Old October 6, 2001, 14:25   #1
Cube
Warlord

Local Time: 07:16
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Can't get unit updater to work
Recently with medmod V2 coming out I though I would implement Peter Triggs unit udater, but I can't get it to work. I already edited everything for medmod, but it says it cant find the MOB messages, and I can't find it in script.slc. I extracted update string . txt from the 9/13 craddle update, but it still doesn't work. I searched for the thread, but didn't find it either. Can any one help?
Old October 7, 2001, 10:10   #2
Peter Triggs
CTP2 Source Code ProjectCivilization IV Creators
King

Local Time: 14:16
"MOB messages"? I never wrote anything about MOB messages.

In a day or two I'll put together a file so that you can just insert the Updater into MedMod, but I'm working on something else right now.
Old October 7, 2001, 16:48   #3
Cube
Warlord

It says something like MObunitcost not found in string database. Basically what I think the problem is that its not finding the messages that popup to upgrade the units. The part that says units need to be upgraded, we have this much gold, do you want to upgrade all the units, do you want to upgrade some of the units etc........ I read the installation file and it says I need to put CRA_scen_str.txt in a scenario folder, but I didn't find CRA_scen_str.txt in the 9/13 update, and I don't want to download craddle since it's 12 MB and my connection sucks.

In a day or two I'll put together a file so that you can just insert the Updater into MedMod, but I'm working on something else right now.

that's Ok I need to study for two test, Differential Equations(a Hard math class), and Communications 1302( I need to read 3 chapters). My Diff. EQ. test is tommorow, and the Communications test is on Teusday, so I probably won't be playing CTP 2 until Wednesday.
Old October 8, 2001, 15:10   #4
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 09:16
Quote:
Originally posted by Cube
I read the installation file and it says I need to put CRA_scen_str.txt in a scenario folder, but I didn't find CRA_scen_str.txt in the 9/13 update, and I don't want to download craddle since it's 12 MB and my connection sucks.
The most current Cradle update file has all of the text files only (582 KB), so the file you are looking for should be in there.

I could always send you a CD with all my modified files...
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...
Old October 10, 2001, 16:59   #5
Peter Triggs
King

Ahh, the MObs strings, it comes back to me. Couldn't do what I had originally planned but this should help:

Here's the original UnitUpdater file. Since you want to use it with the MedMod expansion pack, I've renamed it MM2X_UnitUpdater.slc. Put it in the same folder as the other MM2X_... slc files.

Now here's the strings you need:

Code:
MObsUnitsFirst  "Great news, Sire! Our recent discovery will allow us to re-train and re-equip some of
our military units. We have already switched production to the new units but we have some
old units in use. Shall I proceed?"

MObsUnitsCostOK  "We have {NUM_OBS_UNITS} {OBS_UNIT_ARRAY[0].name} units who are pleading for
more modern equipment. It will cost {TOTAL_COST} gold to provide them with it and we have enough gold in
the treasury. Shall we retrain and re-equip all of them?"

MObsUnitsCostOKand1unit "We have {NUM_OBS_UNITS} {OBS_UNIT_ARRAY[0].name} unit who is pleading for
more modern equipment. It will cost {TOTAL_COST} gold to provide them with it and we have enough gold in
the treasury. Shall we re-train and re-equip them?"

SOME "Not all. Show me them."

MPartialUpdate "Shall we modernize this unit?" 

MObsUnitsCostNotEnoughGold "It will cost {TOTAL_COST} gold to modernize those units
but we don't have enough gold in the treasury. Shall we retrain and
re-equip some of them?"

MNoMoreGold "Sire, I regret to inform you that the treasury is bare."
Copy and paste these into whatever file Wes has been using for his strings (presumably, one of the string files in ctp2_data\english\gamedata).

Now you get to customize the data. At the beginning of the UnitUpdater file there are four data arrays:

Code:
//DATA ARRAYS:  here's where you fill in the above arrays

enadv[0]=AdvanceDB(ADVANCE_FEUDALISM);
OLD_UNIT_TYPE[0]=UnitDB(UNIT_HOPLITE);
NEW_UNIT_TYPE[0]=UnitDB(UNIT_PIKEMEN);
PER_UNIT_UPDATE_COST[0]=205;

enadv[1]=AdvanceDB(ADVANCE_FEUDALISM);
OLD_UNIT_TYPE[1]=UnitDB(UNIT_WARRIOR);
NEW_UNIT_TYPE[1]=UnitDB(UNIT_PIKEMEN);
PER_UNIT_UPDATE_COST[1]=230;

enadv[2]=AdvanceDB(ADVANCE_GUNPOWDER);
OLD_UNIT_TYPE[2]=UnitDB(UNIT_ARCHER);
NEW_UNIT_TYPE[2]=UnitDB(UNIT_INFANTRYMAN);
PER_UNIT_UPDATE_COST[2]=850;
Those are just examples, you'll want to fill them in with your own data. I think it's pretty self-explanatory. You just have to go through the MedMod tech tree and decide which advances you want to allow the enabling of which updates, and how much it should cost. You can have as many as you want so long as you follow the above pattern.

You've already got CRA_updater.slc; check Hexagonian's data there. But remember that the data is relative to the Unit and Advance databases (Units.txt and Advance.txt) so it won't be completely compatible.
Attached Files:
File Type: slc mm2x_unitupdater.slc (14.1 KB, 11 views)
Old October 10, 2001, 19:28   #6
Cube
Warlord

I already edited it for medmod there were about 40 or so unit updates, and it was very tediuos. I lowerered the upgrade cost to about 0.1 % production since money is hard to make in medmod with the high upkeeps, or at least it was in the previous version.

I though these were messages, but you said they were strings. I know messages go in the MM2_script.slc file, But I don't really know where the strings go. I'll have to try in all the files in that folder except the library ones. What's the difference between a string and a message?
Old October 11, 2001, 19:07   #7
Peter Triggs
King

Some people put their 'messages', really 'messageboxes', in a separate .slc file (I don't know why). But the strings, which are the actual text that the message sends go in a .txt file. Originally, it would have been scenario_str.txt, but I don't know what Wes is using now.
Old October 12, 2001, 18:41   #8
Cube
Warlord

well I got it to work, and I'm playing, but I haven't discovered phalanx yet so I don't know if it works. It didn't give any error messages, so It more than likely works.

Wes uses MM2_scenario_str.txt for his strings.