Old September 28, 2001, 19:53   #1
dainbramaged13
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
King

Local Time: 09:54
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Gamespot: manual in standard edition
at this link, you will find that, according to gamespot, the standard edition WILL include a manual, contrary to what many people have been moaning about lat+++++++i always believed that firaxis would never gypp us that bad so as not to include manual in the Standard edition, but some people did, so here ya go...

"The limited edition comes packaged in a tin box, and in addition to the Civilization III game and manual, it includes an exclusive video of the making of Civilization III, another video of Sid Meier's induction into the Interactive Digital Software Association's Hall of Fame, designer notes from Sid Meier and Jeff Briggs, and a foldout guide to the game's technology tree."

my bolding, to highlight that it says 'in addition to," which implies that it is in the standard edition.
Old September 28, 2001, 22:05   #2
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Who thought that? The LE will have a 'special' manual...I think maybe that's what confused people.

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old September 28, 2001, 22:08   #3
Ozymandous
Prince

Local Time: 08:54
Re: Gamespot: manual in standard edition
Quote:
Originally posted by dainbramaged13
at this link, you will find that, according to gamespot, the standard edition WILL include a manual, contrary to what many people have been moaning about lat+++++++i always believed that firaxis would never gypp us that bad so as not to include manual in the Standard edition, but some people did, so here ya go...

"The limited edition comes packaged in a tin box, and in addition to the Civilization III game and manual, it includes an exclusive video of the making of Civilization III, another video of Sid Meier's induction into the Interactive Digital Software Association's Hall of Fame, designer notes from Sid Meier and Jeff Briggs, and a foldout guide to the game's technology tree."

my bolding, to highlight that it says 'in addition to," which implies that it is in the standard edition.
*rings buzzer*

Sorry, wrong anwser.

Your quote means that the tin wil include all of that other junk in addition to the game and manual. This means the LE will have the game and manual but in no way is either confirmation or denial that the RE will have a real, paper manual or not.

I'd hope that Firaxis and Infrogrames will include a real manual and fold out tech tree for both editions, but who knows. In the name of the almighty dollar I have seen past honorable companies do worse stuff than this (Blizzard comes to mind).
Old September 28, 2001, 22:19   #4
Rakki
Warlord

Local Time: 23:54
I agree with Ozy that a paper manual and tech tree should be in both editions. Personally I don't think there's much use for the limited edition. I'm not going to pay that much more money for a tin box and some video footage which I'm going to watch once then gather dust on the shelf..... bang for the buck thanks, not bucks for a bang....
Old September 29, 2001, 00:39   #5
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Alpha Centauri had (and needed) a big A$$ manual included; I can't imagine CivIII having less.
Old September 29, 2001, 01:54   #6
Madine
Rise of Nations Multiplayer
Warlord

Local Time: 07:54
Ozzy is right.

Although I still would have a very hard time believing that civ 3 will not have a manual.

After all, would it be worth it to make a manual just for the limited edition?
Old September 29, 2001, 01:56   #7
KrazyHorse
Deity

I certainly wouldn't want to open up the box to only find a jewel case and advertisements. Then again, I'm probably going LE.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old September 29, 2001, 02:10   #8
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Yeah, LE for me. Not that I usually get them (I don't need another pewter keychain) because of the added expense, but this will be one of those rare occasions.

Old September 29, 2001, 02:11   #9
KrazyHorse
Deity

Civ3 is special. I've played Civ2 so much it makes my eyes boggle.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old September 29, 2001, 03:18   #10
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

And designer notes should be fun .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old September 29, 2001, 03:29   #11
Warm Beer
Warlord

Local Time: 05:54
I can't imagine a new game not coming out with some sort of manual... I know some times we some have complained of an 'Ivory Throne' complex with Firaxis, but I doubt that they would stoop to the level of 'let them eat cake'.

I am planning on purchasing the LE because Civ holds a dear place in my heart (Cheeze Alert ) and have no problems plucking down an extra 10$ for an (unneccessary, admittedly) luxury I desire.
- Mahatma Ghandi, when asked what he thought of Western civilization
Old September 29, 2001, 04:17   #12
Bleyn
Warlord

Local Time: 06:54
Personally, about the only thing that would motivate me towards the LE box is the inclusion of more than just the one rumored(or is it confirmed?) extra scenerio on the CD.

