Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 16:13
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by orange
Yeah, I'll probably play my second game on a world map with the Americans as well.

Interesting spread on the poll As of yet, no one starting off with the Japs...
My second game will proberly be with the Japs on a world map, but this poll is not for the second game
Old October 9, 2001, 11:00   #62
SITS
King

Local Time: 14:13
In Civ1 and 2 I almost always played America on the world map as I knew where the resources are and I had plenty of room to expand (sorry Inca's!) I wanted to the English but the map made their position not very good although I did play them on a random map.
'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna
Old October 9, 2001, 11:12   #63
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 07:13
Quote:
Yeah, I'll probably play my second game on a world map with the Americans as well.

Interesting spread on the poll As of yet, no one starting off with the Japs...
The Japanese [note: think we should dispense with epithet "Japs"] and the English both have the disadvantage of beginning on relatively small, isolated islands on the world map, severely hampering early expansion. On random map, it's no big deal, I suppose. I will likely play both before playing civs like the Iroquois, Zulus, Persians, Egyptians and Babylonians. After all, my roomie is Japanese, and I looooove sushi!
Old October 9, 2001, 11:25   #64
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by SITS
In Civ1 and 2 I almost always played America on the world map as I knew where the resources are and I had plenty of room to expand (sorry Inca's!) I wanted to the English but the map made their position not very good although I did play them on a random map.
For me Englands start position was perfect; defending the island was pretty easy and because the island was pretty small I had to quicly invent a boat to get of the island and therefor I could easily expand on both Europe and America, playing as other countries I couldn't care less about boats so expanding overseas came pretty late then
Old October 9, 2001, 15:54   #65
TubalCain
Settler

Local Time: 09:13
An interesting bit of statistics: With 62 votes to date, the civilization attributes of people's selections are as follows:

Commercial: 32
Militaristic: 25
Scientific: 25
Industrous: 23
Expansionistic: 14
Religious: 8
Old October 9, 2001, 15:56   #66
Pembleton
Prince

Local Time: 08:13
Quote:
Originally posted by TubalCain
An interesting bit of statistics: With 62 votes to date, the civilization attributes of people's selections are as follows:

Commercial: 32
Militaristic: 25
Scientific: 25
Industrous: 23
Expansionistic: 14
Religious: 8
This differs quite significantly from my thread on what people think the best abilities are.

This means that people are weighing other factors more significantly.
Old October 9, 2001, 16:17   #67
Dimorier Maximus
Warlord

I will play my first game as the French because I like their abilities the best from what I know so far. However, I will try all 16 civs before I know which one will become my favorite.
Old October 9, 2001, 17:10   #68
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

lots of votes for the PINK CRUSADERS.

my panzers will roll over your... your... oh yea, MUSKETMEN.
Old October 9, 2001, 17:32   #69
Steve Clark
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Stormbringer
the vikings aren't in civ 3
Yes they are! Just change the name of the Iroquois (or whatever one you don't care to see - perhaps the French? ) to Vikings. Don't play with civ attributes or unique units on (they're irrelevant in the long run) and voila! You have your Vikings (or whatever other nationality you want). Why is this so hard to comprehend?!?!?

Oh wait, you really believe that unique units are something special. How about waiting for an Age of the Vikings scenario and then you will have dozens of unique Viking units to manage.
Old October 9, 2001, 18:46   #70
Pembleton
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Clark
Oh wait, you really believe that unique units are something special. How about waiting for an Age of the Vikings scenario and then you will have dozens of unique Viking units to manage.
I believe you can specify the stats of a unique unit although you may have to use an existing graphic (not sure about this).

The most logical UU for the Vikings would be a boat, but this might make it difficult for them to get a military golden age. Perhaps they would need 2 UUs.
Old October 9, 2001, 18:50   #71
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Pembleton
The most logical UU for the Vikings would be a boat, but this might make it difficult for them to get a military golden age. Perhaps they would need 2 UUs.
Longboat and Berzerker? :blatant steal from AoK:

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old October 9, 2001, 19:49   #72
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:

I believe you can specify the stats of a unique unit although you may have to use an existing graphic (not sure about this).
Hmmm...interesting point. This was entirely possible in Civ2, but in Civ3 we have to worry about animations and the sound effects. I wonder if it will indeed be possible to alter graphics?
Old October 9, 2001, 20:13   #73
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 15:13
Quote:
Originally posted by Jingo
lots of votes for the PINK CRUSADERS.

my panzers will roll over your... your... oh yea, MUSKETMEN.
Musketeers thanks. And at that point, my musketeers will have shot your little musketmen to kingdom come

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old October 9, 2001, 20:20   #74
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Ooooh, it looks like this is shaping up to be a classic battle between the French and Germans!

Perhaps in cyberspace the French can actually win out over the Germans, for once...

Old October 9, 2001, 20:24   #75
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:

This differs quite significantly from my thread on what people think the best abilities are.

This means that people are weighing other factors more significantly.
I think everyone comes to the table with thier favorite civilization already in mind, based on its culture and history, and will more often than not pick that over the abilities.

After all, it's not the abilities that make the civ, it's how the player plays it. I think the abilities may come into play far more with regards to how the AI acts.

