Old September 21, 2001, 16:00   #1
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Local Time: 09:40
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Infogrames stock plummets 27% today...
http://investor.stockpoint.com/quote...e=&Symbol=IFGM

Does anybody have any idea of the reason? Obviously, this is a HUGE deal and underscores how tough this business can be.

Obviously, Civ3 will represent a good portion of Q3 and Q4 revenues. Anybody have information on the status of the game, before we start speculating?
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old September 21, 2001, 16:09   #2
Dida
Prince

Local Time: 13:40
Dow and the NASDAQ are both down close to 14% this week, all those Blue chips are losing big time. Infogames is only a little tiny thing that goes with the flow.
Old September 21, 2001, 16:13   #3
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 00:40
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Seems like a good time to invest in them then. Assuming they survive until Civ 3 is released, they should be raking it in then. But then again, im not an accountant or anything...
Old September 21, 2001, 16:18   #4
Darkknight
NationStates
Prince

Yeah I think a lot of people are selling all their Western technology shares and buying up oil and weopon shares.
Petrol just went up 4p today! 1p yesterday!
That's unleaded, diesel you'd expect to go up more but it isn't?
If you buy a load of infogames shares now then you should get a load when civ3 and MOO3 release. MOO3 is infogames isn't it.
though Europa Universalis 2 is being released at the same time and is supposed to sell a lot more then civ3!
EU sold so little cause it was online to download the day it was released No Cd needed
though I can't find a site that has it after NewYork and now with Nimda
Old September 21, 2001, 16:46   #5
DanS
Deity

The markets were down 14% the last week, but Infogrames was down about 50% overall. 66% decline in September alone. That's smoke! So what's the fire?

GT interactive isn't doing as well as they thought--is this going to tank the whole company? Sure hope Firaxis has a good contract...
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Last edited by DanS; September 21, 2001 at 17:28.
Old September 21, 2001, 17:18   #6
Slax
Prince

Local Time: 08:40
Oops. Thought there was an announcement about MP...
Old September 21, 2001, 17:41   #7
faded glory
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Guys Stocks are big trouble for the company. The Stocks are like merit badges, the higher the price, the higher the capital.

This is not good news for any of you wondering. If it goes down another, oh say, 50-70% of its current value. You can kiss Civ3 goodbye for some time...

Yes Infrogames is a spec on a elephants ass. And has no choice but to go with the elephant. If the trend continues, it will scare investors away further.

But I think the market will recover. A few weeks the stocks will have bounced back...the money will be flowing again. I doubt Infogames will lose as much value as I said. But hey, if the downturn persists, nobody knows.
Old September 21, 2001, 17:58   #8
isaac brock
Warlord

oh, you're right... we can kiss civ3 goodbye. Because it makes sense for them not to release a game that they expect to sell tons of copies of.

I think if they're losing money they'd want to release civ 3 faster, not slower. Don't make everyone so upset over your childish and irrational opinions.
Old September 21, 2001, 18:00   #9
Dida
Prince

Civ3 is so close to completion it's suicide for Infogames not to release it.
Old September 21, 2001, 18:06   #10
dennis580
Warlord

Local Time: 07:40
I hope this won't jepordise the Civ3 expansion pack.
Old September 21, 2001, 18:11   #11
DanS
Deity

"Don't make everyone so upset over your childish and irrational opinions."

Isaac: ease up, cowboy. Take that crap elsewhere, please.

FG is right in that a drop this precipitous (66% in less than a month!) can have a very real impact on Infogrames' ability to find additional cash and to do business with its retailers, distributors, and publishers. And that can have a very real impact on its ability to publish games--otherwise the stock wouldn't have dropped so precipitously.

Last edited by DanS; September 21, 2001 at 18:18.
Old September 21, 2001, 18:17   #12
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 06:40
Hmm, some food for thought...Thanks for the update DanS.
Old September 21, 2001, 18:22   #13
isaac brock
Warlord

I'm sorry. where would you like me to take my crap?

Yes, it could affect infogrames' ability to publish games. I believe it will mostly set back the games that aren't as important to their livelihood. Whether my comments are crap or not, I don't think there's any reason to aggravate people with wild speculation based on flimsy evidence.
Old September 21, 2001, 18:22   #14
DanS
Deity

Wittlich: I'm looking for information. A 27% drop in one day has some news attached to it.

