Old October 6, 2001, 23:56   #1
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Local Time: 09:17
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Do You Take SMAC/SMAX Personally?
Do you get mad when Yang comes from nowhere and takes out a former with his Needlejet. Even though the former is old and working on a relitivly minor task.

Do you get enraged when Lal calls you for the hundreth time asking for help against Santiago who has no problem with you at the moment. And then he has the gaul to question your political views.

Do you get upset when your submissive who has two bases left picks a fight with Yang who has about 30 bases.

Do you get incensed when Roze talks sweet to you one year and the next a probe team sneeks up and takes a peek at your labs.

Do you ever just freak out when your invading army gets ambushed by mindworms.

Do you ever just stare at the screen in disbelief as a meteor strikes your HQ with all your important special projects.

Have you ever referred to Miriam as "That b1tch to the north"

Have you ever pounded the desk when a sea colonly shows up next to one of your shore bases. Or when that little ***** Morgan crowds your rightful territory.

I do all of these things.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old October 7, 2001, 00:30   #2
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 00:17
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I feel you brother, trust me. Last week I switched to Thought Control early just so I could pick a fight with the Cyborgs, who had bitten off most of my ocean heartland (I was the Pirates) with strategically placed deep-water settlements.
Old October 7, 2001, 00:57   #3
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 03:17
I think "taking SMAC personally" is the main reason SMAC is such a great game, the faction leaders are very easy to like or loathe. It is very hard to build up any emotion in a game with no Leaders *cough* CTP2 *cough*, lack of enjoyable diplomacy was CTP2's #1 failing.

I'm very much looking forward to the new civ leaders in Civ3. Lets hope the diplomatic and polotical enviroment in Civ3 is as rich as SMAC's (this could be difficult without SE & ideology...).
Old October 7, 2001, 06:13   #4
Cybergod
Prince

Local Time: 15:17
I just hate it when I can't run planned because both Morgan and Gaians (the two most powerful factions at that time) will hate me!

Oh yeah, and Miriam and Yang . They just p*ss me off when I start trying to play a builder game and they land right next to me, with Impact squads and Rovers!
Old October 7, 2001, 06:36   #5
Clear Skies
Prince

Local Time: 14:17
In response to the title: YES!
Ugh! I have detested all of the faction leaders at one time or another. Miriam and her hateful fanaticism, Santiago and her seething revulsion for anyone with better tech than her, Lal with his 'holier-and-definitely-better-than-you' attitude, Morgan and his 'I will crush you like a bug' when he has like 2 bases left, Deirdre and her 'my Environmental Police will enjoy destroying you', Yang and his pure sheer hatred and aggression, and last but not least Zak with his 'oh don't hurt me, i'm just a harmless researcher'.

Even the later SMAX factions did little to improve on that. Sven steals the entire ocean and then expects you to put up with him, Domai expands like heck and then wonders why everyone hates him, the Fungboy throws mindworms at you the second he meets you, Roze sucks up and then probes your a$$ to heck and back, and the aliens just end up dragging you into their totally pointless war. It seems to me Aki is the only one I haven't hated in one game or another - and since I normally play as her, it doesn't give me much chance to play against her! Maybe I should just have a 7-Aki game...
"Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman
Old October 7, 2001, 16:03   #6
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 11:17
oh you forgot the "i wouldn't want the planetary transit system to fall into your hands" coming from a pactmate.
Old October 7, 2001, 18:02   #7
Vlad Antlerkov
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 08:17
Yes, yes, yes.

Those AIs are annoying me so much... they're damned lucky that the U.N. charter is still up. *builds another 30 PBs*
Old October 8, 2001, 06:35   #8
Panzer
Warlord

I second anything that has been said in this thread! Really, Whenever I see Miriams ugly face popping up on my screen I'm having acute stomach cramps. Not that that matters of course, that makes it all the more satisfying when I *ahem* 'redecorate' her continent.
Old October 8, 2001, 08:24   #9
Tizzy
Warlord

Do I take it personally?
Of course I do

"You killed my innocent little colony pod? That's it! You die, b1tch!"
Old October 8, 2001, 09:01   #10
Alex
Emperor

I take it personally all the time, esp. with Miriam, that &#@%!+ b1tch!

I remember a game where I was playing builder, trying to be nice with everyone, and I was not expanding, I was mostly confined to my own continent (oh, and I was Zak).

