Old September 28, 2001, 04:12   #1
Kramsib
Spanish CiversApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 15:53
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Location: PG's ID: 0000 Founder of PROGRESSIVE GAMES. Living in Leganés (Madrid), but born in SANTANDER
I wonder the same
First of all, hello to everyone there.

I am an Spanish boy who thinks Civilization is the best game of all.

I submited Apolyton yesterday so this is my first thread.

It would be good building cities under sea but I think there are some problems with the buildings inside them, for instance, imagine a colosseum under water.

Perhaps it would be better to build "submarine colonies", where you can construct naval / submarine units or take advance of some submarine resources, but where you do not have to keep people happy (like the ground colonies in Civ III).

I wonder if would be possible for a city which is near the sea, but there is no sea cell adyacent to it (one cell away from the sea), to build the port and the oil platform facilities.

That is becouse the computer sometimes build cities near sea but you cannot build these facilities and make your citie not so productive. Even I wonder if it would be possible to build an external port for this kind of cities in order to build naval units.

Thank you for your attention.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	german.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	3233  
Old September 28, 2001, 07:53   #2
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 08:53
This sounds like more of a CTP idea.

I don't like it because it isn't practical. I don't see sea colonies happening in the real world for probably hundreds of years just because the technology isn't there and the cost would be enormous.

Think about how much space a city takes up, even if you construct some kind of structure capable of supporting a lot of people there are other logistical considerations. Air, for one thing. This structure would have to contain some kind of bio-dome. An extremely large one to supply enough air for say 10,000 people. This structure would also have to be self-sufficient in terms of food production as well. Humans are already over-fishing the oceans and seas, so again, there would have to be room in this bio-dome for agriculture. And how do you supply sunlight to these plants? With lamps? How do you generate enough power to do this? Nuclear power might be the only option, but again, they are very expensive and require venting for steam. Also, is the question of radiation. And maintenance of this facility.

I just don't see underwater cities happening. Maybe underwater colonies where small groups of people collect resources.
Old September 28, 2001, 11:40   #3
Kramsib
Spanish CiversApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 15:53
Location: PG's ID: 0000 Founder of PROGRESSIVE GAMES. Living in Leganés (Madrid), but born in SANTANDER
Ok, ok, but...
I can understand that you think, cities under sea is an absurd idea. But it could be cool in "fantastic" scenarios, it opens hundreds of possibilities (a new view of "water world" or even to represent a part of the "Naboo" planet in a "Star Wars Saga scenario's". Think about it.

¿And what about submarine tunnels to join continents which are very closer one of each other? (for instance, the tunnel between United Kingdom and France).

¿And what do you think about the external ports idea?

Thank you for your replying.
Old September 28, 2001, 11:45   #4
Black Fluffy Lion

Welcome to Apolyton! I like the idea of underwater cities and train tunnels. It could be a minor wonder - like the Channel tunnel.

BTW cool upsidedown ?

Old September 28, 2001, 11:52   #5
faded glory
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 13:53
I dont see sea colonys being a real thing for another 1000 years yet. Too much money, too much Liability, too little benefit.

We are more likely to fully colonize Anartica first
Old September 28, 2001, 14:27   #6
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 07:53
Hello, spaniard! While you are here, go visit the Hosted Site - Spanish Civ II Site on the forums. There you will find muchos hispanicos (y gringos tambien ) discussing Civ and other topics.

By the way, I think underwater cities is a cool idea, but better left to scenario makers. It would need more than one terrain type to make it workable, which entails altering how the regular game works.

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.