Old September 27, 2001, 13:05   #1
Xian
Warlord

Local Time: 13:52
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Why would you ever DELIBERATELEY RAISE the ocean level with teh un voting"
Is there any good reason besides the extremeley cruel "i-want-to-take-out-every-low-lander?" or perhaps "im-avery-cruel-pirate?"

Furthere more, is there any reason why you wouldnt want sea levels to FALL? Isnt that a GOOD thing (more land?)?
Old September 27, 2001, 13:47   #2
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 07:52
I am in a game where I am doing as you suggest and I am raising land using formers and the solar shade creating more land and with the added side effect of limiting the abilities of my opponents more powerful navy and his dang probeships.

But I can see situations where I might want to make a bigger ocean
1. As Sven
2. Any time that I have the most powerful navy
3. To create an even larger ocean energy park
4. To sink an opponent where I have more or better formers so that I can raise land and keep myself out of the water while they get sunk and lose bases or improvements

Just some ideas . . . .
Old September 27, 2001, 14:49   #3
Jeem
Warlord

Melting the caps is a green/builders dream, especially when you're losing a war. The most important factor is time - namely the time you get to regroup while your enemy is forced into building pressure domes. Factions like the Hive and Believers inevitably lose a lot of bases to submersion also.

If you play a build style, then more sinking is what you want because you will inevitably be better equipped to take advantage of it. It suits greens because you'll probably be able to adjust to more sea fungus a lot faster. Cutting off land bridges is another bonus. I try my luck with melting the caps as soon as I can, and will often bribe others to ensure it happens. Basically speaking, if you play around base infrastructure then you're on a winner with rising sea levels.
Old September 27, 2001, 15:13   #4
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 02:52
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The most obvious use is for when a bunch of dimwits vote in the solar shade
Old September 28, 2001, 03:19   #5
Tizzy
Warlord

I quite often lauch the solar shade to get more land. I prefer lots of land, mainly because I'm used to it from Civ and have not yet got to grips with having lots of sea bases and a huge navy.
Also, I find it quite funny when somone's large, scary boat which was appraching my frightened coastal town suddenly find itself buried under the expanding land
Old September 28, 2001, 04:02   #6
MariOne
King

Local Time: 15:52
Strictly speaking, the extra land does not "fall from the skies", but it's the waters that are retiring.
Thus, the ships would not be "buried" but stranded (sp?)...

your favourite nitpicker
Old September 28, 2001, 05:34   #7
fluffy
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Flubber
3. To create an even larger ocean energy park
That can be counterproductive if you are using a freshwater sea (best place for energy parks as enemies have a hard time getting in). This is because, like many of the other landmarks, it will lose its special bonus when the sealevel is changed
Old September 28, 2001, 11:25   #8
Tizzy
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by MariOne
Strictly speaking, the extra land does not "fall from the skies", but it's the waters that are retiring.
Thus, the ships would not be "buried" but stranded (sp?)...

your favourite nitpicker
thank you!

It would be even funnier if you actually saw the ships stranded on land though, and more accurate