Miriam was on another continent, and we were separated by a few ocean squares. But we met since the beginning, and I managed to be her pact brother (and this was strange, because she usually hates Zak). A few turns later (five, to be more accurate) she deployed four impact rovers and one laser squad on my continent, next to one of my most productive bases. Fortunately, I had been preparing myself to that, so I managed to get her force wiped out. But I hated her so much for that, I changed from builder to hybrid and then to momentum, chasing her and fighting her till the end of the game. When I aimed victory by transcendence, it was too late - Yang had grown to really huge proportions and started to threat me. So I had to kill him too. Ended the game by conquering all factions, but with a deep grief on my heart and I hated Miriam thoroughly, she was the main responsible for that bloodbath! But it was fun...
Old October 8, 2001, 09:16   #11
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 10:17
Yes, especially my MP games.
Old October 8, 2001, 09:19   #12
The Mad Monk
Emperor

I absolutely take it personally! That one reason its so much fun! I enjoy being the peacful researcher (Zak, of course), while also spending time playing the peacekeeper in the world (since Lal always fails so miserably). Of course I tend to get a little upset when the factions I just got to stop fighting ally not even ten years later to stop the 'unethical university'.

Unethical. Sheesh.

Ah well...submissives are easier to keep the peace with, anyway...

Quote:
I feel you brother, trust me.
*...edges away from Mr. President...*
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old October 8, 2001, 10:47   #13
Tizzy
Warlord

Although I don't take it quite as personally as my usual hot seat partner, who gets huffy when I attack his bases
Old October 8, 2001, 11:14   #14
Bella Hella
Prince

LOL! yup
i hate it when the worms come calling before you even have your garrison unit built.

i hate it when svensgaard build his dumb sea bases all around your country.

i hate it how everybody else wanders around your territory like they own the place, then as soon as your scout patrol sets FOOT in their area to explore, they call you up all pissed off.

i hate it when your loyal allies for the last couple of hundred years decide to combine forces and launch a surprise attack on you.

i hate it when someone who has a grand total of 2 bases declares vendetta on anyone else. how stupid can you be?

i hate it when the other factions demand techs and offer nothing in return. then when you offer to TRADE techs, they laugh at you and say no.

i hate it when they shoot down my formers, destroy my nice forests and probe my techs.

i hate it when an isle of the deep shows up, disembarks some mind worms, you deal with them, then realize that they have a spore launcher sitting there on the IoD blasting away at your fams and roads. and you don't even have doctrine: flex yet so you can do anything about it.

i hate it when the AI sends gimpy troops over to your land to try and fight you. you feel bad. it's like shooting puppies.

i hate it when your closest neighbor who you've been pals with the whole time votes for the other guy instead of you.

i hate it when, before you even have a conversation with them, someone randomly declares war on you.

i hate it when the AI just won't give up. come on, dude, i'm tired of fighting you, i've taken over all the bases i wanted, your troops suck, you're down to only a few bases and you're gonna lose anyway. just surrender!!!

i hate it when someone tries to get you to become their pact sister just so you can go fight their enemy. like i'm risking my troops to help YOU.

i hate it when you and your pact buddy are both fighting yang, then yang calls to try and get you to switch sides. hello. you're my mortal enemy, we've been at it for years and years, and you want me to stab my best friend in the back. sounds great!

LOL, this game rules. actually, the above are all things i LIKE about the game because they make it more interesting, fun and challenging.

oh, and HOW funny is it when one of the aliens accuses you of deception by saying "human idiom: liar liar pants on fire"???

Old October 8, 2001, 12:16   #15
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

haha the aliens are funny guys. when roze asks for a treaty the "no" response is "treaty: for friends. chic: irrelevent. answer: no"

or 500 energy for industrial base "price: rediculous!"

not that i ever play the aliens. this is a custom faction from the netnode
Old October 8, 2001, 15:20   #16
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 17:17
I have a two-meter radius around myself when playing, and that area has to be clear of any fragile objects at all time.

Especially I hate when Miriam or her chums come with an Impact Foil near my flourishing continent and start crapping out my terrain improvements. And I of course have no navy at all

Or when Yang gets MMI. Sheesh, those choppers are all over the place, and you need dozens of Interceptors.

Or when Santiago gets Hovertanks, fits them with Shard and blaims that your most peaceful Knowledge- SE choice is a "secret weapons program".