Cheers.
Old October 10, 2001, 00:37   #76
JellyDonut
Prince

Although my initial game will be as the French, as soon as I download a world map of the largest size, I'll try the English and Japanese. Their islands are small on a normal map so early seafaring is crucial to avoiding a stunted growth in your empire, but if your islands are huge, you'll have an average size empire and will be able to put off seafaring for a few more turns. And then I'll do some sensible exploration (in Civ 2, the English and Celt AIs would always colonize Greenland and Japan would stay with 1 or 2 cities, not even leaving the home islands, making them extremely easy to crush).

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!
Old October 10, 2001, 03:16   #77
Taso_84
Chieftain

Mines a hard choice between being the Germans or the Greeks.
Illl decide in 24hrs
Old October 10, 2001, 03:20   #78
LaRusso
King

Interesting preference for the smelly pink French. I was expecting 'Americans' as the choice no. 1.
Old October 10, 2001, 10:34   #79
Steve Clark
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov

Hmmm...interesting point. This was entirely possible in Civ2, but in Civ3 we have to worry about animations and the sound effects. I wonder if it will indeed be possible to alter graphics?
Why do you ask this question, Boris? There have been many threads in the past year about exactly this, including stuff from Firaxis websites. I just don't understand after all of this time (and all of my constant ranting ) that folks still think we may not be able to alter graphics.

Now, the question still remains whether the tool will be provided to do animation or will be able to import from any one of our favorite 3rd-party software. But in any case, I don't care one way or the other regarding animation, so I know (as Firaxis has said) that I can replace ANY and ALL units with a non-animated units. Heck, I thought the many thousands of customize unit graphics that folks have developed for Civ2 are good enough. It will be just a matter of figuring out the mechanics dealing with the .gif files.

For example, do all of you know that there is a units.gif file developed for Civ2 that contains dozens of custom Viking units?
Old October 10, 2001, 12:49   #80
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:

Why do you ask this question, Boris? There have been many threads in the past year about exactly this, including stuff from Firaxis websites. I just don't understand after all of this time (and all of my constant ranting ) that folks still think we may not be able to alter graphics.

Now, the question still remains whether the tool will be provided to do animation or will be able to import from any one of our favorite 3rd-party software. But in any case, I don't care one way or the other regarding animation, so I know (as Firaxis has said) that I can replace ANY and ALL units with a non-animated units. Heck, I thought the many thousands of customize unit graphics that folks have developed for Civ2 are good enough. It will be just a matter of figuring out the mechanics dealing with the .gif files.

For example, do all of you know that there is a units.gif file developed for Civ2 that contains dozens of custom Viking units?
Well, excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me!

I haven't been around that long, only since late August of this year, so I hadn't seen anything about it. And I didn't say I think you wouldn't be able to, I just wasn't sure...
Old October 10, 2001, 14:07   #81
Steve Clark
King

Sorry, Boris, didn't mean to vent at you. I know there are quite of few folks here that have no experience with Civ2 (which still shocks the heck out of me). If those who haven't would just take a little to learn about how Civ2 have been customizable over the years, there would alot less misconceptions regarding Civ3. For example, replacing civs (or any other defaults) in Civ2 is routinely done (if it suits your preference). So all of this discussion about the 16 default civs in Civ3 is ludicrous, imo.

But to helpful (for once), this would be a good place to start.

http://csc.apolyton.net/

This shows just a small fraction of what have been done to customize Civ2 (and what to expect, I believe, for Civ3).
Old October 10, 2001, 19:01   #82
Mars
Prince

I'm starting as the americans and then working my way down the UUs til i get to the most "primitive" then i'll just play as anyone i choose.
Old October 10, 2001, 19:13   #83
red_jon
NationStates
King

It is very disturbing that so many people picked the French. Freaks
Old October 10, 2001, 20:19   #84
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

i couldnt play as the french because all that pink on the minimap induces vomiting.
Old October 10, 2001, 23:20   #85
JellyDonut
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Jingo
i couldnt play as the french because all that pink on the minimap induces vomiting.
The Pink Knights of the Roundtable condemn your racist remark against people of the pink color!

We demand an apology!

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!
Old October 10, 2001, 23:30   #86
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by JellyDonut

The Pink Knights of the Roundtable condemn your racist remark against people of the pink color!

We demand an apology!
Yes, or you will suffer the rath of the Maginot Line

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old October 11, 2001, 00:01   #87
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by red_jon
It is very disturbing that so many people picked the French. Freaks
Hopefully this will not lead to a precipitous decline in the use of body soaps and an increase in unfortunate incidents of smelly cheeses, language snobbery and running away from fights!

Old October 11, 2001, 00:32   #88
Stuie
King

Local Time: 10:13
Quote:

Yes they are! Just change the name of the Iroquois (or whatever one you don't care to see - perhaps the French? ) to Vikings. Don't play with civ attributes or unique units on (they're irrelevant in the long run) and voila! You have your Vikings (or whatever other nationality you want).
Don't forget to change their cultural grouping as well so that their cities look right.

Anyway, in response to some talk of the second game, mine will be Japanese, huge random map, 16 civs, all options on.
Old October 11, 2001, 08:40   #89
Ubik
Chieftain

Quote:

Yes, or you will suffer the rath of the Maginot Line
HAHAHAHA

stop it, it's hurting
Old October 11, 2001, 10:06   #90
Gothmog
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 10:13
Romans
At this point I see no reason to change my CIV II habits. That of course could change once I get into CIV III.