Old September 23, 2001, 14:57   #1
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Local Time: 15:43
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Stealing Firaxis' Ideas: A new city capture option for CTP2 :D
Quote:
(21 September 2001, 18:58 EST) Over on the CivFanatics forums today, Firaxis' Dan Magaha stated that when you capture a city, you have the option of either taking up its occupation or razing it to the ground -- regardless of city size.

In previous incarnations of Civilization , capturing a city with a size of 2 or more resulted in its automatic occupation of the invading army whereas a city with a size of 1 was instantly leveled. -DanQ
As I read this some days ago, I knew that it is possible to achieve this by slic. Civ3 should also have a language similar to slic, that's why CTP2 is superior to Civ2 - CTP2 is so moddable.

This small mod allows the human player and only the human to destroy a city afterwards it was captured. Now the player has two options, on the one hand the default option, keep the city and insert it into the empire. On the other hand the player can now pillage, sack and cause a bloothbath under the civil population. The player gains 500 gold and 500 pw for each pop of the city, but unfortunatly there is also a regard penalty for the player.

Here is the small readme text that I put into the MG_KillCityOption.slc:

To install this script just unzip the *zip file into your default CTP2 folder and open the file script.slc in your ..\ctp2_data\default\gamedata\ folder and add to the end of this file the line #include "MG_KillCityOption.slc". Afterwards go to your ..\ctp2_data\english\gamedata\ folder (if your using the German version it is of course the ..\ctp2_data\german\gamedata\ folder) and open there the file string.txt and add the line import "MG_KillCityOption.txt". If you want to you use these files with one of the mods you have to look for files with the according prefix like MM2_ for MedPack2 or CRA_ for Cradle or APOL_ for Apolyton Pack or APOLU_ for the extra large Apolyton Pack map version.

Here is the attachment:
Attached Files:
File Type: zip nccoctp2.zip (2.9 KB, 25 views)
Old September 23, 2001, 15:26   #2
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Re: Stealing Firaxis' Ideas: A new city capture option for CTP2 :D
Funny, I was thinking the exact same thing, you just beat me to implementing it

I was thinking though, we could even make this more interesting by refining it and giving it more options. I think not too long ago someone suggested adding the ability to sack a city (not capturing it but getting money from it), maybe that could be added as well? Actually, I think one should always get money for capturing a city, ala Civ1...
Old September 23, 2001, 22:16   #3
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 23:43
How about raiding. Send a raiding party in to "steal" gold and resources, and of course the obligatory, RAPE 'N PILLAGE!!!!!!!!!!!
Old September 24, 2001, 08:39   #4
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Locutus
I think one should always get money for capturing a city, ala Civ1...
OK here is the second version of this script file: If a city is captured the attacker gets now money and pw from it. It works know as a part of the victims gold and pw is stored in the fallen city. If the victim civ had before the city lost n it will loose n parts of its gold and pw and the attacker gains these amounts of gold and pw.

-Martin
Attached Files:
File Type: zip nccoctp2.zip (3.1 KB, 27 views)
Old October 16, 2001, 07:06   #5
Martin Gühmann
staff
Super Moderator

Here is the third version of the new city capture option slic. I lowered the gain that you get if you kill a city. (100 Gold and 75 PW for each pop as suggested by Hexagonian.) And now the slic file is multiplayer compartible the message goes now to every player that is a human player.

-Martin
Attached Files:
File Type: zip nccoctp2.zip (3.1 KB, 17 views)