View Poll Results: Whats the MAX Nuke destruction Radius that would be appropriate/good?
1 square 5 6.49%
2 squares 23 29.87%
3 squares 18 23.38%
4 squares 15 19.48%
Global Killer 12 15.58%
Berry Nukes 4 5.19%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 7, 2001, 12:33   #31
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 15:17
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Shagadelic baby! And ransom the world for a million $

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old October 7, 2001, 14:33   #32
cassembler
Prince

Local Time: 08:17
I kinda like the idea of SMAC where some things were directional (the "grass" grew on the east side of hills, etc.) and so after a nuke was used, there could be perhaps a direction of wind that randomly sends the radioactivity to nearby terrain... So if you nuke a nearby area, you should have to worry about the wind giving your citizens cancer for the next 10 turns or so (and killing your horses too ).
Old October 7, 2001, 14:57   #33
d_dudy
Prince

i just hope there's atomic weapons (1 sqaure with pollution on 3?) and hydrogen bombs (2 sqaure destruction with pollution on 4?)
Old October 7, 2001, 15:12   #34
Ironwood
Prince

Local Time: 07:17
Quote:
Originally posted by Simpleton
I always hated nukes and planet busters. After building up a great city the computer would somehow always find it and nuke/planet bust it even though I never did a thing to it. It sucked!! If the computer would play a little more cautious with these weapons I may support a larger radius than the 2 which I chose. But for now I choose 2 max.
You Simpleton!

I loved getting hit by planet busters, or rather, *one* planet buster. I always tried to ensure that the UN Charter always remained standing (and I think the militants tipped the balance in only one game). This one game, I was building defenses on my west side, because the Hive was just across the sea and harrassing me. Unfortunately, I neglected my eastern frontier, and Santiago, up to this point friendly, decided to invade. I rushed to go full military mode, and started to expel her from my territory. She didn't like this very much.

So, she planet busted my best city. Tragic loss, true, but what I gained was *every* faction on the planet at war with her. I quickly rolled back the remainder of her assault, and soon began taking over her main island, while Zhakarov reclaimed much of his own territory, and also took part in the carving up of her domain. Any carrier that tried to harrass my east side was killed by Yang (who was still at war with me, but only nominally). All because she was stupid enough to drop a planet buster on me. What an idiot!
Take me as I am.
Old October 7, 2001, 16:45   #35
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

I edited the rules.txt file to remove nukes from the game. I hated the way the AI used them at the drop of a feather. And realism be darned, I want to live in a world where nuclear weapons do not exist.

Cheers.
Old October 7, 2001, 17:02   #36
d_dudy
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov
I edited the rules.txt file to remove nukes from the game. I hated the way the AI used them at the drop of a feather. And realism be darned, I want to live in a world where nuclear weapons do not exist.

Cheers.
that's a great feel good sentiment
Old October 7, 2001, 17:42   #37
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by d_dudy

that's a great feel good sentiment
Hehehe, ain't it, though? Made me feel good!
Old October 7, 2001, 19:58   #38
Simpleton
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Ironwood

So, she planet busted my best city. Tragic loss, true, but what I gained was *every* faction on the planet at war with her. I quickly rolled back the remainder of her assault, and soon began taking over her main island, while Zhakarov reclaimed much of his own territory, and also took part in the carving up of her domain. Any carrier that tried to harrass my east side was killed by Yang (who was still at war with me, but only nominally). All because she was stupid enough to drop a planet buster on me. What an idiot!
Your story is painful to hear because it has happened oh too often in SMAC. You finally start kicking the computer's butt out of your territory, even though they attacked you, then they drop that THING!! On my best city. Yes, its true that it helps you crush the one who dropped it BUT for me.....YEEEECH!
I hate it.
Old October 8, 2001, 08:30   #39
TheRussianKing
Chieftain

Local Time: 22:17
Im sorry if I wasnt clear about "berry Nukes" not A berry Nuke! this is actually supposed to say BURRY them sory for spelling. in other words: NO NUKES.
I really thing 4 squares does go too far unless its an asteroid. (hey most ppl seem to agree on 2 sq. like me that must mean Im a reasonable person hehe)
3 squares should have come in CTP and CTP2. because they have good future technology.
Nukes should also DESTROY the city, because the center is everything and the rural area will die off anyway... therefore Nukes are used against an Enemy to show Power or to show that U dont want their stinky city! u just want revenge!!
Old October 8, 2001, 08:48   #40
TheRussianKing
Chieftain

And By the Way:: if u get the problem of getting nuked: remember, ur not invinsible!! if u get ur cities captured, It just means u cand build enough SDI's and I wish there was no protection from nukes, Ud just have to build borders around urself so the nukes crash into them.
U just have to watch out! otherwise the game is boring!
FIRAXIS: take note!!
Old October 8, 2001, 09:03   #41
Gangerolf
Prince

There should be several kinds of nukes:
S, M, L, XL, XXL
Old October 8, 2001, 09:14   #42
SITS
King

Local Time: 14:17
Maybe surrounding cities will also lose pop points and have a slower growth because of the wonderful effects of nuclear weapons.
'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna
Old October 8, 2001, 09:49   #43
TheRussianKing
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by SITS
Maybe surrounding cities will also lose pop points and have a slower growth because of the wonderful effects of nuclear weapons.
yeah but only those within the radius.
Old October 8, 2001, 10:09   #44
SITS
King

I was thinking about the longer term effects of a nuclear explosion. The radiation from Chernobyl could be found on Welsh hillsides. So I would say cities in a 10 sq radius would be affected by a nuclear explosion.
'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna
Old October 8, 2001, 13:15   #45
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 09:17
there should be "unholy armegheddon world buster missle" which could be a major wonder.

