View Poll Results: America an independent tribe?
Yes! God bless America! 217 47.28%
No! Only civilized nations deserve to be independent! 193 42.05%
I don't care. 49 10.68%
Voters: 459. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 1, 2001, 13:16   #1
Fresno
Warlord

Local Time: 15:01
Local Date: October 31, 2010
America isn't old enough to be in Civ3
This isn't going to be a popular opinion, but I have to say it. It is ridiculous to found Washington in 4000 BC! In a regular game, it takes 250 turns before it's 1490 AD. So it takes nearly half of the game before you're in the years Columbus made his trip to the west! It takes more as 300 turns before America's independence. Americans are just the descendants of some Europeans and Africans. So why are the Americans included as an independent tribe? Just because the US is the most powerful nation in the world? Austria and Turkey also were large empires once, and so were more countries which haven't been included.
Old October 1, 2001, 13:30   #2
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 08:01
Been there, done that.
Old October 1, 2001, 13:39   #3
Steve Clark
King

So you are saying that Civ3 should be a historical simulator instead of a civilization-based strategy game? That's a tired, irrelevant argument, imo.
Old October 1, 2001, 13:43   #4
HalfLotus
Never Ending Stories
King

Local Time: 10:01
Since when is America not a civlized nation?
Old October 1, 2001, 13:44   #5
Kc7mxo
King

Local Time: 09:01
Ahh. True that it takes that long to get to America's independance. however, thats only 2/3 of the game! Rome didn't last nearly as many turns as we have! In the 20th century alone there is 100 turns! ===ALWAYS=== When you toss in an extra 60 from before that we last for easily 150 turns. How many other nations can say that? not egypt. not rome. certianly not carthage. Babylon? Hah! Persia? NOT EVEN!

Plus, if we ain't in we're going to pull out the damn nukes and do some butt kicking.
Old October 1, 2001, 13:50   #6
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 16:01

i am the first to bash them but they have at least one wonder of the world - civ series
Old October 1, 2001, 14:00   #7
Pembleton
Prince

*sniff* *sniff* Do I smell a troll?
Old October 1, 2001, 14:09   #8
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 07:01
It's not age, it's importance.

Persia didn't last long as historical standards go. But at their height, they were the most important empire around.

Right now, America is king sh*t of f*ck mountain, and has been the single most important leader of world change over the past 60 years. Like it or not.

If you want to get rid of unimportant civs, I'd vote for the Iroquois first. And then the Zulus.

Old October 1, 2001, 14:29   #9
Asesino_Virtual
Warlord

Local Time: 11:01
Hehe Fresno, u should´nt mess with these yankees, they were getting more patriotic during last 2 weeks. Do this poll again, in, lets say, 6 months.
Old October 1, 2001, 14:38   #10
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

How many other nations can say that?

Most European countries, based on logic of time periods Iceland Denmark, Holland, Switzerland, Portugal etc should be in.
Old October 1, 2001, 14:53   #11
Roman
King

Local Time: 14:01
America should definitely be in the game. No currently existing nation has been around since 4000BC. Not even China.
Old October 1, 2001, 14:54   #12
Roman
King

Local Time: 14:01
I am an Atheist, so I cannot vote for America in this poll.
Old October 1, 2001, 15:00   #13
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Roman
America should definitely be in the game. No currently existing nation has been around since 4000BC. Not even China.
Another good point. Yeah, why are the Germans ok if Germany didn't even become a country until 1870s? By the logic of this thread, they only civs that should be in the game would be Sumeria and Egypt. Now there would be an exciting game!!!
Old October 1, 2001, 15:17   #14
Jamison
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov

Another good point. Yeah, why are the Germans ok if Germany didn't even become a country until 1870s? By the logic of this thread, they only civs that should be in the game would be Sumeria and Egypt. Now there would be an exciting game!!!
Germany has been around alot longer than 1870's. I have ancesotors going back to 2b.c. from Germany. I have records of ancestors from the 1500's. Germany has been around for a while.
Old October 1, 2001, 15:24   #15
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamison

Germany has been around alot longer than 1870's. I have ancesotors going back to 2b.c. from Germany. I have records of ancestors from the 1500's. Germany has been around for a while.
You will note that I said "became a COUNTRY."

