When does Civ3 go gold?
Or, has it already? Firaxis? Any info?

-theonion.com
Old October 2, 2001, 20:46   #2
Roman
King

Local Time: 14:05
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I don't recall there being any info on this yet. It must be pretty soon though, considering the expected launch date.
Old October 2, 2001, 21:23   #3
FuFu15
Chieftain

http://www.gonegold.com

^^best site for this stuff.
Old October 2, 2001, 21:26   #4
Roman
King

Thanks.
Old October 2, 2001, 21:29   #5
tniem
King

Local Time: 09:05
Since that question is already answered, new question:

What is your prediction as to the day that Civ 3 goes gold?
Old October 2, 2001, 21:36   #6
connorkimbro
Emperor

Local Time: 08:05
Quote:
^^best site for this stuff.
Has firaxis posted something on that site? Then that's not what i'm looking for. Did ya think i didn't already know all the best computer game sites, or at the very least how to use a search engine? geez

-theonion.com
Old October 2, 2001, 21:42   #7
Pembleton
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by connorkimbro
Has firaxis posted something on that site? Then that's not what i'm looking for. Did ya think i didn't already know all the best computer game sites, or at the very least how to use a search engine? geez
Well if you know all that then you should know that Civ3 hasn't gone gold yet and that no-one knows for sure when it will go gold.

If someone knew, it would have been news at almost every important game site, since this is the most anticipated game of at least the last several years, and probably of all time.
Old October 2, 2001, 22:33   #8
Stuie
King

Local Time: 10:05
I'm guessing October 12th. That should allow just enough time for delivery to distribution on October 30th.

Of course in the rush all those LE tins are going to get lots of dents in them.
Old October 2, 2001, 22:47   #9
FuFu15
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Pembleton

Well if you know all that then you should know that Civ3 hasn't gone gold yet and that no-one knows for sure when it will go gold.

If someone knew, it would have been news at almost every important game site, since this is the most anticipated game of at least the last several years, and probably of all time.
gj pemble. don't be so ignorant connor, thnx.
Old October 2, 2001, 22:55   #10
joseph1944

Quote:
Originally posted by Stuie
I'm guessing October 12th. That should allow just enough time for delivery to distribution on October 30th.

Of course in the rush all those LE tins are going to get lots of dents in them.
I think someone who in the bussiness said about two weeks before release. They have to produces at lease the first run around 750,000 to a Million disks just for the US, Canada, & Mexico.
Look like the 17th. Shipping maybe the 28th and 29th.

Old October 2, 2001, 23:51   #11
Nemo
Prince

products go gold about 2 weeks prior to release.
therefore it should go gold about Oct 15/16 given an Oct 30 release date
Old October 3, 2001, 02:49   #12
connorkimbro
Emperor

Quote:
Can you read? If so, maybe you should go back and try once again. When you do, I think you'll find that the question was directed at Firaxis. Hopefully THEY know when it will go gold. Not like they'd actually tell us, but hey, ya never know.

-theonion.com
Old October 3, 2001, 03:38   #13
Nemo
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by connorkimbro
Hopefully THEY know when it will go gold. Not like they'd actually tell us, but hey, ya never know.
Well, if it is in beta testing, then the Gold date is not known until they are done testing. Of couse there is a tentative date, but that has already been moved back 2 weeks, and may be done so again if any major issues arise during testing. Therefore, gold is not known until days before hand (usually celbrated by a big office party after testing is done )
Old October 3, 2001, 11:55   #14
Executor
Warlord

Location: of Terra Prime, homeworld of the Terran Star Empire
Quote:
.. since this is the most anticipated game of at least the last several years, and probably of all time.
I sincerely doubt that.
Old October 3, 2001, 14:52   #15
tniem
King

Quote:
since this is the most anticipated game of at least the last several years, and probably of all time.
Well we will see by sales but I would think more people are waiting for WarCraft III and it will sell more and they are coming out only a few months in between.
Old October 3, 2001, 14:59   #16
Pembleton
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by tniem

Well we will see by sales but I would think more people are waiting for WarCraft III and it will sell more and they are coming out only a few months in between.
With more thought, I guess this is probably right. Also Doom3 should also be pretty big.
Old October 3, 2001, 15:47   #17
Ilkuul
Prince

Er, excuse me (speaks in a small, embarrassed voice), but what does "going gold" actually mean??

(Coughs and cringes, expecting a barrage of scathing comments...)
Old October 3, 2001, 15:52   #18
Pembleton
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Ilkuul
Er, excuse me (speaks in a small, embarrassed voice), but what does "going gold" actually mean??

Well people aren't born with knowledge, they have to learn it from somewhere...

