Old October 7, 2001, 02:14   #61
El hidalgo
Warlord

Local Time: 08:11
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by jdd2007
as i have no skills in scenario making i would like to test scenarios. i could a pretty good advisor...
Play testing would be essential. And it's actually very desirable that the testers not be the makers. Because it's kinda hard to be objective when it's your thing....
Old October 7, 2001, 08:12   #62
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 09:11
Quote:
Originally posted by Hoek
Oh wow! Hexagonian, that's really quite good! Can I put you down for documentation too?
Yeah, since there's a distinct possibility that I won't be getting the game until Christmas. I want to play the game for awhile before testing the Mod waters (and I usually play slowly too)

And having never done any Mod work for civ2 puts me at a disadvantage, since I'm not familiar with the coding either (but everyone is more or less in that boat), so my work would have to be along the lines of support.

The nice thing is that I have this and a unit spec chart already set up in a template format, so anyone who has taken the time to data-entry the info can send me a file and I can enter it in.

Pay no attention to Immortal Wombat - he's just jealous of my skills (but I am of his too)
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...
Old October 7, 2001, 09:19   #63
jdd2007
NationStates
King

Local Time: 10:11
Quote:
Play testing would be essential. And it's actually very desirable that the testers not be the makers. Because it's kinda hard to be objective when it's your thing....
does this mean i CAN be a playtester?
Old October 7, 2001, 13:07   #64
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 15:11
Quote:
Originally posted by hexagonian

Pay no attention to Immortal Wombat - he's just jealous of my skills (but I am of his too)
Old October 7, 2001, 13:52   #65
Bill3000
King

Quote:
i prefer AIM
AIM!? EVIL!

Please get ICQ.... It's much better, and I'm never going to get AIM, ever.
"Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
"Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis
Old October 7, 2001, 15:08   #66
El hidalgo
Warlord

Local Time: 08:11
Quote:
Originally posted by jdd2007

does this mean i CAN be a playtester?
I don't see why not. Hoek?
Old October 7, 2001, 15:26   #67
Ironwood
Prince

Local Time: 07:11
This looks pretty cool. I am planning to do an ambitious ancient era modpack (worked on it quite a bit with civ2). Basically, the idea is to narrow the scope from the entirety of human history to the period ranging from the beginning of what we know about humans (which will pass in a theoretical flash much as the ancient era does in regular civ) up until the early decline of Rome (say, 300 AD or so).

Already I've done considerable research into the state of the "sciences" among ancient peoples. For example, I've broken "mathamatics" into a number of mathamatical notation types: the ... talley system? Gee, it's been a long time. I'll have to scrounge up my notes. But it was quite good, really!

I also studied the role of the horse in ancient warfare. Interesting stuff, but once again, all locked up in my notes from several years ago.

Hmm... doesn't look like I have much, does it. At any rate, it's something I plan to do, and I can't do graphics worth diddly squat. So if I come up with a tech tree complete with civilopedia entries (I do hope the civilopedia can be messed with in modpacks) and military units, I hope I can find some people to do the visual end of it.

I can be reached at tarvok.1@email.com.
Take me as I am.
Old October 7, 2001, 16:13   #68
Saint Marcus
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 15:11
put me up for historical research too.
Old October 7, 2001, 16:34   #69
Hoek
Prince

I see no reason why you can't be a playtester. Know, though, that it is a real responsibility, and playtesters will be expected to actually provide the rest of the team with real, indepth critiques. We are trying to attract as many people as possible to join us, but people who sign up should know that they will be counted on. If someone signs up for playtesting, but never bothers to give a critique, that will kind of mess the process up. I have had experiences where I gave out scenarios for playtesting without ever receiving responses. I don't know exactly how to deal with that at this moment, but I'm working out how I'm going to set up some of the rules.

