Old October 6, 2001, 00:57   #1
The Rusty Gamer
Prince

Local Time: 02:14
Local Date: November 1, 2010
PC PowerPlay - Exclusive preview
Forgive me if this has already been mentioned but I've haven't the patience to wade through umpteen threads.

I've just bought the latest (October) issue of PC PowerPlay which is an Australian magazine so many of you may not have seen it. The cover story is an exclusive preview of CIV III.

Their web-site is www.pcpowerplay.com.au.
Old October 6, 2001, 00:58   #2
JellyDonut
Prince

Local Time: 15:14
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Good find! This will probably be a news item.

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!
Old October 6, 2001, 01:13   #3
Nemo
Prince

Local Time: 08:14
i have not seen anything on this yet.
very nice

maybe you could post some of the info from the mag?
pleeeeeease
Old October 6, 2001, 01:17   #4
java4me
Warlord

Local Time: 06:14
What about what is new in it?
Old October 6, 2001, 01:31   #5
JellyDonut
Prince

Anything notewhorthy perchance?

Old October 6, 2001, 01:34   #6
java4me
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by JellyDonut
Anything notewhorthy perchance?
That is what I want to find out!!!

SOME NEW INFO!!!
Old October 6, 2001, 02:28   #7
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Local Time: 09:14
This mag must be a treasure house of knowledge...tell all! tell all!
Old October 6, 2001, 02:40   #8
JellyDonut
Prince

Don't forget to scan it for us if you can!

Must.....have.....new.....info.....or.....will.... .die!
Help.....poor.....dying.....info.....deprived..... Jelly.....Donut!

Old October 6, 2001, 03:08   #9
Nemo
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by JellyDonut
Don't forget to scan it for us if you can!
yes, yes, scanning is GOOD!
i will giveyou all the remaining cookies that dont fit into my civ III cookie box in exchange for some scans and stuff
Old October 6, 2001, 03:25   #10
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 10:14
NO one will share in the glory of my CivIII tin!! NEVER!!

Meaning: no Anuni-cookie for you!
Old October 6, 2001, 03:32   #11
Nemo
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Anunikoba
NO one will share in the glory of my CivIII tin!! NEVER!!

Meaning: no Anuni-cookie for you!
what? not even for a scanned screenshot?
man, i heard the anuni-cookies are teh best, too!
hey, Russell, maybe if you give us ALOT of info Anunikoba might break down and share his awsome cookies with you!

Last edited by Nemo; October 6, 2001 at 03:38.
Old October 6, 2001, 03:47   #12
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 10:14
The only cookies I will be sharing are the ones that come out of my 'Temporary Internet Files' folder.

But seriously, we all would appreciate those scans! I was almost thinking about looking for that magazine, but I know that the odds of finding it here in the States is close to NULL.
Old October 6, 2001, 04:33   #13
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 22:14
We shall send our Ozzie brute squad - including such vicious characters as Alexander's Horse, tonic, finbar, Youngsun, and MidKnight Lament - to muscle out Russell if he fails to comply with our demands.

Old October 6, 2001, 04:58   #14
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 16:14
do they say that they actually played the game or is it one of the other kinf of previews(the ones where you are describing what you have been told on how the game works)?
Old October 6, 2001, 05:40   #15
The Rusty Gamer
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkG
do they say that they actually played the game or is it one of the other kinf of previews(the ones where you are describing what you have been told on how the game works)?
To quote from the article:

PCPowerPlay has been fortunate enough to play an entirely exclusive pre-release version of Civilization III - the only copy in Australia. While only 70% complete, this playtest proved that the spirit of Civ is recreated in all its glory.

I'm currently in the process of compiling some bits of the article which I'll then post.

Last edited by The Rusty Gamer; October 6, 2001 at 21:52.
Old October 6, 2001, 05:55   #16
Black Fluffy Lion

Good, good.

need more civ3 info....

Old October 6, 2001, 05:58   #17
The Rusty Gamer
Prince

OMG!
OMG! What have I started? Hmmm...so, from what I can gather, none of you knew about it then.

Unfortunately, I don't have a scanner. There's one at work but since I only do a small bit of part-time work now and only when I'm called in, that doesn't help much. Plus, it's some fiddling around isn't it?