There was no nation of Germany until 1870s. There were a ton of independent states with Germanic peoples, and Austria, but no Germany.

My point was you can't judge a civ based on its inception as an actual nation. If we look at America, it had been going since well before independence in 1779. The colonies were developed into an "American" culture as early as 1700. That's 300 years, about just as long as the Persian empire lasted. And many many years longer than Alexander's empire.

So let's quit griping about the Americans being in the game. They belong there as much as the English, French, Germans and Russians do.

Cheers.
Old October 1, 2001, 15:45   #16
Nemo
Prince

Prior to Germany becoming Germany in the 1800's, wasn't it called "Prussia"? which included current germany, poland, and austria? (maybe a few other countries too?)

I traced my ancestors to 1742 when they came from present day Germany. But, NEVER was there mention of them coming from "Germany", but it does say which "Rhine" (and sometimes it was referred to a "Germanic Rhine") they are from ...which is different than a country of Germany.
Old October 1, 2001, 15:46   #17
jdd2007
NationStates
King

Old October 1, 2001, 15:59   #18
Jason Beaudoin
Prince

America may not be old, but here are only a few reasons why this game should have the United States as a civilization:

1) Firaxis is an American company;
2) They will probably sell more copies in the US than any other country in the world;
3) Althought the US isn't old, it can count itself as one of the most influencial nations to have ever existed.
Old October 1, 2001, 16:02   #19
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Aztecs and Zulus didn't make their rise until the 14-1500s either...should we take them out?

What you're saying would also negate the entry of a Canadian, Australian, Brazilian, Argentinian, and Mexican civ into the game.

However, I think a different game, based on Civilization, where you started as one of the ancients or classics and spread would be awesome...in that case there would be no American civ...or any of the others mentioned earlier.

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old October 1, 2001, 17:25   #20
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

anyone who says "america isnt a civ" really needs a reality check.

civ·i·li·za·tion (sv-l-zshn)
n.
An advanced state of intellectual, cultural, and material development in human society, marked by progress in the arts and sciences, the extensive use of record-keeping, including writing, and the appearance of complex political and social institutions.
The type of culture and society developed by a particular nation or region or in a particular epoch: Mayan civilization; the civilization of ancient Rome.
The act or process of civilizing or reaching a civilized state.
Cultural or intellectual refinement; good taste.
Modern society with its conveniences: returned to civilization after camping in the mountains.
Old October 1, 2001, 17:54   #21
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

I have ancesotors going back to 2b.c. from Germany

That would be after 100-odd generations, therefore so do a lot of people.

it can count itself as one of the most influencial nations to have ever existed.

At present, but in 100 or 1000 years time will it be seen as such. Even after 2000 years the Roman Empire is still remembered as a great empire, after 100 years the British Empire has similar accolades, but the Spanish are largely ignored despite being the world power for longer than the US has currently.
Old October 1, 2001, 19:13   #22
Rakki
Warlord

Local Time: 00:01
Local Date: November 1, 2010
once Dubya finishes tearing up the Kyoto Protocol you bet the influence of the Americans will be felt for the next few hundred years.

(guffaw)
Old October 1, 2001, 21:02   #23
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 01:01
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Old October 1, 2001, 21:07   #24
Kc7mxo
King

Hah. Like YOU were going to sign that thing. nyah nyah nyah

and prussia, while occupying a significant part of the current german nation, certainly wasn't germany. And it was also very recent.
Old October 1, 2001, 21:23   #25
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Nemo
Prior to Germany becoming Germany in the 1800's, wasn't it called "Prussia"? which included current germany, poland, and austria? (maybe a few other countries too?)
No.

Prussia never controlled Poland. It is now a PART of Poland, actually. Poland-Lithuania was a far more powerful nation than Prussian until the nineteenth century, when Russia pretty much put the kaibosh on them.

Prussia fought wars with Austria-Hungary, and Frederick The Great was the first Prussian king to give the Austrians a good kick in the teeth. But Prussia never ruled Austria. The Austro-Hungarian family, under the Hapsburgs, ruled until 1918. Prussia was ruled by the Hollenzolerens (spelled wrong, Im sure).