Right now, I am going to see if I can set up a website through AOL or my college so that we just have some of the basics down. I am hoping to get Apolyton hosting, though, at some point because that would give a number of advantages such as forum access, visibility, and unlimited, free space for files.
Old October 7, 2001, 17:34   #70
jdd2007
NationStates
King

thanks. i understand my responsibilities...
u should make a long list of people for different jobs, and once the game comes out u should narrow it down...
btw, i would love to do some historical research too...
Old October 8, 2001, 02:27   #71
Hoek
Prince

bump
Old October 8, 2001, 03:13   #72
Deep Dweller
Settler

Local Time: 02:11
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I have very little experience with creating senarios, although many years ago I created a few good D&D games.

I would to get involved with play testing and then expand into the other areas as I became familiar with the various aspects of developement
Old October 8, 2001, 10:10   #73
Indiana Jones
Chieftain

I run sound systems and do sound editing as a hobby, so I would be willing to work on any new sounds for scenarios and modpacks.

Finagle's Law - The perversity of the universe tends toward a maximum.
Old October 8, 2001, 10:24   #74
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

Local Time: 14:11
Great! Then could you take me off sounds, Hoek, and just make me pure music? My recording facilities are rather, er, primitive at the moment.
Old October 8, 2001, 19:09   #75
Bill3000
King

*bump*
"Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
"Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis
Old October 10, 2001, 18:47   #76
Hoek
Prince

Sorry i haven't attended to this thread this week as much as I did over the weekend, but I have a midterm this week

Anyhow, I don't know how much we can really do before the game comes out, but I'm going to work a bit this weekend on setting up some formal rules and such, and I'm going to email all of you who said you'd like to participate. If anyone has any ideas regarding the group, please email them to me at hoekzema@gwu.edu and put something like "scenario group" in the subject, because I check my email far more often than I check the forums.

I'll change the list to show the change in terms of sounds
Old October 10, 2001, 19:55   #77
FrostyBoy
Emperor

Local Time: 22:11
I hope you guys don't fall apart, you'll have to set something up so that you guys stay together and work together.
Old October 11, 2001, 17:06   #78
Felch
Civilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

I can work on non-media aspects. That is, I can do stuff aside from the graphics and sound. I suppose I can do historical research and documentation best.
Old October 20, 2001, 02:10   #79
Hoek
Prince

it appears Harlan has taken the initiative to actually set up a website! yea!

sorry I haven't posted in a while, but it's midterm time, and y'all know how that is

anyway, I am still very interested in this, but since we don't really have Civ 3 yet, I don't know how much we can actually do.

Harlan: do you want any help on the site or anything?
Old October 20, 2001, 03:34   #80
Harlan
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 06:11
Hoek,
That website was in the on-deck circle to get onto Apolyton for a long time. How's your quest for a site going?

I don't need any help with the site - its nothing but maps in its purpose. There are some scenarios though I've expressed interest in getting help on earlier in this thread, even though the game isn't ready yet. No one has taken me up on that idea, though . The way I look at it, there's tons of planning to do that you don't need the game for to do. Figuring out the cities, boundaries, trade goods, geography, roads and so on. I could still use some help with that.

Unfortunately for me, I soon have to leave to remote spots of Borneo to do actual work - gone till mid November. I'll still be able to check these forums and email, but that will probably only add insult to injury. Everyone will be raving about the game while I'm getting attacked by leeches in the jungle .

It would be great if someone wanted to help out, and had already made a map for the first scenario by the time I got back!
Old October 20, 2001, 05:24   #81
Hoek
Prince

Oh, well Mark G has basically indicated interest, but we do need to wait for the game to get up and running. I am going to start fooling around with webpage design...haven't done it in a few years, you know

which editor do you use?
Old October 20, 2001, 05:37   #82
Harlan
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 06:11
Might as well get it out of the way now, so that when the game is out you'll have time to play the game. Getting a bulletin board working needs no waiting at all.

I use Dreamweaver 4. You can go pretty far with very little knowledge on that one.
Old October 20, 2001, 06:06   #83
Faboba
King

Local Time: 14:11
Location: Scotland. I can't be more specific else they'll find me.
Put me down for playtesting if you've not got too many people doing that already.

It's like music - I have zero ability but I can always tell someone when they're doing it wrong. I was born to annoy.