Old October 7, 2001, 13:57   #31
Ribannah
Queen

Local Time: 15:13
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Location: The Netherlands, Embassy of the Iroquois Confederacy
Quote:
Originally posted by zoom200
where would the Iroqoui starting postion be??
on the west coast or in Ontario???
New York, Ontario or perhaps Quebec.
Firaxis has chosen Salamanca in SW New York state. The towns of Teyagon (Seneca, but now Toronto) and Hochelaga (Huron, not part of the confederacy though; later some Mohawks joined-citied Montreal there) have also been suggested, but maybe they wanted to save the opportunity to introduce the Canadians later on .
Two other important towns are Caughnawaga (Mohawk, Salt St Louis) and Ganaraske (Cayuga, Port Hope).

Quote:
I don't know crap abt Native Amercican History....( since i am from asia ) but if i am not wrong...horses didnt exist in North Amercica till the spanish brought them ...since the horses originated from the steppes of Central Asia ( Ferghana )
Well, that is not exactly right. Horses originate from the Americas, but while they migrated to Asia - and grew in size there -, they died out in their land of origin.
So the Europeans re-introduced the horse, but more importantly: they brought Horseback Riding.
But while the Iroquois certainly got to know Horseback Riding, they lived in forest land and didn't have as much use for it as the Sioux and other plains tribes. That's why Firaxis had to come up with that paragraph about 'the Iroquois representing all native north-amerinds' to explain the 'Mounted Warrior'.
A pity since I would have liked to see for instance the Sioux, the Cherokee and the Hopi in an America-oriented expansion pack.
Old October 8, 2001, 04:02   #32
zoom200
Settler

Local Time: 22:13
Well, that is not exactly right. Horses originate from the Americas, but while they migrated to Asia - and grew in size there -, they died out in their land of origin.

How did the horses migrate from the Americas to Asia??? Swim across the bering strait???( just curious )

I suppose this happened way b4 the Iroquois discovered fire.....Since horses have been around asia for a long time

I feel the CSU of the iroquois ( or any Native American ) being a mounted unit is unjustified
Old October 8, 2001, 15:03   #33
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 07:13
Quote:
Originally posted by zoom200

How did the horses migrate from the Americas to Asia??? Swim across the Bering strait???( just curious )

I suppose this happened way b4 the Iroquois discovered fire.....Since horses have been around Asia for a long time

I feel the CSU of the Iroquois ( or any Native American ) being a mounted unit is unjustified

During the last Ice Age there was a land bridge connecting North America & Siberia which allowed people and animals to travel between the two contents. Animals such as horses & camels went from the Americas to Eurasia while animals like Bison, Wolves, Bears, great cats, and people (In this case Siberians hunters) went from Eurasia to the Americas.

Essentially what happened was that so much water was locked up as Glaciers and Polar ice caps that the mean global sea level dropped around the world. Numerous areas that are now separated by shallow seas became connected by dry land. The Bering land bridge connected North America to Eurasia, Britain & Ireland were connected to Europe (and the baltic sea dried up), Tasmania and Papua New Guinea were connected to Australia, & Indonesia (except Papua) was connected to mainland Asia. I hope this helps.
Old October 8, 2001, 19:13   #34
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 14:13
Hopefully the Mounted Warrior is not avaliable until the advent of Gunpowder or Navigation at the very least... Iroquois didn't even have access to horses until after 1500. As a civilization, They didn't last much past 1800. Also, They probably didn't have access to even a sizeable herd until 1628 when the Pilgrims came... Also, just how useful would horses be to the Iroquois who lived in a wooded area? Other than for irrigation, minimal transport, etc.

Mongol, Sioux or Cherokee would be better choices for horse-civilizations.
Old October 8, 2001, 19:20   #35
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 09:13
Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
During the last Ice Age there was a land bridge connecting North America & Siberia which allowed people and animals to travel between the two contents. Animals such as horses & camels went from the Americas to Eurasia while animals like Bison, Wolves, Bears, great cats, and people (In this case Siberians hunters) went from Eurasia to the Americas.

Essentially what happened was that so much water was locked up as Glaciers and Polar ice caps that the mean global sea level dropped around the world. Numerous areas that are now separated by shallow seas became connected by dry land. The Bering land bridge connected North America to Eurasia, Britain & Ireland were connected to Europe (and the baltic sea dried up), Tasmania and Papua New Guinea were connected to Australia, & Indonesia (except Papua) was connected to mainland Asia. I hope this helps.
First let me say that this is not proven fact, simply the most widely accepted explanation.

Secondly - why would a bunch of horses, a temperate climate animal, migrate NORTH during an ICE AGE and then cross into Siberia where's it's a whole lot colder, especially during an Ice Age? Temperatures already reach as low as -50C in Siberia

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old October 9, 2001, 15:44   #36
Myrddin
Warlord

Local Time: 14:13
But it's warmer in summer
Old October 9, 2001, 18:22   #37
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 09:13