Old September 28, 2001, 21:56   #1
Giant_Squid
Emperor

Local Time: 08:54
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Uh Oh...
From "Ask the Civ3 Team"

Quote:
Hello, Will there be a cheat mode in CivIII? The reason I am asking this is cause every once in awhile I find my self in a bind and need to use the cheat mode from time to time. Hope I get an answer soon.

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin,
We're sorry to say there are no plans to include a cheat mode in Civilization III, though you could use the editor that will ship with the game to modify the game rules and make the game easier.
This is hard to believe. They said they're going to support making scenarios, but they have no cheat mode? Does anyone understand how that could be?
Old September 28, 2001, 22:07   #2
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

it probably means that if you are playing a regular game and want to cheat, you have to save the game as a scenario. this news does bring some doubts to firaxis's claims that civ3 will be scenario maker friendly at least in my mind
Old September 29, 2001, 00:08   #3
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 23:54
I think (and hope) that you're overreacting. Most computer games seperate scenario creation and gameplay.

Anyway, the question that got answered was about cheating to get out of trouble during normal games, not scenario creation, so don't read to much into Firaxis's answer.
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old September 29, 2001, 03:37   #4
BeBro
Emperor

Local Time: 15:54
I agree with Case...
... cheat mode is only necessary for an in-game scn editor. So it seems that Firaxis has decided for a separate editor, as long as it is powerful enough, no problem
Old September 29, 2001, 08:31   #5
Gothmog
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 09:54
Yeah, I never thought cheat mode was the most intuitive way to build a scenario. It's probably that the term cheat doesn't go along with the term scenario. It does sound like there is going to be a learning curve we will all have to face.
Old September 29, 2001, 23:09   #6
Goingonit
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Gothmog
Yeah, I never thought cheat mode was the most intuitive way to build a scenario. It's probably that the term cheat doesn't go along with the term scenario. It does sound like there is going to be a learning curve we will all have to face.
True... but sometimes it's helpful in scen design to integrate the design tools into the game. In Civ2, I like how you can see exactly what the player will see while designing the scenario. I fear we may lose that attribute. And come on, sometimes cheat mode can be fun...