Old September 26, 2001, 14:02   #1
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 08:50
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Emigration/Refugees
I think Civ games need these issues addressed. America is a nation of immigrants and it didn't follow the civ's food growth = population growth model. Well, no one followed that model, but that's a different thread.

I think when large cities are being attacked, people should flee in the form of refugee units that are AI controlled. These units would be a different, reserved color, and would flock to the nearest safe city. This unit type could also be an "emigrant" unit, where if your people are unhappy, starving, or suffering from disease, they would flee the country and go to a nation that accepts immigrants.
Old September 26, 2001, 14:13   #2
Akron
Prince

I always thought the traditional population model based on food was wrong, but it doesn't look like its gonna change any time soon. Hopefully, Civ 4 will have a more advanced population model that includes immigration.
Old September 26, 2001, 14:26   #3
Madine
Rise of Nations Multiplayer
Warlord

Local Time: 07:50
I think that immigration and emigration would be good logical extensions of happiness and culture. People would tend to leave cities with low happiness and join happy culturally rich cities. Although I think it would be better handled abstactly than with units.
Old September 26, 2001, 14:34   #4
Iceius
Chieftain

Local Time: 14:50
Re: Emigration/Refugees
Quote:
Originally posted by SoulAssassin
I think Civ games need these issues addressed. America is a nation of immigrants and it didn't follow the civ's food growth = population growth model. Well, no one followed that model, but that's a different thread.

I think when large cities are being attacked, people should flee in the form of refugee units that are AI controlled. These units would be a different, reserved color, and would flock to the nearest safe city. This unit type could also be an "emigrant" unit, where if your people are unhappy, starving, or suffering from disease, they would flee the country and go to a nation that accepts immigrants.
Your ideas are intriguing and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
Old September 26, 2001, 14:39   #5
Rakki
Warlord

Local Time: 23:50
I think another thing that could be interesting is the effects of internal migration.... let's say if there's two cities that you own, and both are about equal size. The difference however is that one of the cities has a much better culture rating (maybe it's your capital) while the other is just crap (you've been busy building military units with it)

Then what should happen is that the inferior city starts losing population (to a minimum so it doesn't actually "disappear"90 to the culturally superior city. This would reflect the tendency for people to migrate to where there's better jobs and opportunities... let's say a 5% chance each turn that a population point decides to head off to the big city - but perhaps increased if the disparity is really really big.

This would apply even to cities from different civilizations..... unless you close the border or something in the diplomacy screen.
Old September 26, 2001, 14:46   #6
d_dudy
Prince

Local Time: 07:50
Quote:
Originally posted by Akron
I always thought the traditional population model based on food was wrong, but it doesn't look like its gonna change any time soon. Hopefully, Civ 4 will have a more advanced population model that includes immigration.
realize your complaints about civ3 have gone unheeded? start complaining about civ4 today!

i think we need a civ4 forum
Old September 26, 2001, 15:39   #7
jdd2007
NationStates
King

Local Time: 09:50
well i think that it would be hard to represent emigration, but civ3 has adressed the issue with the idea that civs with less culture lose cities to civs with more culture...
Old September 26, 2001, 16:39   #8
Asesino_Virtual
Warlord

Local Time: 10:50
Do u remember that funny thing in CIV I which when u had a city with a lot of luxuries, others citizens (of other empire) leaved their country to live in your city? Well, this will be implemented in CIV III.

So, problem solved.
Old September 27, 2001, 04:27   #9
Saint Marcus
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III Multiplayer
King

There is migration, if your culture is high enough citizens from other civs will join yours.
Old September 27, 2001, 04:35   #10
campmajor!
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Asesino_Virtual
Do u remember that funny thing in CIV I which when u had a city with a lot of luxuries, others citizens (of other empire) leaved their country to live in your city?
Huh? No, I don't recall that....
Old September 27, 2001, 05:09   #11
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 00:50
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I recall in one game of Civ I, an entire Zulu city (on another continent, that i hadnt even explored!!) defected over to my superior Roman culture!! LOL!! It would have been even funier if they didnt soon after capture it back... along with gunpower...

Old September 27, 2001, 05:41   #12
aaglo
King

Local Time: 16:50
Mr SielunSalamurhaaja (=SoulAssasin in finnish)

I have thought the same idea about refugees... I've done that very much due to the recent situation in Afghanistan.
There were refugees in SMACX; when human faction invaded an alien colony (or vice versa), the population of that colony was reduced to 1, and the rest was turned to refugees = 1 colony pod (=settler) per 2 population units. This could be implemented to the game with milder consequenses. Like population of the conquered city would drop to half with x number of refugees...

Or whatever... I believe that Firaxis has thought of this...
Old September 27, 2001, 11:03   #13
Fresno
Warlord

All former European colonies were built by immigrants. The Old World is formed by migration as well. Without Roman soldiers settling everywhere, French and Spanish would be speaking Celtic today. I agree, refugees and emigration should be in the game as well. However, I don't think it will be done .
Old September 27, 2001, 11:29   #14
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by campmajor!

Huh? No, I don't recall that....
Entire cities would revolt and join your empire....
Old September 27, 2001, 12:21   #15
Trifna
King

Local Time: 21:50
Immigration
I totally agree that the inclusion of the immigration factor would be a big plus. Now, the question is how to do it to be precise enough to be well included, and as general enough to not be complicated... We need to remember that immigration also has effects on culture, which doesn't simplifies the thing.
Old September 27, 2001, 12:24   #16
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Re: Re: Emigration/Refugees
Quote:
Originally posted by Iceius

Your ideas are intriguing and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
if you're going to quote Homer J. Simpson give him the creit
Old September 27, 2001, 12:28   #17
Faboba
King

Local Time: 13:50
Location: Scotland. I can't be more specific else they'll find me.
Re: Emigration/Refugees
Quote:
Originally posted by SoulAssassin

Hmmmmm

They have to think about balance as well as realism.

Think about it - you can make an enemy lose population by just attacking their city whether you win or not. Does that sound like something which can be exploited to you?
Old September 27, 2001, 20:53   #18
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Re: Re: Emigration/Refugees
Quote:
Originally posted by Faboba

Hmmmmm

They have to think about balance as well as realism.

Think about it - you can make an enemy lose population by just attacking their city whether you win or not. Does that sound like something which can be exploited to you?
It just means that you can't be lazy and leave 2 phalanx in a city when there are enemy armies nearby. Most of Civ combat is done army vs city, where in the real world, most battles are out on a front. As with any type of change like this, there are going to be changes in strategies that you need to think about.

'If I lose some population if an enemy attacks my city, then I should defend the area outside the city so the people would be safe'

Wow what an idea!

Rome never even had troops inside the city, defending it. And it stood the test of time (no pun intended). Present day American cities don't have troops quartered in them. It's more a question of gameplay preference. I prefer more strategy. Troops inside the city should cause unhappiness, not prevent it.