Old October 1, 2001, 20:45   #1
Dimorier Maximus
Warlord

Local Time: 14:02
Local Date: October 31, 2010
What features would you like to see in an expansion pack?
I recommend this thread be given TOP status or its own forum once Civ3 v1.0 gets released. We can post bugs that need to be fixed in here as well as suggestions for scenarios, new civs, and multiplayer abilities. etc.

We know that there will probably be an expansion pack for Civ3, and it is never too early to start a wishlist for what we would like to see in that expansion pack.

To get things rolling, here is what I would like to see:

1) Multiplayer. And it better be the best darn MP ever seen in a civgame, 'cuz we're havin' to wait a long time for it.

2) At least 8 new civilizations. Tribes like the Spaniards, Mongols, and Incas should be added to the game.

3) Scenarios. These are always fun to play. I would like to see some futuristic, ancient, modern, medieval, and industrial scenarios with some new units!

4) I would like to see the 2.1.2 stats of the Babylonian Bowman officially changed by Firaxis, because, art aside, it's the exact same "unique" unit as the Egyptian War Chariot.

5) The name of the Chinese Rider should be changed officially by Firaxis because of its bland ring. Here are some suggestions.

(Hopefully they'll change 4 and 5 before the first version is released.)

I would like to use this sentence to commend Firaxis for changing the Civilization Special Abilities so that all 15 different Special Ability combinations are available to the AI. Excellent idea Firaxis .

I would also like to thank Firaxis for putting up with or ignoring (whichever they are doing, probably a bit of both) civ-related-websites and disparaging threads, this one included. I see the development of Civ3 going very well. I am pleased with most of what I know about the game thus far (except 4 & 5 above).

Overall, job well done Firaxis, I have already pre-ordered the game at Best Buy.

Posters: Don't argue about how you want MP in a downloadable patch instead of an expansion pack in this thread. If you want to do that, start your own thread.

So, what do the rest of y'all want to see in an expansion pack?

Also, please don't list a whole bunch of specific civs in this thread. There is another thread for that.
Old October 1, 2001, 20:50   #2
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 16:02
allready a wish list?
the game 's not even out!!!
what about wish list for civ4 or 5
Old October 1, 2001, 21:00   #3
Akron
Prince

Local Time: 09:02
Wow, you're planning way ahead. We really don't even know what the finished game will look like; its possible that multiplayer and some civ tweaking may be done prior to the release. As for the new civs, this is of course a good idea. I have no doubt that they are gonna add new civs, as currently we only have 16 to play with. And scenarios are definitely in too. Remember civ 2 sold 2 expansion packs of mainly scenarios. Thinking back on that, I realize those x-packs were rip-offs (and so was mp gold). Hopefully, firaxis won't pull that off. I have faith in their making a good x-pack, as SMACX was good.

But really, you haven't even played the game, so how can you even think about the x-pack?
Old October 2, 2001, 06:55   #4
Simpleton
Prince

Local Time: 07:02
I only have two that I can think of right now just because I don't know what's included in the game.

1) New civ's (Canada maybe?). Doubt it but I can hope.
2) More scenarios
Old October 2, 2001, 07:23   #5
Executor
Warlord

Location: of Terra Prime, homeworld of the Terran Star Empire
Quote:
Originally posted by Simpleton
1) New civ's (Canada maybe?).
Canada? A civilization? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Last edited by Executor; October 2, 2001 at 07:32.
Old October 2, 2001, 17:27   #6
Adm.Naismith
King

Local Time: 15:02
Re: What features would you like to see in an expansion pack?
Quote:
Originally posted by Dimorier Maximus
We know that there will probably be an expansion pack for Civ3, and it is never too early to start a wishlist for what we would like to see in that expansion pack.

Well, don't take this as an attack to you, but sometimes IT IS too early to start a wishlist.

It seems as my older son (of two), who already started in June his wishlist for italian version of Santa Claus.

Before of Christmas Time he'll be change his mind at least ten times
But at least he's only 5 and half years old, we are probably older, aren't we?
Old October 2, 2001, 17:30   #7
Sabre2th
King

Local Time: 10:02
Quote:
Originally posted by Executor

Canada? A civilization? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
Let him dream
Old October 2, 2001, 17:37   #8
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

While the Bowman and War Chariot may have the exact same stats they are not the same unit. They will (or at least their equivalents in Civ 2 did) require different technologies, have different resources to build, are different costs. Though similar, they won't be the same.
Old October 2, 2001, 17:42   #9
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Good idea Dimorier, but I don't know how much we can really suggest at this stage in time, without the game being out.
Old October 2, 2001, 19:55   #10
Cre8engr
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by alva848
allready a wish list?
the game 's not even out!!!

Some people on this forum need a life.
Old October 2, 2001, 20:19   #11
PGM
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by alva848
Damn! That was MY idea!
Old October 2, 2001, 21:06   #12
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Civ 3 looks awesome but I have 2 suggestions for Civ 4 (or 5).

A sperical map mostly because it would be really cool (and more realistic).

And I also want to see culture evolve. In the beginning you have no civ specific traits, you're just a settler and a worker. But if you were to then build like a Barracks, your first trait would be Militaristic. If then you build a temple, you would become Religious. Then your points for Militarism and Religion would grow like culture does and be more difficult to dislodge.