I suppose the big question is, just what do you want to know about? Since I'm not sure just what's been said here already, I may just double up on information.

Perhaps I could just quote some of the stuff that is in bold in the article to begin with. The quotes are in green below.

Perhaps the most revolutionary change to the world of Civilization is the cultural aspects of controlling an empire. While making armies to squash your trade partners is always a sign of progressive government, military might isn't everything: just think of the Pyramids or Greek theatre. A culture has influence according to all its achievements, so Firaxis have made culture much more integral to Civilization. The traditional benefits of a stronger, happier, more productive population still result from building granaries, temples, and other improvements but national borders are now created as a result of the level of culture in each civilisation. Accordingly, cultural power and military power are connected.

Culture's impact on territory affects not just military might but resource gathering as well. The larger the city radius, the more land and resources are available. These resources fuel civilization growth: trade, research, production. Civilization is one big circle.

Trade is another facet of Civilization III that has changed significantly. Resources within your city radius need only a road to the city to be available for use. Then that resource can be used for unit production and trade. In fact, without certain resources, producing some units is impossible.

BRIGGS SAYS: "You may remember that you had a luxury slider bar that you allocated a certain amount of money to keep people happy. Well that slider bar is gone and has been replaced by the trade system."

The last area of significant change in the mechanics of Civilization is in the diplomatic arena. For the first time, a robust diplomatic system has been introduced to Civilization. Briggs reveals the interest in this facet of the game: "I can't tell you how many letters we've got from people saying how they wished diplomacy was more flexible, open-ended, more agressive (If the player wants to be agressive through the displomacy system). And we've worked on all of those things."

Firaxis has updated the visuals in Civilization III while maintaining the familiar look and feel that is so central to the Civilization experience. The world screen is extremely detailed with some 1200 different tiles being produced for the game. Individual units are now rendered in 3D and feature unique animations for movement and battle. The result is a livelier, visually exciting screen. The image of turn-based games being static has been subverted.

Wonders have been revisited with the result being some have had their effect lessened, some have been split into lesser Wonders that effect only one empire.

STOP THE POP: Pop-up screens were one of the best arguments that Civlization II was imperfect. Briggs explains how Firaxis imporved this element with Civ III: "We broke all popups into three categories. Those localized to an area, but require no user input, now appear on the map itself, near the area of focus. Those that were not localized to an area, but still didn't require user interaction became advisor messages. The last kind, those that require some user interaction (such as picking a new advance to research), still stop the game. The boon of this system is that approximately 2/3rds of the game stopping information windows no longer stop the game."

SID SAYS: "Our historical research for Civ III received revolved around the new features we've put into the game like new technologies, culture, expanded diplomacy, more intricate trade system, more powerful combat options, and how the interaction of all of these elements has impacted civlizations throughout history."

SID SAYS: "Our primary focus is always on making the gameplay fun. We use the latest bells and whistles only if they enhance gameplay. We built an entirely new graphics engine for Civ III through which we've created the best visual experience ever."

DEATH OF WONDERS MOVIE: Nick Rusko-Berger, Lead Artist, Firaxis Games: "We decided not to have wonder movies in Civ III mainly because we've spent a lot of time creating this beautiful immersive world and the wonder movies take you out of the world and interrupt gameplay. The decision was influenced by feedback from Civ players. There will be some very cool in-game visual rewards when you build a wonder. The rest of the game is chock-full of beautiful character animation."

THE SOUND OF PROGRESS: Mark Cromer, Sound Designer, Firaxis Games: "Audio for Civ III has been much improved from audio for Civ II. Units will have sfx that are mixed on the fly with pitch and volume randomization so they sound different and time perfectly. There is much more music than in Civ II and the music starts interactive with a new game. For example, each time the player builds a city or a unit, the music changes to reflect this."

Feel free to ask any questions and I'll see if the specifics are in the article.