I like to play SMAX with no Miriam, Santiago, Miriam, and Yang. Much more gentle, for the nerves.
Old October 8, 2001, 15:25   #17
Cybergod
Prince

whoops! Double Post
Old October 8, 2001, 15:25   #18
Cybergod
Prince

Quote:
I hate...
I think Kalis' song "I Hate You So Much Right Now" would do nicely in this thread
Old October 8, 2001, 16:20   #19
Method
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by kassiopeia
I like to play SMAX with no Miriam, Santiago, Miriam, and Yang. Much more gentle, for the nerves.
i usually play with 2 "aggressive" factions (except miriam and aliens ) and 4 erratic or pacifist factions. seems to work well. enough of the "peaceful researching" factions to take tech from but not too much of the santiago/fungboy/yang for an overwhelmingly violent game.

another thing i hate is when aki my pactmate tells me that i cant have her tech unless i pay her 1500 EC's for it. i have perfectly good tech to trade for it too. adaptive doctrine for superstring theory? oh no but you can have AD for 800 EC's.
i hate it when my pactmate demands that i "honor our alliance" and declare war on fungboy, and then bails out a year later leaving me to fight the pink pansies.
Old October 8, 2001, 18:50   #20
Fitz
King

Local Time: 06:17
I have three lists, the instant kill list, the delayed kill list, and the don't piss me off list.

The instant kill list (If you meet them, kill them, no questions asked, no treaties.):
Miriam
Lal
Svensgard
Roze
Marr of the Usurpers

The delayed kill list (as soon as they break their first treaty, annihilate them. Never trust them and don't let down your guard):
Hmminee of the Caretakers
Yang
Fungboy of the Cult
Santiago
Domai

The don't piss me off list (once they break a treaty, beat on them until they ask for a truce unless they did something despicable):
All the others.
Old October 10, 2001, 05:31   #21
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Perhaps every leader should have a theme song, like in the WWF, something that reflects their personality. Hmm... How about Pink's "You Make Me Sick" for the Peacekeepers?

Something by Korn or Rammstein for Judaa Marr?

"The Battle Hymn of the Republic" for Colonel Santiago?

Christian rap (yes, there is such a thing) for the Believers?
Old October 10, 2001, 10:28   #22
Bella Hella
Prince

theme songs for factions....
LMAO! yes, that would rock.

marr: "du hasst" by rammstein (i think the translation is "you hate me")
dierdre: something by enya
miriam: i like the christian rap idea. maybe some P.O.D.?
aki-zeta: would have to be techno probably
zak: mozart or bach
svensgaard: i'm picturing the allman brothers for some reason (ramblin' man)
morgan: notorious B.I.G. - "mo money, mo problems", or "material girl" by madonna
cha: "cult of personality" by living color, of course!
santiago: "survivor" by destiny's child (ok, now it's just getting silly) or something loud, fast and violent, preferably by slipknot
domai: "take this job and shove it"
lal: something by john lennon
hive: ??
data angels: ??
caretakers: ??
Old October 10, 2001, 14:14   #23
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 17:17
Re: theme songs for factions....
Quote:
Originally posted by Bella Hella
dierdre: something by enya
A perfect selection. Enya is so.... Deirdre. And Deirdre is so... Enya. They even have similar ethnical backgrounds. Orinoco Flow would be the most appropriate one, it's in English

Quote:
miriam: i like the christian rap idea. maybe some P.O.D.?aki-zeta: would have to be techno probably
zak: mozart or bach
svensgaard: i'm picturing the allman brothers for some reason (ramblin' man)
Sounds nice

Quote:
morgan: notorious B.I.G. - "mo money, mo problems", or "material girl" by madonna
I can't name the piece, but how about the one with some fella singing about money, and sounds of coins in the background? Name it please! It would be perfect.

Quote:
cha: "cult of personality" by living color, of course!
santiago: "survivor" by destiny's child (ok, now it's just getting silly) or something loud, fast and violent, preferably by slipknot
domai: "take this job and shove it"
for the last one

[QUOTE}
lal: something by john lennon
[/QUOTE]

Imagine, definitely.
Old October 10, 2001, 14:47   #24
Avenoct
Prince

No no!!! Don't make me listen to Enya!!!

Over the horizon you glimpse, no, hear, the horrible screeching of what must be a feral lion with a kidney stone....unable to turn away from the sheer horrer, the aural angst of the moment compels you upward to see just what could possibly be dying so unnaturally in the next valley...

As you climb over the crest of the hill you pick up a second, quieter, but no less horrific mastication of sound waves....it almost sounds like the collective farting of 1000 snowmonkeys, but still, you are propelled forward on the same impetus that compels people to laugh at potty jokes and smell their own armpits.....

Suddenly, an impact rover appears on the opposite ridge...a man steps out and points upward while obviously trying to communicate with his radio. His companion, a fluffy coat-clad missionary obviously from the Believing outpost nearby, shuffles forward with one hand over her left ear, and her head firmly clamped to her shoulder to protect the other ear. She is carrying what appears to be a homing/tracking beacon....

