Old September 9, 1999, 17:27   #1
Paul Hanson
King

Local Time: 01:01
Local Date: October 31, 2010
C&C Scenario
I`m working on a scenario based on Command & Conquer at the moment, and I`ve run into a few problems. For a start, I`m not a dab hand when it comes to drawing, so I`ve had to borrow most of the graphics from other scenarios and edit them slightly. However, I need graphics for a Tesla coil unit and preferably a Pillbox one for the Allies; does anyone know where I can find either (or both) of these? And one final point. I had this idea that when the scenario began, the "Hell March" music would play, but I`ve searched the Net to find a WAV file of this, but to know avail. Sites which claimed to have the music in WAV form actually had a different tune under the name "Hell March", and this happened on several sites. Can anybody make me more the wiser?
Old September 9, 1999, 20:29   #2
Cam
King

Local Time: 09:31
Paul,

It sounds as though one approach in getting your graphics is to take a screenshot of a C&C game in progress. Programs such as Paint Shop Pro have a 'capture' (screen capture) tool, and even using the 'Print Screen' button on your keyboard will copy the screenshot onto your clipboard. I assume there is no easy-to-access graphics file for units as is the case with Civ2.

Can't help too much with finding the sounds I'm afraid, as I don't own C&C and can't check out either the installation directory or the structure of the files on the CD-ROM itself.
Old September 9, 1999, 20:48   #3
DarthVeda
Emperor

Local Time: 20:01
Local Date: October 30, 2010
This is one realm you had better be careful in. The keyword here is foxxed. This means the company in question (Westwood) could sue you for illegally using their material. Before you continue with work on this scenario, it would be best to get in contact with them and see what their stance on the matter is. (It's best to go through somebody other than the TECH SUPPORT department).
Old September 9, 1999, 22:45   #4
Cam
King

Local Time: 09:31
Excellent advice Darth Veda!
Old September 11, 1999, 04:14   #5
Paul Hanson
King

Guys,

Thanks for the advice. I`m not sure of the legality of using C&C music on my scenario, or of the legality of the sites I visited to download the music from. Seeing as I don`t own C&C either, and the only person I do know has the Playstation version, maybe it`s down to me to give the graphics a shot!
Old September 11, 1999, 06:58   #6
Paul Hanson
King

Developments since my last post,

I visited Westwood`s web site, and downloaded the Hell March music from there of all places. What their stance on me using it in my scenario is still unknown to me, as any time I tried to e-mail them (or anyone else for that matter), Outlook lists the e-mail as "undeliverable", due to the fact that "no transport provider was avaliable for delivery to this recipient".

I know that it`s no really a question for this forum, but does anyone know what this means? I`m just full of questions...
Old September 27, 1999, 13:08   #7
Caspian
Prince

Local Time: 00:01
If you are planning on E-Mailing Westwood to ask if you can use their material I would n't hold my breath. I E-Mailed them 3 years ago to ask permission to use a screen shot in my film (I was doing a film course at college) and still have had no reply. Never mind, I was able to get full marks without their help. As for the sounds, I remmember I took a C&C spy sound (for king and country) and used it for the spy in Civ. All I did was connect my music system to my pc, record the sound on to cassette then put it back onto my computer (I used cool edit 95). Pretty simple. But if you can download that song from Westwood it is much simpler.
Old September 27, 1999, 17:36   #8
Paul Hanson
King

I don`t suppose you`d mind e-mailing me that spy sound?

On the point of legality, I can`t really see why it matters. I`m not planning to sell the scenario for profit, so what`s the deal?
Old September 27, 1999, 17:57   #9
Dracon

http://www.tiberiumsun.com you can download Hell March from this site, but I'm not sure if it's in .wav format though.

Why don't you just rip the unit graphics straight from Red Alert itself. It's simple, I do it with Age of Empires all the time.

------------------
Cheers,
Dracon
The HOLY Church of SID
http://www.strategicgaming.com/sid
E-mail- dracon@strategicgaming.com
ICQ- 14879467
USEFUL LINKS
civ2list.listbot.com - The Civ2 discussion list.
http://www.infidels.org

http://www.sidgames.com

http://triplej.abc.net.au

http://www.alp.com.au

Old September 27, 1999, 18:02   #10
Dracon

Just get a Red Alert Screenshot off the net, cut out the unit, any bits that are in the back ground and aren't part of the unit should be painted with that pink civ2 transparent colour. Make sure the unit is small enough to fit into the square.

Old September 28, 1999, 17:26   #11
Paul Hanson
King

I`ve already downloaded the Hell March music from Westwood`s site, and it works fine.

The idea of using C&C screenshots has already been mentioned earlier in the topic, but C&C screenshots from the net are few and far between, and I don`t have access to a copy myself. But I`ll persevere...