that if this were implemented, they would get generic sounding wonders (great cathedral, military academy, etc.)
Old September 19, 2001, 15:44   #6
red_jon
NationStates
King

Quote:
Originally posted by jdd2007
I don't believe the Iroquis should be in the game - they didn't build cities and they certainly didn't build city improvements.

But that's off-topic.

What Kyller said.
Old September 19, 2001, 23:43   #7
Mongoloid Cow
Warlord

Local Time: 23:05
Who are the Iroquois???
Old September 20, 2001, 00:03   #8
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 09:35
I have been thinking about this too. Wonders, in reality, are civ specific, and have been directly related to a nation's greatness during it's 'Golden Age'.

Pyramids, Collosus, Colliseum, etc. each were created by a specific nation (civ) either to enhance that nation's greatness, or as a monument of it's greatness.

In game terms, it would really allow for each civ to 'shine' during its historically accurate 'golden age' when they build their civ specific wonders.
Old September 20, 2001, 00:10   #9
aaglo
King

Local Time: 16:35
Re: Alternative wonders
Quote:
Originally posted by red_jon
... For example, the 'symbol of freedom' wonder could vary from civ to civ. For the US it would be the Statue of Liberty, for the UK Big Ben/ Houses of Parliament or something...
Statue of Liberty for US? You're joking, right? That was a gift from France. That hardly qualifies as a national wonder. A better national wonder IMO would be Mount Rushmore (though it has nothing to do with freedom ) or Yellowstone natural park (or what ever is the correct name). But the civ-specific wonder would be a nice feature, but I doubt that it ever will see daylight.
Old September 20, 2001, 01:33   #10
red_jon
NationStates
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Mongoloid Cow
Who are the Iroquois???
A tribe of Native Americans.
Old September 20, 2001, 07:55   #11
Ribannah
Queen

Local Time: 14:35
Location: The Netherlands, Embassy of the Iroquois Confederacy
Quote:
Originally posted by red_jon
A tribe of Native Americans.
Not quite. The Iroquois stand for a federation of several tribes, very modern for the time. There's a whole thread about them somewhere, and lots of info to be found with a simple Yahoo search. Or you can wait for the Iroquois to be the Civ of the Week.

LOVE HIAWATHA!! LOVE HIAWATHA!!
Old September 20, 2001, 11:45   #12
GaryGuanine
Warlord

See, I like the Statue of Liberty. It really was the symbol of America when the immigrants were coming over, which I think really defines who we are. I don't necessarily think it should get rid of anarchy between governments, or whatever it does now, but it's really a symbol of America.

And the Pentagon could still be called the Pentagon, even if the Iroquois build it. It's not like it's the "Thomas Jefferson War Building" or the "U.S. Army Headquarters", it's a five sided building called just that. The Civ team has done a pretty good job of removing references to specific areas in the naming of their wonders, "Colossus", "Pyramids", "Adam Smith's Trading Company". They could have easily equated Adam Smith's with the London exchange, but they didn't. The only one I can think of is the Manhattan Project, which still kind of applies to all civs, since it was a code name, and wasn't in Manhattan anyway. It's not like "Los Alamos National Laboratory" or something.

Gary