Old September 23, 2001, 22:36   #1
Kaak
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 07:44
Local Date: October 31, 2010
the more i find out about civ3... (attepmt 2)
the more i am absolutely sure it is going to suck big time...gawd, these guys can't get anything right =(

Reasons:

the replay option. chances of them getting it right: 0%

no use of roads on invasion: are you kidding? how is this realistic again? I understand maybe not getting the full bonus, but a road is a road is a road is a road. Real life example: Afghanistan has 4 roads. Raise your hand if you think that IF the united states invaded, we wouldn't use those 4 raods. And what would slow us down? nada....

the graphics: gawd i hope they are better than the previews...will someone please go ahead and make a mod pack with the civ2 gfx in it?

multiplayer: oh wait, it isn't in this release.

diplomacy and culture points: sounds cool. you think it will work out okay? i don't....

troll troll troll troll troll

Kaak

PS- will someone please start a civ4 wishlist thread?
PPS- everyone listen to Spleen, i mean Bleyn and ignore me..i mean, after all, he has been here all of a month...

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."
Old September 23, 2001, 22:51   #2
Lung
King

Local Time: 23:44
Everything will be fine. Just ask Dan!

That's right! If you are the Aztecs, you will have a special unit that can move twice as fast as another unit, so long as it ain't a horsie. So fast, in fact, that you don't need roads! Then you can throw a dozen jaguar duds or so at a lone warrior to capture a city, so long as the enemy doesn't build tanks in the preceding 1000 years it takes you to get there by not being able to use the roads

What are the odds that combat will be like the CivIII screen saver? You know, the screen saver where it doesn't matter what attacks the city, the defending warrior always wins!!!
Old September 23, 2001, 22:51   #3
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 09:44
Ok.
Old September 23, 2001, 23:33   #4
FrostyBoy
Emperor

Local Time: 21:44
Don't forget, first to build spaceship wins, not land AC.

They're screwing the game up, just like Activision did
Old September 23, 2001, 23:52   #5
Stromprophet
Warlord

Oh let it go. The game will rock.
Old September 24, 2001, 00:12   #6
Rhysie
Warlord

Local Time: 13:44
Re: the more i find out about civ3... (attepmt 2)
Quote:
Originally posted by Kaak
the more i am absolutely sure it is going to suck big time...gawd, these guys can't get anything right =(

Reasons:

How do you work out this one? From the comments I hear I would put it more at 80%. You don't need a massive in depth reply, but it is clear they are recording city histories at least (Age of wonders etc) so they are probably going to make it quite in depth, more than I need certainly.

If you want it to prevent cheats, just play with people who are grown up enough to not cheat.
Old September 24, 2001, 02:41   #7
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 15:44
Well, the more I hear about the game the more interesting the games becomes. At present time there's no doubt it is many times better than Civ2...If you don't like it, don't buy it
Old September 24, 2001, 03:30   #8
redstar1
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG LegolandCivilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStates
Prince

Local Time: 14:44
Quote:
Your opinion, I reckon it might just be the best game of its genre ever, and possibly THE best game ever.... until Elite IV comes out of course Only my opinion though.

Quote:
Don't know how you figure this out. Anyway its CIV3, not FIFA2002 or Maddens. You are telling me that a big part of a turn based strategy game is a coloured map that shows the rise and fall of empires. A nice touch, but not worth arguing over.

Quote:
no use of roads on invasion: are you kidding? how is this realistic again? I understand maybe not getting the full bonus, but a road is a road is a road is a road. Real life example: Afghanistan has 4 roads. Raise your hand if you think that IF the united states invaded, we wouldn't use those 4 raods. And what would slow us down? nada....
Ask the Russians if they would advise sending tanks down the Afghan roads. They would laugh at you. The problem with roads are that they are easily defendable. There is little or no cover and the very nature of a road through a mountain pass allows countless ambush possibilities. The US, or anyone else in the world would not risk a land assault on Afghanistan if they knew what was good for them. I think that roads should not offer the same bonus to invading forces. Retreating forces would certainly set up road blocks, blow up bridges etc.