Though I must admit that in days of yore, Infocom did prove that it was possible to include mostly useless stuff in a gamebox and have it be as cool as the game the stuff came with. I still mourn my loss of the Zorkmid from by copy of the Zork Trilogy. Well, I didn't exactly lose it but last I heard, it was at an uncles place in Texas with the rest of our Apple II stuff, and I ain't there.
Old September 29, 2001, 14:10   #13
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 15:54
after all if they DON'T include a manual and techtree folder ( a game like civ3 needs one imho) .what's the point buying the game. i mean this way one is encouraged to go for a pirated copy, no? ( i'm not saying i'm!! )

but if there not i probably won't buy the game, too complex and annoying to pick up detals from an in-game manual)
Old September 29, 2001, 19:06   #14
PGM
Prince

Local Time: 13:54
Quote:
Originally posted by Ozymandous
(...) in no way is either confirmation or denial that the RE will have a real, paper manual or not.
I have to agree, this is ambiguous and unfortunately doesn't count as a confirmation yet.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ozymandous
I'd hope that Firaxis and Infrogrames will include a real manual and fold out tech tree for both editions, but who knows.
Let's hope so. Sure, they have to make a clear marketing distinction between LE and RE, but that should come in the form of adding more to the LE, and not taking away essentials from RE. Also, this wouldn't help deter warez downloads either. I'd be very disappointed if I opened my civ3 box and found only the cd.
Old September 29, 2001, 19:22   #15
Asmodean
Civilization III Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

whine*whine*whine*whine*whine*whine*whine*whine*wh ine...maybe the standard edition doesn't include a manual... whine*whine*whine*whine*whine*whine*whine*whine... I am afraid that I'll have to buy the LE to get the real game... whine*whine*whine*whine*whine*whine*whine...

Maybe the standard edition won't even include the game CD. Maybe it just contains ads for future Infogrames titles, and technical notes for Civ3.

Jesus...how stupid can people get

Asmodean
Old September 29, 2001, 19:52   #16
dainbramaged13
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Asmodean
whine*whine*whine*whine*whine*whine*whine*whine*wh ine...maybe the standard edition doesn't include a manual... whine*whine*whine*whine*whine*whine*whine*whine... I am afraid that I'll have to buy the LE to get the real game... whine*whine*whine*whine*whine*whine*whine...

Maybe the standard edition won't even include the game CD. Maybe it just contains ads for future Infogrames titles, and technical notes for Civ3.

Jesus...how stupid can people get

Asmodean
lol... good post my friend
Old September 29, 2001, 19:54   #17
KrazyHorse
Deity

Really? I'm gonna assume that you're being sarcastic.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old September 29, 2001, 20:20   #18
jadlakha
Warlord

ur idiots if u dont think Civ III RE wont come with a manual. Its common sense. Every game comes with a manual(except for budget 10 dollar games). And basically the quote from from gamespot almost 100% gaurantees.
Old September 30, 2001, 09:50   #19
dasaecorvic
Chieftain

Disapointing
I hope the normal version will come with a manual and a tech tree poster as Alpha Centauri did.

If it doesn't I will consider very seriously paying to get this game.

If these things don't come with the game, what is the difference between a pirate copy and the original one?????

Old September 30, 2001, 10:00   #20
Rakki
Warlord

Local Time: 23:54
you get to look down on people with pirate copies and sneer
Old September 30, 2001, 14:04   #21
Nemo
Prince

I thought the LE also had "Civ I" included as a bonus, too?
Old September 30, 2001, 14:15   #22
Patriqvium
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Nemo
I thought the LE also had "Civ I" included as a bonus, too?
I think it was included in the cover CD of some American computer game magazine... however some people have speculated with the idea of including Master of Orion 2 (!) with the LE.
Old September 30, 2001, 14:20   #23
Nemo
Prince

I'd rather have Civ 1 over MOO 2, mainly because my floppy's went corrupt some time ago. But, heh, I still have the original box working ok