Old October 9, 2001, 08:32   #1
Atahualpa
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Latin Lovers
Emperor

Local Time: 15:23
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Great news from Gamestar about foreign language versions (Firaxis please confirm)
This is the url to the news item (german):
http://www.gamestar.de/aktuell/news/news5422.html

For non-native-german-speaking people here the translation:
Quote:
Firaxis and Infogrames have officially confirmed that Sid Meiers Strategyepos Civilization 3 has gone Gold and will be shipped in the US by October 30th. A version with a german manual will be available by November 17th. The completely translated version of the game however will be available presumably by next year.
Now that means: the version to be sold in Germany and Austria by November 17th ONLY has a german manual whereas the in-game texts and audio files are still in english!!!

If that would be true it would be AWESOME news!!!!
Even though of course I would have preffered an english manual too. But well I dont read them anyway

The downside is that Gamestar is known for its wrong news and that they are the crappiest and yet most selling PC Gaming Magazine in Europe.
So please could anyone from Firaxis confirm this news item?

Sincerely,
ata
Old October 9, 2001, 09:08   #2
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 16:23
man, you better not change anything. i mean, how would 'consequences, schmonsequences!' sound in german?
'ergebnisse, schmergebnisse!'?
Old October 9, 2001, 09:48   #3
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by LaRusso
man, you better not change anything. i mean, how would 'consequences, schmonsequences!' sound in german?
'ergebnisse, schmergebnisse!'?
Oh man that is way out think about how it would sound in danish "konsekvenser, smonsekvenser" Oh that is...total meaningless
Old October 9, 2001, 09:54   #4
LaRusso
King

Quote:
Originally posted by ADG

Oh man that is way out think about how it would sound in danish "konsekvenser, smonsekvenser" Oh that is...total meaningless
danish one sounds better think about hungarian:
kovetkozmeny, schkovetkozmeny (umlauts omitted)
Old October 9, 2001, 09:57   #5
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by LaRusso
danish one sounds better think about hungarian:
kovetkozmeny, schkovetkozmeny (umlauts omitted)
Ouch...I shouldn't even try to pronounce that one
Old October 9, 2001, 11:10   #6
fluffy
Warlord

Local Time: 14:23
what are the chances for a welsh translation?

'consequences, schmonsequences!'

would become

'canlyniau, schmanlyniau!'
Old October 9, 2001, 11:44   #7
Vrank Prins
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by ADG
And as meaningless as it sounds in danish, as meaningless does it sound in anglo. So there's really no difference.
Old October 9, 2001, 11:47   #8
Messer Niccolò
Prince

and which will be the Civ consequences of the different languages?
Maybe the usual schmonsequences?
Old October 9, 2001, 14:15   #9
Roman
King

That would be excellent news.

Otherwise it is: dosledky schmosledky
Old October 9, 2001, 14:34   #10
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Vrank Prins
And as meaningless as it sounds in danish, as meaningless does it sound in anglo. So there's really no difference.
Both yes and no (correct me if I'm wrong here, but anglo is that english or...?), in danish the meaningless isn't funny, the meaninglessness in anglo is funny in some way...
Old October 9, 2001, 14:55   #11
Oligarf
Warlord

Translations are 9 out of 10 crap
When I started gaming all games where in English. And I am quite sure that a lot of my knowledge of the English language comes from my computergames. Recently some games that were made in English have only a Dutch version in the stores. Black & White as an example. But man, it's horrible, I want the English version. I don't know how this is in other countries but I don't want a Dutch version. 'Firaxis or Infogrames heard that?!'
Old October 10, 2001, 06:52   #12
Vrank Prins
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by ADG
correct me if I'm wrong here, but anglo is that english or
I prefer to use the word Anglo above english, because the language I usually encounter here (and in movies televisionprogramms etc.) is, well how shall I put it, not exactly the english I know from watching BBC, reading an english newspaper (I frequently read the Guardian and the Independent in the library at my job), or being on a holiday in Britain.

There are lots of yanks around here on this site, and canacs, and aussies, and kiwis (?!). Also, the anglo being used here by nonnative anglo-users is moreoften more american-coloured than english-colored.

Anglo, as I see it, is a broader term than english. It also includes american (+canadian, though canacs never like to admit that), australian, nieuw-zeelands and zuid-afrikaans (new-zealands and south-african, which originally as countries were given their names in dutch). These tongues are all just slightly different from english in speech and more and more in the expressions being used and writing, especially american.
Old October 10, 2001, 12:51   #13
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:

I prefer to use the word Anglo above english, because the language I usually encounter here (and in movies televisionprogramms etc.) is, well how shall I put it, not exactly the english I know from watching BBC, reading an english newspaper (I frequently read the Guardian and the Independent in the library at my job), or being on a holiday in Britain.

There are lots of yanks around here on this site, and canacs, and aussies, and kiwis (?!). Also, the anglo being used here by nonnative anglo-users is moreoften more american-coloured than english-colored.