Quote:
multiplayer: oh wait, it isn't in this release.
Fine. Theres no muliplayer in Max Payne either.

Quote:
diplomacy and culture points: sounds cool. you think it will work out okay? i don't....
I think it will be great. Far more realisic. You now have to take account of your actions. No longer can you wage war without causing internal problems which manifest themselves externally as well. The game is about civilisation management, this is just something else for you to manage.

You are entitled to your opinions and I respect them. Doesn't mean I have to agree with them and just because you may be a regular poster on the boards doesn't give you the right to be heard more than anyone else. I think your arguments are shallow and bitter and I reckon you will buy the game, and love it. Else you wouldn't be here reading this board....

Dave
Old September 24, 2001, 03:31   #9
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Why, aren't we all so optimistic about this game I was expecting that this whole 'right of passage' thing was that it would be a violation to enter another players territory without having this signed; if you marched in with tanks, you would still get the bonuses of roads/railroads.

My concern is just one over the number of players in a game; I really would have liked to be able to use all of the 16 players at once in the same game but this seems to be looking increasingly unlikely

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old September 24, 2001, 03:43   #10
jdd2007
NationStates
King

look-everyone has a different idea for what they would like Civ3 to be like. It wont be perfect for everyone, but there is a lot of cool ideas that worked in testing. now if u think that it will suck, just dont buy it ...
Old September 24, 2001, 03:46   #11
Asmodean
Civilization III Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Quote:
Oh do shut up......

Asmodean
Old September 24, 2001, 05:27   #12
dainbramaged13
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
King

Re: Re: the more i find out about civ3... (attepmt 2)
Quote:
Originally posted by Asmodean

Oh do shut up......

Asmodean
agreed
Old September 24, 2001, 05:40   #13
Patriqvium
Prince

Kaak,
if the game is going to be the greatest catastrophe since the mixture of strawberries and olive oil, why do you still hang out here in Apolyton? Come on - this is a forum about the worst-looking, worst-sounding, simply worst etc. strategy game in all human history! And even worse - people (even the amoebas who made this catastrophe real) discuss here about it! So, according to my diagnosis, Apolyton is not the place for you.
Old September 24, 2001, 06:37   #14
Gangerolf
Prince

Quote:
the graphics: gawd i hope they are better than the previews...will someone please go ahead and make a mod pack with the civ2 gfx in it?
What's wrong with the graphics? I like them. Surely they're different from civ2's, but they're not worse..
Old September 24, 2001, 06:53   #15
Th0mas
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Asmodean - you said it!

Having spent the last five years lurking - this is the first time I felt impelled to express my views.

I am totally fed up with those people who are extremely quick to judge - and then spend too much of their time trying to force their opinions on the rest of us. There is nothing wrong with criticism, but please don't discard all optimism.

I base my own assumptions on past experiences:

1. Sid Meyer is one of the most successful games designers of the past decade.
2. CIV I was an absolutely fabulous game
3. CIV II is an absolutely fabulous game

Individual aspects of CIV II, taken in isolation, may not be viewed as the best implementation of game design. Nor can each aspect of CIVII be designed to meet everyone's personal requirements - However when all the bits are brought together you have a concept that can be describe as one of the greatest gaming experiences in the last 10 years.

It is very easy to criticised, especially when you don't have all the facts to hand - however a more mature approach would be to accept that not everything within CIV III will be exactly how you would wish it, temper this with the knowledge that Sid and his team know what they are doing (certainly more than certain posters in this forum) ......

...... and content yourself with a quiet confidence that the overall game, when it arrives will be just what you were waiting for.

6 years lurking, 5 minutes posting
Old September 24, 2001, 06:55   #16
KrazyHorse
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Provost Harrison
My concern is just one over the number of players in a game; I really would have liked to be able to use all of the 16 players at once in the same game but this seems to be looking increasingly unlikely
Didn't Dan state that we would be able to with a slight change in the rules.txt file and with the side-effect of screwing up the advisor screens?
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old September 24, 2001, 07:38   #17
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Yeah KH, but it would be nice to have seen such a number of opponents being integrated seemlessly into the game, eg, make the advisor screen more flexible so that it would use the points of a polygon depending on how many civs are in the game, so it could cope with 4, or 8 or 16 civs in total...I think that would be far better to do it. But it looks like such a number of civs isn't 'natural' for the game to handle, which is a shame...

