Old September 23, 2001, 08:59   #31
d_dudy
Prince

Local Time: 07:41
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by isaac brock
Well, in that case, I'm sure there is absolutely no defense for missiles, which makes a giant hole in the game, so it shouldn't be released until the after the fifth coming of christ is well past finished.

?what are you saying?
Old September 23, 2001, 11:00   #32
FrostyBoy
Emperor

Local Time: 21:41
Roland: This piece of infomation to me is extremely dissappointing, I remember when I played Civ1 and for weeks of playing, finally playing a good game, and a huge surprise to me, I find I can build a spaceship and land on Alpha Centauri, now it's been taken out!?!

I THOUGHT THIS WAS GOING TO BE A STEP UP FROM CIV2, NOT A STEP BACKWARDS

I maybe jumping to conclusions, but somehow I have this feeling that this awful news is true.

Those of you who are being optimistic, you are being TOO optimistic!!!!!!! This is silly!!

MarkG: I was aware, and I didn't care, this is how I feel and Firaxis needs to know they are doing the wrong thing, again and again.

Old September 23, 2001, 11:25   #33
Haphazard
Warlord

Local Time: 13:41
Quote:
Originally posted by Sn00py
Roland: This piece of infomation to me is extremely dissappointing, I remember when I played Civ1 and for weeks of playing, finally playing a good game, and a huge surprise to me, I find I can build a spaceship and land on Alpha Centauri, now it's been taken out!?!
Eh? The spaceship is in, though it seems to be a one size fits all ship. If they're all the same, whats the point of playing out the same till it ends? Re: Nightwing.

Edition 102 of PCG (November) comes out in the shops in UK on Wednesday in case anyone wants to check it out. PCG seem quite sure of a November release date in the UK for Civ3.
Old September 23, 2001, 12:13   #34
OneFootInTheGrave
King

Quote:
Originally posted by saracen31
I like the smart weapons idea - to bomb factories or temples in another city. Good options.

Also like the spaceship launching, not arriving. It always drove me nuts when I'd launch a big spaceship, only to have some other Civ launch a smaller one 6 years later & beat me to Alpha Centauri.
that happened to you?

LOL
Old September 23, 2001, 12:53   #35
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 15:41
Quote:
Originally posted by Sn00py
MarkG: I was aware, and I didn't care, this is how I feel and Firaxis needs to know they are doing the wrong thing, again and again.
if you cant express yourself on these forums in a civilized manner, please dont it at all....
Old September 23, 2001, 16:34   #36
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 00:41
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by ancient
In civ2 you could build a better ship after someones and land it first.
In Civ 3, you cant build a better ship!! Its one ship fits all No more building slow, large ships, or small, fast ones, the ships are now all the same size. So they all travel the same speed, and reach AC x years after they are launched. If the Persians launched 3 years after you, they would land 3 years after yours did... So its not much difference to win on launch than to win on landing.
Old September 23, 2001, 17:17   #37
Xmudder
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:41
Smart Bombing worries?
Don't worry about smart bombs. You can build SAM Batteries to defend yourself, and after you have 5 of these, you can build the SDI small wonder.
Old September 24, 2001, 03:48   #38
gremalkin
Chieftain

I hope that these "smart" weapons are not 100% effective.. It would just be way too unrealistic.
Old September 24, 2001, 09:30   #39
Vrank Prins
Warlord

I like the idea of being able to capture units, it's a feature I know from COLONIZATION (also a SID-game). But in Colonization, besides the canons and braves (indian fighting-units), you can capture all other units. I would like it (though as far as I do understand not possible) if I could capture a tank or maybe even a nuke.
Old September 24, 2001, 11:28   #40
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 15:41
are partisans still in the game? is it possible to 'smoke them out' and 'get them running' in order to 'hunt them down' or do we still gotta carpet bomb them?
Old September 24, 2001, 14:44   #41
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 06:41
Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns

In Civ 3, you cant build a better ship!! Its one ship fits all No more building slow, large ships, or small, fast ones, the ships are now all the same size. So they all travel the same speed, and reach AC x years after they are launched. If the Persians launched 3 years after you, they would land 3 years after yours did... So its not much difference to win on launch than to win on landing.
While this is a good point, I find it unrealistic and don't particularly care for it. I think it should be based as it was before rather than the "one size fits all" thing they are doing now.

After all, why would every civ build an identical spaceship with identical parts? That's just silly. It cuts down on strategy, too. I loved being in a tense race to get my ship to Alpha Centauri first, and waiting those seemingly interminable years to go by until it landed!

Oh well, I'm sure it's too late to change now, so I will stop griping. Crap.
Old September 24, 2001, 18:45   #42
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 00:41
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I think the new spaceship makes more sense. Theres only so many designs for spaceships that could realistically be made to travel to AC, and any nation that has to fund these spaceships would always choose the smallest ones, as the cost would grow exponentially compared to the size. So each nations ship, on a macro level, would appear very similar...
Old September 24, 2001, 18:55   #43
PGM
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
I think the new spaceship makes more sense. Theres only so many designs for spaceships that could realistically be made to travel to AC, and any nation that has to fund these spaceships would always choose the smallest ones, as the cost would grow exponentially compared to the size. So each nations ship, on a macro level, would appear very similar...
I agree.
Old September 24, 2001, 23:37   #44
FrostyBoy
Emperor

None of this makes any sense yet, this has no reason why it can't land on AC.

Firaxis: "Hey lets make it so you have to build a spaceship that has no flucking purpose"

Thats the reality of it
Old September 25, 2001, 00:54   #45
Kumiorava
Prince

Local Time: 08:41
Somehow everyone seems to have forgotten that triumphing in the space race wasn't the only way to win the game before, and it certainly wont be now since more methods to achieve victory have been added (cultural and economical, was it?). The space ship might well loose much of it's importance in Civ3, so why b*tch about it before you've even had a look at the actual game?
Old September 25, 2001, 01:26   #46
FrostyBoy
Emperor

Of course I and I am sure others are aware there are other ways to win

but for me, I always prefer the tech path, now it just seems stupid