Prussia did control a few vassal German states, but nowhere near what is today Germany, not to mention pre-1914 Germany. It wasn't until 1871 when Otto Von Bismarck worked his magic to unite the German provinces into one political force, under the Hollenzoleren Wilhelm I. This was still minus Austria, as the only time Austria has ever been under German control was after Hitler annexed it, and that didn't last long.

Now that we've dispensed with the history lesson, let's dispense with the thread. There's no more logical reason to exclude the Americans than there is to exclude any other civ in the game except the Egyptians, given your rationale.

Again I say, out with the Iroquois and in with the Turks!

Cheers.
Old October 1, 2001, 22:17   #26
Jamison
Settler

Quote:

There was no nation of Germany until 1870s. There were a ton of independent states with Germanic peoples, and Austria, but no Germany.

My point was you can't judge a civ based on its inception as an actual nation. If we look at America, it had been going since well before independence in 1779. The colonies were developed into an "American" culture as early as 1700. That's 300 years, about just as long as the Persian empire lasted. And many many years longer than Alexander's empire.

So let's quit griping about the Americans being in the game. They belong there as much as the English, French, Germans and Russians do.

Cheers.
My mistake boris, sorry. Maybe I should learn more about my ancestor's homeland, jamison = not schooled right. I was kindof wondering why it says my great great grandfather was from Darmtadt, Hess Province, Germany. Wondering why there was a Hess Province in there, now I know. By the way where is or was Hess Province, was it in the southwest part of Germany?
Old October 1, 2001, 23:04   #27
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 16:01
Quote:
Originally posted by Jason Beaudoin
America may not be old, but here are only a few reasons why this game should have the United States as a civilization:

1) Firaxis is an American company;
2) They will probably sell more copies in the US than any other country in the world;
3) Althought the US isn't old, it can count itself as one of the most influencial nations to have ever existed.
i think 2 is the mean reason America is( and should) be in
the game
Old October 2, 2001, 00:53   #28
Alexander I
staff
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization IV CreatorsCivilization IV: MultiplayerPolyCast Team

quote:

I should have expected as much from a Russian. (Godunov the phony Tsar)

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the official title of Heinrich the Fowler in the 900s was "King of Germany." And so he was. His son Otto, however, became Holy Roman Emperor, superceding the German title. Thereafter, the Holy Roman Empire centered in the area known as Germany, but also administrating diverse areas including:

the Netherlands
Flanders
Austria
Bohemia
Prussia (took some doing - Teutonic Knights! )
Hungary (a German kingdom until the Magyars came)

As time passed, the Holy Roman Empire weakened until Napoleon dissolved it. Then the united nation dissolved into principalities and kingdoms, and from 1806-1871 there was no unified Germany. Then in 1871, after Bismarck's finaggling, Wilhelm of Prussia was proclaimed Emperor of Germany, and a new chapter in history opened.

So there was a Germany during all this time, but it simply disappeared for a little while.

And to say the Germans weren't unified very long and should be ditched is discounting lots of other civs --

Aztecs: not unified EVER
enforeced control weakly with wars and blood sacrifices - no direct rule. Can we say Tlaxcala? (Probably not.)

Deutschland ueber alles!
The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report
Old October 2, 2001, 01:11   #29
Mongoloid Cow
Warlord

Local Time: 23:31

a) There was more than one Persian Empire (Archimenid, Sassanid, Savanid), which combined would last longer than Americas history.
c) What's the point of this thread. America has been the most influential nation since 1945. That's reason enough to leave them in.
Old October 2, 2001, 02:40   #30
KrazyHorse
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
anyone who says "america isnt a civ" really needs a reality check.

civ·i·li·za·tion (sv-l-zshn)
n.
An advanced state of intellectual, cultural, and material development in human society, marked by progress in the arts and sciences, the extensive use of record-keeping, including writing, and the appearance of complex political and social institutions.
The type of culture and society developed by a particular nation or region or in a particular epoch: Mayan civilization; the civilization of ancient Rome.
The act or process of civilizing or reaching a civilized state.
Cultural or intellectual refinement; good taste.
Modern society with its conveniences: returned to civilization after camping in the mountains.
Uber, this says nothing about the dividing line between 2 civs. America is civilised, but IMHO is (the most important) part of a larger civilisation, namely the Anglo-Saxon-Norman civ.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'