Going gold means when the final copy of the game is sent to the factory for mass-production. It used to be on a gold disc, thus the term "going gold".
Old October 3, 2001, 16:07   #19
Nemo
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Ilkuul

no need to fret

programs and games alike go into stages before release:

Alpha = lots of bugs that can crash system; product not finished; things like that

Beta = some minor bugs, may cause some unique systems to crash, product is finished but needs fine tuning (e.g. menues need to be rearanged, or colors changed, things like that)

Gold = all testing is done. it meets QA (Quality Assurance) approval. it is sent to the production factories for mas repoduction and boxing...then to be hauled off to the stores.
Old October 3, 2001, 16:17   #20
Nemo
Prince

well, empire earth is coming out too. and that will take away from the RTS strategy players. i dont think RTS was out (or at least not popular) when civ II was out (definately RTS was not out during civ I). so the strategy/world history/world domination people are now divided between MANY specific games for them too chose from...all being released within months of each other.
Old October 3, 2001, 16:24   #21
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 15:05
Well it should be very soon. I hope that the delay between the UK and US release is not significant...

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old October 3, 2001, 16:28   #22
tniem
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Nemo
well, empire earth is coming out too. and that will take away from the RTS strategy players.
RTS players a lot of times are different from TBS. Although historical gamers might be divided between Civ3 and EE. But if you mean EE will take away from WarCraft3 I think you are wrong. EE is out this fall, WarCraft sometime this spring.

Quote:
i dont think RTS was out (or at least not popular) when civ II was out (definately RTS was not out during civ I).
Well first RTS game out in 1989 on Sega Genesis two years before Sid made Civilization. The name was Herzog Zwell. First one for the PC, Dune II (1992). And of course the game that changed gaming WarCraft (1994) and WarCraft II (1995) came out before Civ II. WarCraft II, I may be wrong, sold more than Civ II so I would have to say that would be regarded as a more popular game and it was out before that one.

Quote:
so the strategy/world history/world domination people are now divided between MANY specific games for them too chose from...all being released within months of each other.
Again, TBSers and RTSers are not normally lumped together. I play both but enjoy TBS more. All I am saying is there is no way that Civ III can be regarded as the most eagerly anticipated game of all time. Maybe by us here on the boards but as some have said so elequently, we are not the majority of gamers.
Old October 3, 2001, 18:09   #23
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 16:05
Quote:

no need to fret

programs and games alike go into stages before release:

Alpha = lots of bugs that can crash system; product not finished; things like that

Beta = some minor bugs, may cause some unique systems to crash, product is finished but needs fine tuning (e.g. menues need to be rearanged, or colors changed, things like that)

Gold = all testing is done. it meets QA (Quality Assurance) approval. it is sent to the production factories for mas repoduction and boxing...then to be hauled off to the stores.
you've forgot to add to "gold": some minor bugs
Old October 3, 2001, 18:15   #24
Daoloth
Settler

This is good news, I went to the release dates list at GoneGold.com and under Civ3 it said October 31st, and on status: "Close to Going Gold" in bold and italics.
Old October 3, 2001, 19:34   #25
dainbramaged13
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
King

i dont think u should worry about warcraft 3 stealing civ3 sales... its coming out 4-6 months later, and that is the amount of time that the average consumer plays a computer game. EE might steal some of Civ3 sales, but i think because of the might of the civ series and its famousness cvi3 will do a lot more sale-stealing than EE.
Old October 3, 2001, 20:42   #26
Nemo
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by alva848
you've forgot to add to "gold": some minor bugs
well, hopefully not

just pray that infograms has a good QA team, and they don't push the product to quickly.
Old October 4, 2001, 00:11   #27
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

I am going to say that there is a 75% chance that CivIII will actually ship on the 30th.

I don't know, maybe a hunch, but I think Firaxis may actually be on schedule.

Old October 4, 2001, 08:16   #28
Grim Legacy
Prince

Local Time: 15:05
Quote:
well, empire earth is coming out too. and that will take away from the RTS strategy players. i dont think RTS was out (or at least not popular) when civ II was out (definately RTS was not out during civ I). so the strategy/world history/world domination people are now divided between MANY specific games for them too chose from...all being released within months of each other.
LOL. Remember Dune2, flyboy. Dune2 was released sometime after Civ1, still well within the DOS era. It was a huge hit and follow-ups were abundant (think Warcraft). Only quite some time later Civ2 came to be. And it stood it's TBS ground firmly.
Old October 4, 2001, 11:17   #29
tniem
King

Quote:
well, hopefully not

just pray that infograms has a good QA team, and they don't push the product to quickly.
All games have bugs. There will be bugs in Civ 3, what is going to matter is how destabilizing these bugs are. We can only hope that Firaxis will patch those things that we need to have patched. I have little hope that Infogrames is not rushing the product, I only have to point to no MP to explain why I have that fear.
Old October 4, 2001, 11:22   #30
Nemo
Prince

Here is a quote from GoneGold.com:

Quote:
Had a close call... Yesterday, I received an official notice that Civilization III had gone gold. Two minutes after the e-mail, I received another asking me to hold off on posting, because it may not be true at the moment. Talk about a quick let down. The good news is that the game will hopefully be gold in a day or two and will ship on the 30th of this month. Nice treat for Halloween Day. Super.
That means it is ALMOST DONE WITHIN DAYS!!!!