"don't f*ck with the romans, they have the unholy armegheddon world buster missle!"
Old October 8, 2001, 15:24   #46
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 09:17
Uber, that's an interesting idea...

Civ2: "Our words are backed with nuclear weapons!"

Civ3: "F*ck with us and we'll launch a nuke up your ***!"

Ah, the joys of casual profanity... I'm sure that will make Civ3 the most realistic game ever. Heck, I bet bush has said that to at least one foreign diplomat so far...

Anyways, I believe nukes should hit a maximum of 2 square radius, but pollute far beyond that. And, they would add to global warming.
Old October 8, 2001, 18:45   #47
SITS
King

When I was living with my brother I changed the Civ2 text file and added various 'naughty' words like 'I'd f*** the king day!' or when it ended 'The king is a Tw*t' etc

Which is alright until I got married and my wife was playing it and I'd forgoten I had changed it and so she was quite surprised!

I made up for it by changing the text in the (can't remember what it is called) hall of fame screen to something like 'The world will remember you as useless but I still love you!' Which made her smile!

Old October 9, 2001, 00:43   #48
TheRussianKing
Chieftain

LOL thast very sweet, SITS I should try it sumtime

and yeah, I think that ALL squares in a Nuke's blast radius should get wasted, besides the ones outside them.
AND I would REALLY like to see an IMPRESSIVE Nuclear explosion
Old October 9, 2001, 05:22   #49
Messer Niccolò
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
incineration: 1 square
major damage: 3 squares
unit death: 4 squares
... I agree...
and a lot of "special pollution"... (harder to eliminate!)
Old October 9, 2001, 06:52   #50
J10
Settler

I'm not really too concerned about how "big" or destructive the nukes are, although I think it's destructive enuff in civ2. I can't say I invented it but on my FIRST game on civ2 I figured out how to capture one city on an enemy's continent, build about 40 spies to nuke and destroy all units all the cities on a continent and have 30 land units wait to capture the empty cities, one by one you can capture the whole continent, ALL IN ONE TURN. Then send engineers to clean the sh\t up.

What I'm saying is, could there be a bigger consequences when a player decide to nuke? Whether it's ICBM or tactical warhead (I don't think spy nuke is possible in Civ3 right?) Something tougher than all nations declaring war on you then you pay your allies off in 2 turns. Or perhaps that's how it works in the real world

Last edited by J10; October 9, 2001 at 06:58.
Old October 9, 2001, 08:28   #51
SITS
King

In SMAC using a Planet Buster is considered to be atrocity and all the factions declare a war on you, including a faction that might be submissive to you. Unless you lift the restrictions on their use beforehand...

Old October 9, 2001, 09:23   #52
Typo
Chieftain

ICBMs should not be a tool to capture cities at least not so they're useful anymore. I'd like to see this with regard to ICBM missile attacks on cities:

1st strike means the destruction of 80% of city improvements and 70% of population.

2nd strike results in the total destruction of the city and pop and destruction of the city tile.

I hated the way in civ 2 you could just nuke, capture and clean up...
Old October 9, 2001, 12:54   #53
Th0mas
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

I'm sorry if someone has raised this already (I don't have time to read the whole lot) but by radius you mean the distance from centre of the nuclear strike to the outside edge.

...if so I would vote for 2, as that would result in a 5x5 block of smoking landscape (assuming the centre tile is not included)

6 years lurking, 5 minutes posting
Old October 10, 2001, 01:44   #54
SITS
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Th0mas
I'm sorry if someone has raised this already (I don't have time to read the whole lot) but by radius you mean the distance from centre of the nuclear strike to the outside edge.

...if so I would vote for 2, as that would result in a 5x5 block of smoking landscape (assuming the centre tile is not included)
Yeah, it would be the centre of the explosion.

Old October 11, 2001, 00:12   #55
TheRussianKing
Chieftain

Typo's right
Nukes should be a tool of Destruction of the enemy, not capture!!
There:
Atomic bomb (1sq radius)
center square kills whole city and all units,
surrounding squares kill 75% of city and all units

Hydrogen Bomb (2sq rad)
Center kills everything, including air units that may be flying above the city (If there is the 'sky' map that used to be called Space in CTP1)
surrounding sq do the same but without the plane effect.
2nd sq away damages units until they have 1HP and cities have 25% ppl left.

Hyper-ICBM (3 sq)
Center and surrounding sqares kill ALL and ALL
2nd sq away kills units and 95% cities!
3rd sq away kills 50% city and 75% units health.