Old October 6, 2001, 10:37   #1
Fiera
Emperor

Local Time: 15:15
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Err... what does this exactly mean?
This if from the Ask the Civ Team, in the Question regarding governments.

Quote:
While your choice of government does not directly affect the production of culture, the editor allows you to assign a required government type to wonders and city improvements, effectively making a particular government more conducive to culture generation.
I'm sorry if you've already discussed this. Been looking for it but having been able to find it.

My question is: what are they exactly referring to?

That some buildings/Wonders will produce more culture under certain governments if you edit it that way? Or something else I didn't get?

Thanks.
Old October 6, 2001, 10:43   #2
Akron
Prince

Local Time: 09:15
It seems that in the editor, you can choose which governments will be able to build certain improvements and which won't. So some governments will allow you to produce more culture producing buildings than others, if you want it to be that way.
Old October 6, 2001, 10:48   #3
Fiera
Emperor

Oh, thanks!

I must say it was easy to understand, but hard for me to imagine, I guess! Since I'm too used to the Civ2 way: improvements and wonders require techs to be built.
Old October 6, 2001, 14:12   #4
Akron
Prince

IIRC, in the regular game, all governments allow you to build all improvements given that you have the required technology. There is some speculation that certain improvements may also require resources, though I doubt this. I think that small wonder could possibly also be required for certain improvements, or at least the editor could make this possible.

From what I've read so far, it looks like the editor will be a powerful and invaluable tool for scenario makers!
Old October 6, 2001, 14:20   #5
java4me
Warlord

Local Time: 06:15
Quote:
Originally posted by Akron
It seems that in the editor, you can choose which governments will be able to build certain improvements and which won't. So some governments will allow you to produce more culture producing buildings than others, if you want it to be that way.
I think that he is right about it. That FIRAXIS is talking about what you can do with the editor. I honestly think that the game will be great as it ships!!!
Old October 6, 2001, 15:23   #6
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Quote:
There is some speculation that certain improvements may also require resources, though I doubt this.
Itīs not speculation, but confirmed by Firaxis: Resources, like iron, oil, and uranium, allow the construction of specific units and buildings. (http://www.civ3.com/devupdate_resources.cfm)
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old October 6, 2001, 15:30   #7
Akron
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by lockstep

Itīs not speculation, but confirmed by Firaxis: Resources, like iron, oil, and uranium, allow the construction of specific units and buildings. (http://www.civ3.com/devupdate_resources.cfm)
yeah, you're right.

I know that the minor wonder for steel making requires coal and iron and I'm sure thats some other minor wonders need resources, though I'm not sure that city improvements would require resources. Maybe certain special ones might, but its unlikely that basic ones such as temples and marketplaces would require resources.
Old October 6, 2001, 16:01   #8
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Quote:
I'm not sure that city improvements would require resources. Maybe certain special ones might, but its unlikely that basic ones such as temples and marketplaces would require resources.
I guess that all or most of the ancient improvements donīt require resources. OTOH, if you needed resources for the crucial industrial and modern buildings and donīt have access to these resources on your own territory, this really would be an incentive to trade with other civs. (And in the late game, you should be in contact with most of the civs.)

Perhaps this is was Firaxis intended with the introduction of resources: Remove 'splendid isolation' as a viable option.
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old October 6, 2001, 16:53   #9
Grim Legacy
Prince

Hmmm these resources could be just one more thing that nails you on the almighty Force of Luck. If your starting position lacks crucial resources, you might be in for a poor game. Additionally, all the previous terrain requirements in Civ will be present...

Let's hope for the best.
Old October 6, 2001, 16:56   #10
JellyDonut
Prince

I liked being the isolationist in Civ II. I still like to play isolationist OCC (i.e. none of your units are allowed outside the city radius). Nothing like an early landing on isolationist OCC...

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!