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old September 24, 2001, 07:44   #18
KrazyHorse
Deity

I agree with you there. It does seem strange that they can't even design simplified advisor screens for the higher # of civs.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old September 24, 2001, 08:13   #19
Patriqvium
Prince

Well, if the game engine itself supports 2-16 civs, reprogramming the advisor screen should not be that hard for those freaks bent on modifying existing games...
Old September 24, 2001, 08:26   #20
DonJoel
Warlord

The game looks great so stop complaining.

The only thing I think will happen is that they mess up the civilizations so that some become far to powerful, but then you can just play without special civ-abilities.

But i´m missing to option to play without the unique units and golden age but not without the special civ abilites such as scientific and industrious and all that stuff, and vice versa for those who wants.
Old September 24, 2001, 11:38   #21
dennis580
Warlord

I'm all for anything that makes invasions harder. So I think not being able to use roads is awesome.
Old September 24, 2001, 11:50   #22
The Andy-Man
Prince

the only thing i have misgivings about is this culture points thing.

And the possibilty of there being to much micro managment.
Old September 24, 2001, 12:41   #23
fluxcapacitor
Warlord

Local Time: 05:44
Kaak:

You're an *******! You haven't even played the ****ing game yet! The *****ing in this forum has gotten so out of hand lately.

* for those who find the above language offensive: be sure and visit George Carlin's site
Old September 24, 2001, 17:30   #24
Kaak
King

Quote:
Kaak,
if the game is going to be the greatest catastrophe since the mixture of strawberries and olive oil, why do you still hang out here in Apolyton? Come on - this is a forum about the worst-looking, worst-sounding, simply worst etc. strategy game in all human history! And even worse - people (even the amoebas who made this catastrophe real) discuss here about it! So, according to my diagnosis, Apolyton is not the place for you.
--I've been on this site since before civ3 was introduced. I don't just post in this forum. Apolyton isn't just for civ3. I realize everything i've just stated is quite obvious, but apparently you missed it.

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."
Old September 24, 2001, 17:46   #25
ColdWizard
Civilization II MultiplayerGameLeagueNationStates
Emperor

Quote:
The game looks great...
no it doesn't

Quote:
...so stop complaining
no

No MP? No Civ3

kaak: you know this forum is mainly populated by the all-wise and -knowing "Civ3 is great, **** MP" crowd, so why bother?
Old September 24, 2001, 17:54   #26
Kaak
King

besides, for those of you who care:

I have a right to complain, I've spent a great deal of time on a complete civ3 community website with MarkusF that is absolutely beautiful =( (including a fair amount of time with the ladder)

So, when the game comes out, be sure to check http://civ3online.com

Old September 24, 2001, 18:04   #27
PGM
Prince

Quote:
Oh, and . Congratulations, keep showing up.
Old September 24, 2001, 18:14   #28
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

The more the I look at Civ3, the more I CAN'T WAIT!

Wonderful graphics, with unique leader animations. Unique civs, with personality (not the same variations of one civ). Resources and Culture, TOTALLY changing the way the game is played.

Bring on Civ3! I can't wait!
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old September 24, 2001, 18:23   #29
Sabre2th
King

Nobody here can judge the game, except maybe dan. What are you basing your judgements on? Some random text or low quality screen shots? Here's my recommendation:
[list=1][*]Log off[*]Stand up[*]Walk away[*]Come back if and when you have played civ3 enough to actually know what you're talking about. [/list=1]
Old September 24, 2001, 18:28   #30
ColdWizard
Civilization II MultiplayerGameLeagueNationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sabre2th
Nobody here can judge the game, except maybe dan. What are you basing your judgements on? Some random text or low quality screen shots? Here's my recommendation:
[list=1][*]Log off[*]Stand up[*]Walk away[*]Come back if and when you have played civ3 enough to actually know what you're talking about. [/list=1]
have you loggd off yet?