As the rover speeds quickly away you begin to wonder why they placed a beacon on this particular hillside. You are about to turn away...run..away yourself....when you spot the nexus of infernal vibrations on the valley floor! There are three creatures down there...one, with flowing hair like a savage appears to be hurting a violin badly...its...its...its....YANI!!! Oh no! But wait, there's another humanoid...its...its....its ENYA!!! No, this cannot be! but what is that third creature? It's a reddish puppet bashing drums with powerful Un-rythm...could it be Animal? Wow, three demons escaping to one spot...and they are having a sing-off! Now the presence of the Believing rover is making sense...for there must only be a metaphysical explanation for such a breach of hell....

You aren't given much time to ponder as a low rumble and a thunderclap break through even the eardrum-breaking confluence below and you realize.....BOOOOOOM! A Huge ball of fire drifts slowly, almost peacefully up from the valley floor, and there is silence....it appears those quasi-nuclear tactical PB's have their place after all....

-S-
Old October 10, 2001, 15:32   #25
Panzer
Warlord

Svensgaard = In the Navy (Village People)
Old October 10, 2001, 15:50   #26
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 08:17
take the game personally ?

In SP -- Of course-- I curse Miriam or the treachery of LAL or whatever. I hold a grudge and enjoy playing with the personalities

IN MP-- yes and no

Yes in that my faction will always hold a grudge against a treacherous faction in that game ( I like to role-play a bit)BUT

NO in that I never take anyting personally with the human directing the faction. To me every game should be a clean slate. Its like playing hockey-- two guys may bump agressively in front of the net ( even go so far as to knock each other down) but its all forgotten long before the first post-game beer is on its way down.
Old October 10, 2001, 17:45   #27
Transcend
Prince

Local Time: 07:17
Deirdre is one jealous whore: whenever you have more power than her, she starts to turn against you regardless how green you have been.

When dealing with Yang: no questions asked, pound him so long until he surrenders or ends up in your Punishment Sphere.

Morgan and Lal are both treacherous and backstabbing bastards, using probe teams against you all the time. Fortunately, they surrender rather easily.

Miriam is the number 1 ***** in the game, littering the planet with her worthless bases and annoying 4-1-1 Impact Infantry.

Santiago is only marginally better than Miriam because she's more susceptable to mind probes. Sometimes it's really neat to pay 100EC for her elite infantry units.

In SMAC, Zakharov is the only trustworthy faction as long as you keep the Knowledge social value. You actually can get free techs from him every couple turns.
Old October 10, 2001, 19:53   #28
civcop
Chieftain

Ha!
With only 3 games tinkered with and my 4th game being the one I'm playing now (and will take to completion), I already am annoyed by all of them. I don't have the expansion so I only have the original factions to deal with. I've already learned to groan out loud when Miriam shows up (drunk on power). I've been playing as the Hive so I don't know what it's like to deal with Yang. As for the others, they all bother me. Cry and moan, beg and steal. They all want money, tech or something else. What a bunch of selfish jerks. I just wiped out the UN, which is something I've wanted to do for years! Take that you Ghandi clone!
Old October 10, 2001, 21:51   #29
Deimos
Prince

Re: Re: theme songs for factions....
Quote:
Originally posted by kassiopeia
I can't name the piece, but how about the one with some fella singing about money, and sounds of coins in the background? Name it please! It would be perfect.
That would be Money by Pink Floyd. And you're correct: It would be perfect for Morgan.
Old October 11, 2001, 06:20   #30
Mr. President
Emperor

Re: theme songs for factions....
Quote:
Originally posted by Bella Hella
hive: ??
data angels: ??
caretakers: ??
For Roze I could imagine Fatboy Slim. Something seems to connect the two of them for me, the order out of chaos or chaos out of order or whatever.

Lal might have a 60s protest kind of song ("How many roads must a man walk down," &c.)

The Hive is a tough faction to match a song to. Maybe the Anvil Chorus?

On a less serious note, how about Garbage's "When I Grow Up" for Cha Dawn?

Caretakers are like Gaians on steroids with big guns. Maybe something super-annoying, like Enya featuring Yanni? Seriously though. Vivaldi's Autumn, or a resonant variation thereof?

How about "Take It Easy" (The Eagles) for Svensgaard? ("Well I'm a runnin' down the road tryin' to loosen my load/Got a world of trouble on my mind/Looking for a lover who won't blow my cover/She's so hard to find.") Anything free and flowing, like "Meet Me In Montana" (Dan Seals and Marie Osmond) or "Smokey Mountain Rain" (Ronnie Milsap) would do it, though.

Avenoct, have you ever considered joining in the Fiction Forum?