Old October 7, 2001, 22:24   #31
PGM
Prince

Local Time: 14:16
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by connorkimbro
i will definately participate in this "alliance"
Thank you to all that are volunteering to do this. Maybe somewhere in time we'll be able to do the same for our American (and Canadian ) friends.

connorkimbro, I sent you a PM.
Old October 7, 2001, 22:41   #32
connorkimbro
Emperor

Local Time: 08:16
message recieved and responded. And i'd be willing to do the same for anyone else that i'm doing for PGM. he had a better way than i did, btw

-theonion.com
Old October 7, 2001, 22:48   #33
Simpleton
Prince

Local Time: 07:16
Quote:
Originally posted by PGM

(and Canadian ) friends.

connorkimbro, I sent you a PM.
Finally......recognition!!!
Old October 7, 2001, 23:17   #34
PGM
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by connorkimbro
he had a better way than i did, btw
Yes, here is what we're going to do, I hope some more people can take advantage of this too:

1) I placed an order at an US site (I chose Amazon.com) with my own credit card and connorkimbro's mailing address.

2) After connorkimbro gets the package, he'll send it to me and tell me how much shipping was.

3) I will immediately send payment to him (we agreed on an Amazon gift certificate) in the same amount as the shipment.

It's a perfect plan!
Old October 8, 2001, 06:20   #35
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 16:16
Quote:
Originally posted by PGM

Yes, here is what we're going to do, I hope some more people can take advantage of this too:

1) I placed an order at an US site (I chose Amazon.com) with my own credit card and connorkimbro's mailing address.

2) After connorkimbro gets the package, he'll send it to me and tell me how much shipping was.

3) I will immediately send payment to him (we agreed on an Amazon gift certificate) in the same amount as the shipment.

It's a perfect plan!
hm. it seems to me that you might end up paying approx. the same (cost of two separate shipments might come very close)
Old October 8, 2001, 13:30   #36
GodSpawn
Prince

Let's wait and see, eh?

Tell you what, I'll bet you a virtual beer the UK one is out within 2 weeks of the US one...
Old October 8, 2001, 13:36   #37
tniem
King

Local Time: 09:16
I am willing as well to help anyone that needs to get the American version. PM or email me if you want such an arangement.
Old October 8, 2001, 14:42   #38
Ozymandous
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by LaRusso

hm. it seems to me that you might end up paying approx. the same (cost of two separate shipments might come very close)
Excuse me?

I don't know about the rest of the world but here in the US a postage stamp is less than $0.40. A simple postage stamp is all that is needed to ship the gift certificate back to cover the shipping costs. This is far les than having to pay shipment twice, unless I simply missed something.
Old October 8, 2001, 14:57   #39
Jahi
Warlord

Local Time: 08:16
if i pick up an extra copy i'd be willing to ship it out to you guys.
Old October 8, 2001, 15:15   #40
korn469
Emperor

Ozymandous

you buy amazon.com gift certificates with a credit card and they are emailed to you, but what i think LaRusso is trying to say is that by paying shipping costs to both connorkimbro's house and to europe that it might be about the same cost just to order it and have amazon.com to ship it directly to europe
Old October 8, 2001, 15:33   #41
Crouchback
Warlord

Quote:
Posted in this thread.

I don't have any additional information on localized versions, all I can tell you is that the UK will be receiving the same version as the US stores will be receiving, and that version is expected on October 30th.

As soon as we have concrete information on localized versions of the game, we'll post it to civ3.com and let all the fansites know.

Dan

www.firaxis.com
Yes it is true, we'll be getting the same game at the same time. At last the English speaking peoples find a cause to unite them, apart from laughing at the pinko French.

David
Old October 8, 2001, 17:01   #42
GodSpawn
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by GodSpawn
Let's wait and see, eh?

Tell you what, I'll bet you a virtual beer the UK one is out within 2 weeks of the US one...
Ahem.
Old October 8, 2001, 17:12   #43
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 15:16
Well it doesn't look like there is an issue now, as the UK and US release is simultaneous. We will just have to hope that other areas of the world will receive the game at pretty much the same time as well!

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old October 8, 2001, 17:57   #44
Crouchback
Warlord

I posted a new thread in a discussion forum of Infogrames UK, trying to get them to confirm the simultaneous launch and some info on the LE. So far Civ3 isn't mentioned there at all, and all the UK web distributors are still saying late November/December.

Guess we'll see.

David
Old October 8, 2001, 17:58   #45
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by red_jon
If only people on both sides of the Atlantic would agree to a boycott until it is accessable to Europeans and Americans.
Yes, I'm sure you'd do the same for us Jon

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old October 8, 2001, 19:10   #46
PGM
Prince

Yes. Yes. Wow. Just read the news. I can't believe it, US and UK getting it at the same time...
I guess this changes everything. Let's just hope it turns out to be true, ie, even if the UK gets the game on October 30, they might not be "allowed" to sell it until a certain date. I hope this is not the case. And if the best projections turn out to be for real, non-UK residents can order the game from UK sites, and get the game much sooner and far cheaper than ordering it from american sites.

LaRusso, it's not only a matter of the double shipment cost (which btw was indeed cheaper than ordering directly from an American site + tax), but also Amazon.com won't send software to many European countries due to warranty/distribution issues.

edit:
GodSpawn: *PGM takes a bow*
Old October 8, 2001, 19:11   #47
GodSpawn
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by GodSpawn
Let's wait and see, eh?

Ahem.
Old October 9, 2001, 01:18   #48
tniem
King

It looks like the alliance worked.
Old October 9, 2001, 05:02   #49
Simpleton
Prince

Local Time: 07:16
Why doesn't everybody from continental Europe just seek out people from England? It's being released there the same day as in America and I bet the shipping and handling would be much cheaper as well as quicker.
Old October 9, 2001, 05:08   #50
Deathwalker
Prince

There useless, there is not major differense between the Britiah and American versions, the languages dont differer much. Not enough for a major code change, yet there is a big delay. So we have to wait so they can change the box and one or two words. It's not like they have to translate every word like the conversion to Franch or German. It makes no sence
Old October 9, 2001, 05:32   #51
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 15:16
Quote:
Originally posted by Deathwalker
There useless, there is not major differense between the Britiah and American versions, the languages dont differer much. Not enough for a major code change, yet there is a big delay. So we have to wait so they can change the box and one or two words. It's not like they have to translate every word like the conversion to Franch or German. It makes no sence
Unless they fly thousands of boxes over from the US for sale in Europe there will be separate printing, publishing and distribution deals to be made. The authorities will want to examine the game to ensure it meets UK regulations since our software laws and definitions of indecent/age restricted material are not identical to the the US. All this sort of stuff can cause delays. Sad but true. Still, I'd rather wait a couple of weeks than risk an extra £20 costs slapped on by the ever so nice UK Customs who seem to get me every time I order stuff from America.