Old October 4, 2001, 17:33   #1
ToD.MB
Chieftain

Local Time: 14:08
Local Date: October 31, 2010
U.S.A. / U.K. version . . .
Hold on,

I've seen loads of (Continental) Europeans going on about ordering Civ3 from the U.S.A. via the Internet and getting it early.

Why isn't there a huge move from the U.K. to do this? There must be a reason. Can anyone explain why this is? (and excuse my ignorance in this . . . I love Civ as much as the next guy but computers aren't my field.)

What's stopping thousands of Brits from just ordering Civ3 from Amazon.com and getting it weeks earlier than the rest of Europe?

In fact, what's stopping Continentals who speak/read good English from doing the same?
Old October 4, 2001, 17:38   #2
Sabre2th
King

Local Time: 10:08
What's stopping most people from ordering the U.S. version early? AFAIK, there's a way to get it anywhere in the world, though some areas may take more work than others.
Old October 4, 2001, 17:40   #3
Crouchback
Warlord

Local Time: 09:08
Apart from exchange rate difficulties and P&P costs, many site like amazon.com won't send the game outside so-called US Protectorate Territories before the world wide release date. Despite rumours to the contrary the UK doesn't qualify. (Supply your own adjective here )

David
Old October 4, 2001, 18:00   #4
ToD.MB
Chieftain

LOL

Why only US Protectorates? So Guam and the Marshall Islands are doing to be hitting Civ 3 bigstlye but Europe will have to wait another month? Excellent retailing.

If I had a product, I'd definately sell it to tiny Pacific and Caribbean islands first before retailing it to Europe and the rest of the world. Don't forget, they may be islanders in the middle of nowhere, but they're living in a US Protectorate.

Wish I was . . . mind you, as Crouchback said, we are, more or less. Mind you, there are worse nations to be friendly with than the ol' U.S.A. It's top!
Old October 4, 2001, 18:13   #5
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Crouchback
Apart from exchange rate difficulties and P&P costs, many site like amazon.com won't send the game outside so-called US Protectorate Territories before the world wide release date. Despite rumours to the contrary the UK doesn't qualify. (Supply your own adjective here )

David
Yes it does. It accepted my order without flinching. I suppose it's included in "Certain Software Titles"...

ToD: Civ3 comes in two different versions, one being a special "limited" edition which will appear in the UK Q1 2002 if at all. If you want that in November instead of the regular game, a foreign order is the only way. Use the links in our Civ3 section and you support this site in the process. Amazon has the lowest shipping costs, with Chips & Bits not far behind.
Old October 4, 2001, 20:05   #6
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 15:08
There are significant additional costs involved in ordering software from outside Europe. Some people get lucky and avoid customs attention but I never do. The cost of intercontinental postage and customs taxes is enough to double the price of a normal software title. You have to want something pretty badly to make it worthwhile. I intend to wait a little and see what people whose opinions I respect think of the game after the first weeks of "OMG" factor have worn off and some serious analysis of the pros and cons take place. Then if people are still drooling I may well pay the price. That means I won't get a limited edition but I'm not much for designer DVD's anyway. I will certainly sulk if the normal edition doesn't get the traditional Civ tech poster but that is the only extra I will need
Old October 4, 2001, 23:26   #7
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 04:08
Why do you all have customs on software. buncha weenie protectionists...
Old October 5, 2001, 06:39   #8
fluffy
Warlord

Re: U.S.A. / U.K. version . . .
Quote:
Originally posted by ToD.MB
Why isn't there a huge move from the U.K. to do this? There must be a reason. Can anyone explain why this is? (and excuse my ignorance in this . . . I love Civ as much as the next guy but computers aren't my field.)

What's stopping thousands of Brits from just ordering Civ3 from Amazon.com and getting it weeks earlier than the rest of Europe?
how do you know there aren't lots of brits ordering?
Old October 5, 2001, 10:30   #9
LarryLard
Chieftain

Quote:
Um, nothing? See for example this thread

Quote:
In fact, what's stopping Continentals who speak/read good English from doing the same?
amazon.com won't ship software to certain countries... a list of where they WILL ship is in this thread
Old October 5, 2001, 11:06   #10
Earthling7
Mac
Prince

Quote:
Why isn't there a huge move from the U.K. to do this? There must be a reason. Can anyone explain why this is?
The reason is that the Brits find it hard to play while being distracted by words like "color" and "Civilization". They are waiting for a translated version.
Old October 5, 2001, 16:15   #11
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Civ2 was sold in Britain as a "translated" version. The spelling was still Yank.

I still have problem with Word because it won't accept travelling and continually deletes an "l". Damned American software manufacturers can't spell anyfing.
Old October 5, 2001, 23:19   #12
Grumbold
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by GP
Why do you all have customs on software. buncha weenie protectionists...
Because the UK is part of the European trading bloc and the USA and Europe still levy taxes on most goods that pass from one continent to the other. Every few years the negotiators all sit down and argue if no tax levied on your car exports is worth no tax on our clothing exports and stuff like that. Eventually we might get to the point where there are no trade taxes at all but somehow I doubt it!
Old October 5, 2001, 23:23   #13
JellyDonut
Prince

Quote:
So Guam and the Marshall Islands are doing to be hitting Civ 3 bigstlye but Europe will have to wait another month?
Maybe in Guam, but not the Marshall Islands. They're an independent country now (few people know the U.S. had breakaway republics in the past decade, so I don't blame you).

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!
Old October 6, 2001, 20:01   #14
GodSpawn
Prince

What makes everyone think that it'll come out "Weeks later" in the UK? Most games seem to come out within a week - and I most UK games are also identical to the US versions anyway.

Who cares about small differences in spelling? Only the most anally retentive, that's who, and the games companies know that.
Why would they spend a lot of money doing a "translation" that would get just about zero extra sales?
Old October 6, 2001, 20:14   #15
JellyDonut
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by GodSpawn
Who cares about small differences in spelling? Only the most anally retentive, that's who, and the games companies know that.
Why would they spend a lot of money doing a "translation" that would get just about zero extra sales?
Not to mention those Brits should learn to use the (very slightly) more logical American spellings anyway.

The manoeuvre implies that my neighbour's favourite colour is found in the centre of the theatre stage. Come on!

Old October 6, 2001, 20:55   #16
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

But never in the harbour of phosphorus and sulphur

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old October 6, 2001, 21:04   #17
JellyDonut
Prince

...nor in the foetus in the archaeologist's aesthetically challenged wife, nor in the mouldy cheese programme.