Isaac: people will come to their own conclusions. Let them. Thanks.
Old September 21, 2001, 18:25   #15
PGM
Prince

IMO Infogrames' market value variation will not interfere with Civ3. This project is 99% ready and a simple delay on the release would prove disastrous to this year's sheet balance and thus reflect even more in the stock value. However, future projects, if the course of events remains unchanged (not likely), might be affected.
Old September 21, 2001, 18:28   #16
isaac brock
Warlord

Pay close attention to PGM, sons. He speaks the truth passed down to him by the grace of a loving, benevolent god.
Old September 21, 2001, 19:03   #17
DanS
Deity

"This project is 99% ready and a simple delay on the release would prove disastrous to this year's sheet balance and thus reflect even more in the stock value."

PGM: so true. Considering this is the case, there are few other places to look for bad news of such magnitude. Civ3 may represent some 20% of Infogrames' revenue for the next couple of quarters, and upwards of a quarter of their publishing revenue. (I'm talking here about the US subsidiary, which is publishing Civ3 and which has the ticker posted above).

Last edited by DanS; September 21, 2001 at 19:08.
Old September 21, 2001, 20:05   #18
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 21:40
Hm, what about SidGolf?
Old September 21, 2001, 20:17   #19
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 03:40
Quote:
Originally posted by DanS
The markets were down 14% the last week, but Infogrames was down about 50% overall. 66% decline in September alone. That's smoke! So what's the fire?

GT interactive isn't doing as well as they thought--is this going to tank the whole company? Sure hope Firaxis has a good contract...
DanS,

1. I expect the sftware stocsk to get hit harder than the market as a whole.

2. It could just be one of those days today for Infogrames.

3. If there is a specific cause for the drop...do you know if they are covered by any analysts? Market cap is quite small...
Old September 21, 2001, 20:19   #20
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by isaac brock
oh, you're right... we can kiss civ3 goodbye. Because it makes sense for them not to release a game that they expect to sell tons of copies of.

I think if they're losing money they'd want to release civ 3 faster, not slower. Don't make everyone so upset over your childish and irrational opinions.
And we did see a speedup wrt to Civ3 and some more financial oriented (vice "art" decisions) wrt MP.
Old September 21, 2001, 20:20   #21
DanS
Deity

I thought SidGolf was being published by EA.

GP: re the vice art, thinking about the revenue model of the Ultima Online series makes me want to lock up my wallet and lose the key wrt Civ3 mp...

As to the market cap, the Wilshire 5000 didn't experience any particular crunch. But true--any number of things could have happened. Just look at Disney yesterday...

Last edited by DanS; September 21, 2001 at 20:41.
Old September 21, 2001, 20:41   #22
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Just think if Markos got paid a couple bucks an hour per person on-line here. At 100 persons/hour (average) that works out to $200/hr. Assume 80% collection cause of down-time, non-paying helpers, and slop. That's 160/hr. Times 8760 hours. That's 1.4 million/year!! Even at a dollar an hour, that's .7 mil/year!! I think they could do away with the ads then. Pay for better server hosting. Include the software costs, et. al. And spend more time, fixing stuff on the site.
Old September 21, 2001, 20:42   #23
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

They are doing MOO3, no?
Old September 21, 2001, 20:44   #24
Moral Hazard
King

IFGM is a loser. Two things they're software as GP pointed out and they haven't turned a profit in the last two years, but their stock price stayed pretty much level through out until recently. They're also primarily PC (72%) instead of consule which hurts. Basically they needed a good beating. 2.61 may be a bit low but 11 was way to high.

Eidos is also getting beaten for similar reasons. In fact the two's price patterns are very similar.

I often invest in game companies so I did research on them a while back.
Old September 21, 2001, 20:44   #25
DanS
Deity

And I would have to sell my left nut for medical research! Just say no to the alternative revenue model!
Old September 21, 2001, 20:47   #26
faded glory
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Quote:
Originally posted by isaac brock

And just how are you going to ship out millions of copies when you have no capital

Pull it out of yer arse?

You think distrubors are retailers are going to say "We will take it for free, just promise us it sells good!"

Hah

I know what im talking about mr.Brock. You dont!
Old September 21, 2001, 20:50   #27
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Oh, come on!! Software costs very little to produce and duplicate. The costs are in the development. They will ship a selling game. At that point it's got a huge contribution to earnings. And even if they were in extremis, they would just sell the license to smoebudy else.
Old September 21, 2001, 20:52   #28
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Anybody interested in my Apolyton revenue model?
Old September 21, 2001, 20:56   #29
Moral Hazard
King

Quote:
The costs are in the development
They're actually in marketing if the financial statements are to be believed. Civ3 will be fine, but what about Civ3MP.
Old September 21, 2001, 20:56   #30
DanS
Deity

GP: are you baked?!

It would just be a license for MarkG and DanQ to sit around on their asses all day watching TV and waiting for the checks roll in.

Then you would never get branching threads!