But if a city were to start building radically different things like banks and stock exchanges, that city my become more commercial and decide it did not want to be with your home civilization anymore. This would be dependent upon several factors like distance from the captial and happiness of the City (if the city is generally happy and the parent civ unhappy, the city would break away as it felt it had a better way of life)

Whatever a Civ's traits were at the time would determine what improvement's strengthen your culture and the abilities received from certain traits.

Your culture could also change by more than just improvements. If you generally were at war a lot then your Militaristic culture would increase. On the other hand if you had workers all over your civilization, your Industrious culture total would increase, and eventually a civilization could change its traits. Modern Italy is much differerent then Ancient Rome. Modern Germany and WWII Germany are radically different.

Note I have no problem with the current culture system (as we know it), I think it's an amazing new idea. What I'm saying is this would give you and even better way to re-create history. Hope my idea isn't too radical (or long).

Comments, ideas, flames...
Old October 2, 2001, 22:01   #13
dainbramaged13
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
King

I have a whole plan set up for when civ3 comes out and how to deal with expansion pack suggestions... I will post a pre-poll thread with ideas for expansion-pack additions. This will be to avoid bad-poll-choice syndrome. Then I will post the top ten options in a poll for what do you MOST want in an expansion pack? When I am done with that I will do my own poll similar to Lancer's Expansion Pack Civs poll about it to get a more in-depth perception of hte feeling.

so if you see my thread when civ3 comes out, click on it please!
Old October 3, 2001, 00:06   #14
Nemo
Prince

Local Time: 08:02
More civs to choose from to play against
Old October 3, 2001, 02:36   #15
colossus
Warlord

AN UPGRADED AI!
By the time of the expansion pack, Firaxis should review the shortcomings and blind points of thge AI and fix it! AN absolute necessity after playtesting by 10,000 players...
Old October 3, 2001, 21:15   #16
Simpleton
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Sabre2th

Let him dream
To both of you.....One day I will get my C++ or whatever I need certificate and program a Canadian civilization for Civ3!!! The special unit will be a beaver with a hockey puck as a special weapon. It can be fired 2X per turn!!! The leader will be a rye swilling John A. Macdonald!
And then I'll.....well you just wait........

Old October 3, 2001, 22:07   #17
SerapisIV
King

I hope the Civ expansion gets rid of the palace and replaces it with the Civ-harem. It's an idea that my imagination would enjoy much more
Old October 4, 2001, 07:37   #18
Adm.Naismith
King

Quote:
Originally posted by SerapisIV
I hope the Civ expansion gets rid of the palace and replaces it with the Civ-harem. It's an idea that my imagination would enjoy much more

Just a bit of tuning: "harem" if you are playing with an Arabian Civilization.
"Playboy House" if you are playing as American.

With the latter you risk to have a "Lawyers" assault sended from your legitim wife, who can destroy your harem and bring half of your money in a turn
Old October 5, 2001, 03:16   #19
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 03:02
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I would like updated AI in the expansion, one thing in particular which would appeal is an alternate set of leaders, I'm assuming each AI leader has some sort of play style (like in SMAX), so they could create 16 more so each civilisation has a "Militaristic" and a "Builder" leader.
Old October 5, 2001, 04:13   #20
El hidalgo
Warlord

* More civs (at least 16, preferably more like 24)
* More leaders (Cheops, Ramses for Egypt; Cyrus, Abbas, Ismail for Persia; Ivan the Terrible, Peter the Great, Boris the So-So ( ) for Russia; etc.)

I'd also like to see more units, scenarios, maps, terrain types (salt flats, sand dunes, at least one more forest type), and resources, but I am sure the mod community will provide them in abundance. It's amazing what was out there for Civ2!

Really, we don't even know what all can be modified. I just learned you'll be able to add new governments, for example. I guess I'll know more about what I want when I have the game.
Old October 5, 2001, 06:24   #21
Vlad Antlerkov
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

-- More civs. 8-12 minimum, 16 is good, 24 would be great
-- More scenarios.
-- Larger maps and more civs in play at once. (Is 400x400 too much to ask for...? )
-- More civ characteristics.
-- Better AI. Should go without saying, but...
Old October 5, 2001, 06:46   #22
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

hard to say what I would want in a CivIII XP. Definately added civs though, and some techs, facilities, etc.

Units too... heck, just give us a little more of everything and I'll buy it for a $1.

Old October 5, 2001, 06:49   #23
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 16:02
- more civabilites
- more turns/game
- more technologies
- more units
- more improvements
- more wonders
- A flag for each civ that the units hold (and an option to play with flags only and no colors).
- split up the eras in early and late for each era
- the top 16 (at least) civs from Locutus’ POLL.
- No responsibility if Neanderthals are included
Old October 5, 2001, 07:10   #24
wotan321
Warlord

Since some aspects of the game require lots of 3d animation work, I'd like to of course see some new leaders and new units.
Old October 5, 2001, 20:10   #25
Nemo
Prince

i would also like to see some realistic furture units (i.e. things that are doable today, and maybe have prototypes for, but not mass produced for whatever reason)
Old October 5, 2001, 23:41   #26
JellyDonut
Prince

My wishlist for an expansion pack:

1) Civ III so I can run the expansion pack
2) The expansion pack

Of course, both should be free and downloadable, compressed into files no larger than 5 bytes, have full support for all versions of Windows, Mac, Linux, BeOS, Atari, Game Boy, my television and the palm of my hand, and should also come with a Tickle-Me-Hammurabi doll.

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!