Old September 30, 2001, 10:30   #1
Asesino_Virtual
Warlord

Local Time: 10:57
Local Date: October 31, 2010
How many squares between cities do u tolerate?
Yeah, how many?. I find the standar 4 squares is the correct (respecting the 2 square city radius). When i have to build a city with less than 4 squares away from other city, because i have to secure that peninsula, i really hate it!!!!. I hope that, with the new border feature, the "peninsula effect" will be resolved.
Old September 30, 2001, 10:38   #2
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 08:57
It depends which strategy I use.

Sometimes I do the 3 mega city strategy where I build three cities with no other city overlapping the city radius. Then, all the other cities after are mashed together as close as possible. Then, I build food supply caravans and send them to the 3 big cities. Each one increases the max size of the city by one half. So if I get 200 little cities, my 3 mega cities could grow to the size of 142.

Most of the time I just try to not overlap city radii, but I focus on claiming all the territory on my continent. So sometimes I have a few overlapping cities. It doesn't bother me though, since I usually beat the game before those cities reach their capacity sizes anyways. I don't know how I will organize cities in Civ3. I'd have to see how the border layout is organized.
Old September 30, 2001, 11:38   #3
Wexu
Warlord

Local Time: 15:57
Quote:
Originally posted by SoulAssassin

Sometimes I do the 3 mega city strategy where I build three cities with no other city overlapping the city radius. Then, all the other cities after are mashed together as close as possible. Then, I build food supply caravans and send them to the 3 big cities. Each one increases the max size of the city by one half. So if I get 200 little cities, my 3 mega cities could grow to the size of 142.
Maybe you should ... get a Life or something?
Old September 30, 2001, 12:47   #4
HalfLotus
Never Ending Stories
King

Local Time: 09:57
Quote:
Originally posted by Wexu

Old September 30, 2001, 13:28   #5
Patriqvium
Prince

I try always to build cities so that they do not overlap each other. And if the damned AI dares to distract my attempt of perfection, I declare war and ensure that the city that was built in a wrong place won't be there for long...
Old September 30, 2001, 13:32   #6
d_dudy
Prince

Local Time: 07:57
Quote:
Originally posted by Wexu

that kind of comment can get you flamed around here.....but not by me

i think the city radius can grow now so i'm gonna put them farther away from eachother at first.
Old September 30, 2001, 13:34   #7
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 14:57
When i have to build a city with less than 4 squares away from other city, because i have to secure that peninsula,

That is very annoying.

Its not so bad if you start off away from a peninsula because you can plan where to build your cities in advance. If however you build you first city and find that you've left, say, a 5 tile strip of land it makes me
Old September 30, 2001, 13:42   #8
bigfree1

I used to be annoyed that cities would have overlapping resource tiles; now I'm not so concerned as long as no more than one tile is shared

Old September 30, 2001, 14:10   #9
Nemo
Prince

Local Time: 07:57
as clsoe as possible without overlapping
the national boaders is going to throw my whole strategy off
Old September 30, 2001, 14:57   #10
Xmudder
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:57
I thought everyone know the optimal distribution of cities. You place your first city, and then build two more 5 squares (4 open) to either side. Then you build 4 more cities 4 up/down and 2/3 over, so that the 2 on each side of your diagonal are each 5 squares apart and you have only 2 overlapping tiles per city. Continue like this, building cities in diagonal lines offset from each other.

Can be difficult in Civ II, what with mountains, ocens, and lakes. Was a cinch in SMACx - just continue building into the ocean.

I'm not sure it will work in Civ3, though. For one, the terrain distribution is different, and you may end up with a mountain range where you want your city. Second, you only start out able to use the closest 8 city squares, so you can't position your first city to get specials at each corner. I don't know when the cities expand to the 20 worked square radius, and if they further expand to a 3 radius and 40 or so worked squares.
Further, you can always build a road to get you a nice resourse tile in a bad city building region, and build up culture in neighboring cities until your borders engulf it, but then you don't get the resource bonus.

It's odd, Iron and Bronze will likely provide shield and/or commerce bonuses to your city if you work the tile (Horses, for example, are +1 commerce and +1 shield)... but you won't even know that they are there until you develop the appropriate technology.
Old September 30, 2001, 16:04   #11
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 08:57
i dont really care how far cities are from eachother, as long as i am using every special resource in my territory.
Old September 30, 2001, 16:25   #12
Asmodean
Civilization III Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

I never ever overlap my cities, unless I really cannot avoid it. It's just not tidy enough for me.

Asmodean