Old September 24, 2001, 14:56   #31
Howitzer Al
Chieftain

Local Time: 07:40
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Stuie

If you've been paying attention I'm sure you realize that the Mongols are not included in Civ3. Anyway...

I think people are jumping to conclusions when it comes to how the game will or will not play. Why don't we let Firaxis playtest and balance the game and release it? The only way to determine if the game is a predictable rehash is to actually wait and play it. It's amazing to me that there are so many people eager and willing to trash a game before anyone has even played it.
I agree, Stuie. I feel that us Civvers should provide as much feedback to Firaxis as is reasonably possible, but we should also take into account that we're not going to understand (and be able to intelligently comment on) most of the nuances of gameplay until we play it for ourselves.
When Civ II was being developed, I doubt that anyone could have come up with ICS just based on what they'd heard about the game! )
While others rejoice that He put roses among the thorns.
Old September 25, 2001, 18:16   #32
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 02:40
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Unless you've played SMAC it is difficult to appreciate the concept of each faction having unique bonus's/penalties. What you come to realise, is that having 14 unique factions actually, remarkably, inconcievably, results in greater diversity than having 14 identical factions.

You have to understand how bonuses work, having a bonus, for example: cheaper science, does not condemn a civ to being a builder which tries to out tech everyone, instead they could use the tech advantage to quickly research to a early but powerfull military unit, and go on a warpath.

Likewise a civ with military bonus could easily decide to use that advantage to defend their own holdings, a military advantage can be great for a builder, because it means they aren't as vunerable to the war mongers.

Basically, a bonus can be used to either cover weaknesses or build on the strengths of existing strategies, the bonus in itself does not create any new strategy.
As long as the AI is designed right, the player still has to worry just as much about WHICH strategy the AI chooses to use.

- Blake
Old September 25, 2001, 18:35   #33
Madine
Rise of Nations Multiplayer
Warlord

Local Time: 07:40
Local Date: October 31, 2010
That's true Blake.

The problem is that if the AI personalities are based on the cic strengths, the games will be predictable.

I think that the best solution would be to have a choice between historical AI (leadership) and random AI.