View Poll Results: Have you ever had an actual dream about playing Civ3??
Yes, and I'm proud of it! 33 30.28%
No, of course not!! 35 32.11%
I hate to admit it. "Yes". Boy I AM pathetic..... 14 12.84%
Who cares you idiot! You suck and so does your poll. 27 24.77%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 5, 2001, 18:42   #31
JellyDonut
Prince

Local Time: 15:08
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I had a whole series of dreams about Escape Velocity (boy is that game addictive) after playing it for hours and hours every day. I made the mistake of having the radio on whenever I played the game. Now all songs from that time period remind me of the game. I've also had dreams about Chess, Warcraft II, Civilization II, mIRC, Character Map, WinZip, and the one where I see my mother dancing on a chimney until my hands turn into giant sporks who speak Swedish. But not about Civ III...don't have enough experience with it to dream about it.

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!
Old October 5, 2001, 18:51   #32
JellyDonut
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Pembleton

Well I figured most people here were 14-21. When I think about it, the people who are older in that age group did have the oppotunity to play it.

Anyway, the first video game I played was Pong when it was "released", which, BTW, for those who don't know is the first video game.

I was also 11, 12? when I would bike for about 45 minutes to spend all my money on Space Invaders. Then there was Asteroids, Pac-Man, and then the Atari 2600...My first computer was the Commodore 64....It had a whopping 64K RAM!!! which was a lot at that time.
I know this story!

...so anyway the Great Depression started and Pembleton started shining people's shoes for money. Five cents a shine he got, which was a lot in those days. You could take the train to San Francisco, rent an aer-o-plane and buy Norway with a nickel back then. So anyways, Pembleton got his 64K RAM computer, complete with 10-foot floppy drive and 2 (count them, 2) 8-byte disks. Of course, with that computer, you could do anything: type a resume, type a report, type an article, type a short story, type a poem, the possibilities were endless! So anyway, he attached a onion to his belt, which was the style at the time. Of course, it was one of the big white ones, you couldn't get the yella ones because of the war...

Old October 5, 2001, 20:37   #33
Nemo
Prince

Local Time: 08:08
if i ever dreamed (and dont start a debate about "we always dream" crap, because i haven't remembered having a dream in over 5 years.) i would vote, but i dont, so i cant
Old October 5, 2001, 21:41   #34
Christantine The Great
Prince

Local Time: 09:08
Quote:
Originally posted by JellyDonut

I know this story!

...so anyway the Great Depression started and Pembleton started shining people's shoes for money. Five cents a shine he got, which was a lot in those days. You could take the train to San Francisco, rent an aer-o-plane and buy Norway with a nickel back then. So anyways, Pembleton got his 64K RAM computer, complete with 10-foot floppy drive and 2 (count them, 2) 8-byte disks. Of course, with that computer, you could do anything: type a resume, type a report, type an article, type a short story, type a poem, the possibilities were endless! So anyway, he attached a onion to his belt, which was the style at the time. Of course, it was one of the big white ones, you couldn't get the yella ones because of the war...
Good one!

I had a dream of CivIII twice! I don't remember the first one anymore but the second one looked exactly like CivII but the units were like the ones we've seen in screenshots. Catapults were improvements, Hoplites covered Italy, the world was constantly growing...
Old October 5, 2001, 21:50   #35
JellyDonut
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Christantine The Great
looked exactly like CivII but the units were like the ones we've seen in screenshots. Catapults were improvements, Hoplites covered Italy, the world was constantly growing...
So Civ 2.5...weird.
Were the units animated?

Old October 5, 2001, 22:04   #36
Christantine The Great
Prince

Local Time: 09:08
I'm not sure. They didn't fidgit but they attacked.
Old October 5, 2001, 22:05   #37
SSBLoveU
Warlord

Local Time: 10:08
With no dreams, one develops little hope. I mostly dream of girls, however, a game is often a companion too which does not leave.
Old October 5, 2001, 22:28   #38
AZWildCat
Settler

I guess I have a weak psyche or something. I think I've had dreams about pretty much all games I've been addicted to; Civ/SMAC, HOMM, Myst/Riven, Quake... (Not to mention dreaming in *text* when I was into MUDs).

Although I haven't had wet Civ3 dreams yet, I'm sure once I spend days on end playing, I will.

Heck - I've probably had dreams about Monopoly and Yahtzee as well.

---
AZWC
Old October 5, 2001, 22:40   #39
JellyDonut
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by AZWildCat
Although I haven't had wet Civ3 dreams yet, I'm sure once I spend days on end playing, I will.
---
AZWC
Don't worry (or do worry). You will. Just take a look at the new foreign advisor!
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	foradv.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	3.8 KB
ID:	3647  

Old October 5, 2001, 23:54   #40
Simpleton
Prince

Local Time: 07:08
Quote:

Don't worry (or do worry). You will. Just take a look at the new foreign advisor!

I believe "she's"? showing off a little bit additional detail in the breastal region??? Hmmmm I guess this is another way Firaxis is pushing the graphical envelope for Civ games.

Good job...?

Last edited by Simpleton; October 6, 2001 at 00:01.
Old October 6, 2001, 00:01   #41
JellyDonut
Prince

Just a little bit of amateur graphics editing on my part...those belong to Britney Spears, in case you're wondering.

Old October 6, 2001, 00:04   #42
Simpleton
Prince

Quote:
Just a little bit of amateur graphics editing on my part...those belong to Britney Spears, in case you're wondering.
You sly dog .

PS: They look very natural even if they're not real.
Old October 6, 2001, 00:07   #43
JellyDonut
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Simpleton
PS: They look very natural even if they're not real.
"If"? You mean "though"?

Old October 6, 2001, 05:16   #44
Simpleton
Prince

Quote:

"If"? You mean "though"?
Ah Brittney. Will you ever not be the butt of a joke!
Old October 6, 2001, 15:44   #45
Nemo
Prince

Quote:
heh, i was wondering how they were so...ummm...perky
Old October 6, 2001, 15:49   #46
JellyDonut
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Nemo
heh, i was wondering how they were so...ummm...perky
That's from her tour of Siberia. I think they turn the heat off at her concerts to create that effect.

Old October 28, 2001, 12:09   #47
Pembleton
Prince

Quote:
I know this story!

I didn't catch this post before. Pretty funny.

Anyway, I just dreamt about Civ3 last night!

It was a pretty short as it was sandwiched between other things I was doing that I don't remember, but I was getting frustrated with the free worker at the beginning of the game because I was telling him to irrigate but he kept doing strange things like changing the square to a desert, etc. I also remember looking for the right hotkeys so he would stop doing that, since I think I was pressing "i" each time to do it.
Old October 28, 2001, 12:46   #48
MxM
Warlord

Local Time: 10:08
Quote:
Originally posted by Pembleton
I was getting frustrated with the free worker at the beginning of the game because I was telling him to irrigate but he kept doing strange things like changing the square to a desert, etc. I also remember looking for the right hotkeys so he would stop doing that, since I think I was pressing "i" each time to do it.
That was probably because CivIII has different shortcuts. Instead of "Irrigate", "i" now stands for "Irritate player" command. You were lucky that the worker did not destroy city walls.
Old October 28, 2001, 13:50   #49
manofthehour
Warlord

Local Time: 14:08
Only day dreamed. Never at night.