Last edited by The Rusty Gamer; October 6, 2001 at 21:54.
Old October 6, 2001, 06:25   #18
Black Fluffy Lion

I think we already know most of that. The new things to me were about the pop-up windows and about the sound. Thanks for the info

Old October 6, 2001, 06:29   #19
Ralf
King

STOP THE POP: "We broke all popups into three categories. Those localized to an area, but require no user input, now appear on the map itself, near the area of focus. Those that were not localized to an area, but still didn't require user interaction became advisor messages. The last kind, those that require some user interaction (such as picking a new advance to research), still stop the game.

My italics. The game stops automatically for anything that actually requires player interaction. Good! Above includes new unit/city-orders requirements as well, I presume. No manually clicking forward, as in CTP/CTP-2.

Last edited by Ralf; October 6, 2001 at 06:37.
Old October 6, 2001, 06:37   #20
Crouchback
Warlord

Re: OMG!
Quote:
Originally posted by Russell

Trade is another facet of Civilization III that has changed significantly. Resources within your city radius need only a road to the city to be available for use. Then that resource can be used for unit production and trade. In fact, without certain resources, producing some units is impossible.

BRIGGS SAYS: "You may remember that you had a luxury slider bar that you allocated a certain amount of money to keep people happy. Well that slider bar is gone and has been replaced by the trade system."
So no more simply paying your trouble makers off, now we're going to have to think about making people actually happy. I thought culture was going to be the only big innovation, but it looks like the overhaul of the trade system could be bigger.

Can't wait to play the game. Well done Russell, go soak those tired fingers.

David
Old October 6, 2001, 07:23   #21
FrostyBoy
Emperor

Local Time: 22:14
hey! I grabbed that mag just today! (I am from chch too, got it from the palms mall while getting my groceries)

I only had a chance to flick through it, it has a nice large picture of Shaka Zulu, do you have a scanner Russel?
Old October 6, 2001, 08:36   #22
The Rusty Gamer
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Sn00py
hey! I grabbed that mag just today! (I am from chch too, got it from the palms mall while getting my groceries)

I only had a chance to flick through it, it has a nice large picture of Shaka Zulu, do you have a scanner Russel?
Only at work which I go to very seldom now.
Old October 6, 2001, 08:49   #23
GodSpawn
Prince

Local Time: 14:14
Quote:
Originally posted by Russell

To quote from the article:

PCPowerPlay has been fortunate enough to play an entirely exclusive pre-release version of Civilization III - the only copy in Australia. While only 70% complete, this playtest proved that the spirit of Civ is recreated in all its glory.

I'm currently in the process of compiling some bits of the article which I'll then post.
Interesting about the 70% complete. I wonder how old the copy was that they got to play with? If it was, say, end of August, and it was 70% complete then, could they really have completed 30% of the game in just over a month (assuming the rumours about it going gold soon are true...)
Old October 6, 2001, 09:04   #24
Father Beast
King

Local Time: 07:14
Good gosh, Sometimes I don't know what to believe. We garnered from some old screenshots that there is no luxury slider.

Then they release a domestic advisor screenshot 28 Sep that has a luxury slider.

Then this preview says there is no luxury slider.

so which one is old news? the screenshot released just last week, or the hands on preview from when it's 70% done?

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn
Old October 6, 2001, 09:23   #25
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Yeah, I was thinking that I noticed a luxury slider bar somewhere, yet heard that there was no luxury slider. I wonder what is going on

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old October 6, 2001, 11:19   #26
Viking Ship
Settler

Local Time: 14:14
Russell: Many thanks for taking the time to provide us with a good scoop! Much of what you wrote here was just the usual game overview material, though. What does the magazine say about the actual gameplay experience the previewers had? Kudos!
Old October 6, 2001, 11:29   #27
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Old October 6, 2001, 13:25   #28
JellyDonut
Prince

Does anybody in Australia/NZ have a scanner? Is there a Kinko's anywhere down there? I want to see the big Shaka!

Old October 6, 2001, 13:53   #29
java4me
Warlord

Makes me want the game even more!!! But Father Beast did bring up a topic, there was a luxury slider in that screenshot. Maybe they are planning on deciding how many luxury resources go to each city or people.
Old October 6, 2001, 15:34   #30
Nemo
Prince

Thanks for the update Russell!

Nemo hand Russell a few cookies

Enjoy!

you'll get more cookies with future updates