Old July 5, 2000, 18:16   #1
poppawoppa
Warlord

Local Time: 14:40
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Mac versus PC games
I was interested in any information about the difference between the play on a MacIntosh and on a PC. It seems that when I go to my son-in-laws house and play a game on his Mac, it doesn't compare to the games I've been able to play on the PC. We both have Civ II, mine is Gold edition and I dont know what his might be. Is there anyone who knows what if any differences there are, and how it affects play? Thanks for any help.
Old July 5, 2000, 18:32   #2
finbar
Civilization II MultiplayerMac
Emperor

Local Time: 00:40
Local Date: October 31, 2010
In my experience, there's no difference between the same games in the different formats. And now, with both sets of patches installed, they're 100% compatible.

In terms of other games, there are still a lot more available for PCs than Macs, but the gap is gradually lessening.

------------------
finbar
Mono Rules!
Old July 5, 2000, 20:42   #3
Smash
Emperor

I've seen this thread before

Hey Fin,didn't we just find some oddities concerning barbarian activity?
Old July 5, 2000, 20:57   #4
finbar
Civilization II MultiplayerMac
Emperor

Local Time: 00:40
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Well, yes, but there's nothing to say they're caused by different systems/versions. One of the SGs (from memory) said he hadn't come across barb chariots. I know a heap of PC players who have struck barb chariots. I think the real differences are - or have been - in the area of stability, with those very boring software crashes. And we know who to thank for those! I still get them occasionally. In fact, the other week, twice within about 20 minutes, I went to one of the menus and everything crashed back to the desktop.

------------------
finbar
Mono Rules!
Old July 5, 2000, 21:08   #5
MacUser
Prince

Local Time: 16:40
While Finbar's comments certainly hold true for MP (Multiplayer), Smash has commented numerous times that the Single Player mode on MPG (Multiplayer Gold Ed.) has a much more aggressive AI than either the original Civ II for Mac or the current PC Civ II with add-ons like Fantastic Worlds (FW). In Smash's opinion, the aggressive AI has made some single player scenarios "unplayable" using Mac MPG, thus he bought the PC Civ II with FW version for scenario play. It is my understanding that the PC MPG Ed has a less aggressive AI than the Mac MPG, as well. (Smash, if I have misrepresented your opinion please excuse and correct me!) From my perspective, Mac MPG in SP does seem harder than SP with the original Civ II for Mac. Well, I guess that was a better (straighter) answer than my comment in the Mac Forum! I'd better stop before I make a PC faux pas...

------------------
Different is GOOD!

AOL IM--JacSamDad
[This message has been edited by MacUser (edited July 05, 2000).]
Old July 5, 2000, 21:11   #6
MacUser
Prince

Local Time: 16:40
Damn I'm SLOW! I need to quit using big words that require me to use a dictionary!!
Old July 6, 2000, 00:31   #7
Smash
Emperor

Thats pretty much right but I think it was "makes most scenarios unplayable.At least as the creator intended"