Anglo, as I see it, is a broader term than english. It also includes american (+canadian, though canacs never like to admit that), australian, nieuw-zeelands and zuid-afrikaans (new-zealands and south-african, which originally as countries were given their names in dutch). These tongues are all just slightly different from english in speech and more and more in the expressions being used and writing, especially american.
ah, thx for telling me, I didn't know that...but now I do
Old October 10, 2001, 14:28   #14
Oligarf
Warlord

Quote:

Zuid-Afrikaans help me, wasn't that some kind of mixture between English and Dutch? Could you still call that Anglo?
Old October 10, 2001, 14:48   #15
Earthling7
Mac
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Oligarf
Zuid-Afrikaans help me, wasn't that some kind of mixture between English and Dutch? Could you still call that Anglo?
I thought that was just misspelled Dutch, as the forefathers would have spoken...
Old October 11, 2001, 04:11   #16
Vrank Prins
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Oligarf
Then you're talking about Afrikaans the languages of the boers (dutch word for farmers). It derives from dutch, it has also a little german influence from german settlers in South-Africa. But is certainly not a mixture from dutch and english.
The icelandic equivalent for farm is b(j?)aer as I got it. I don't know what that would be in danish. The english word farm comes from the french word ferme.
Old October 11, 2001, 06:40   #17
JellyDonut
Prince

I am still going to get the English version. Not only can I get it earlier, and probably cheaper too, but most of the translations in translated games are Scheiße, Schmeiße!

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!
Old October 11, 2001, 07:03   #18
campmajor!
Prince

Quote:
Well, these "languages" are reffered to as British English / American English. So the term English is IMHO better.
Old October 11, 2001, 07:13   #19
star mouse
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 01:23
Local Date: November 1, 2010
"Consequences, shmonsequences, as long as I'm rich!" - Daffy Duck
Old October 11, 2001, 10:54   #20
Atahualpa
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Latin Lovers
Emperor

whats all that consequences stuff about?

All I see is a lot of THREADJACKERS

Now for the confirmation: FIRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAXXXXIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIS!!!!!!!

ata
Old October 11, 2001, 11:06   #21
Vrank Prins
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by campmajor!
Well, these "languages" are reffered to as British English / American English. So the term English is IMHO better.
I'm "threadjacking" a bit more.

Here’s another reason for using the word anglo instead of english.

I’m not english, but to communicate here I’m using the language which has been spread all over the world by the english and americans. Their language has become a linqua franca and for me an important means to communicate.
Somehow over the years this language has become part of my own idiom, register. Visiting this forum here, for over a year now, I’m using it almost on a daily base . Does that make the language I’m using “Dutch-english” ?!, or if I would be a danish anglo-user “Dano-english”, or Germano-english etc..
My language is not really english, nor is it anglo-american or canac- or aussie-anglo, it is a mixture of all that and a bit of myself too. Therefore it has become more than/something different than solely, pure english. Since it has become my own language I’m not going to say I’m using “english”. To me it’s no longer english it has become "anglo". I don’t consider this language to be solely theirs (from the english, americans etc.) anymore. English is just another (o.k. one of the most powerful and for me most inspiring, but still a) manisfestation of this language, linqua vranca to me.

I think it will take sometime for the english and americans (and etc.) to realize that their language is no longer their own PROPERTY to which they have all the rights.

Here’s a comment I wrote months ago (and which I was willing to post but uptill now have never actually posted) after having read the umpteenth excuse by a nonnative anglo-user for the mistakes he was making:

““ Be proud of the fact that you’ve become bilingual by being an active anglo-user. (somehow I guess my anglo is rather english, but I’ve read anglo here by native anglo-users which was rather flawed english)
Allthough I'm not very strong about this because it’s pretty handy to have somekind of international lingua-franca, I sometimes think it’s the native anglo-users who have to apologize. They somehow seem to take it for granted that it’s us nonnative anglo-users who just have to come about and adapt. Sometimes I wished I had to use swahili here, to have an equal disadvantage with the native anglo-users.
Besides, and take this to your heart, it’s you who will be linguistical enriched by being bilingual, that’s something the native anglo-users miss and will never get. You may learn from it about your own native language too (well at least that’s what I do as a native dutch- and (!) frisian*-user (*the langauge closest of all germanic languages to english)).
Feel free to use anglo in what ever way to express yourself, for it has become your own language and is no longer solely theirs (i.e. the native anglo-users). Even by making mistakes !!!because that’s what they (t.n.a-u.) do too . ””

IK ZOU HET VERDOMDE LEKKER VINDEN AlS ER GEWOON EEN GOEDE NEDERLANDSTALIGE VERSIE VAN CIV ZOU KOMEN.
IS ER IETS MIS MET NEDERLANDS ??

Last edited by Vrank Prins; October 11, 2001 at 11:19.
Old October 11, 2001, 11:20   #22
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Well, whatever...
The chanses for a norwegian version is like zero, anyway..

But, fortunately we learn good english in the norwegian school!
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old October 13, 2001, 12:48   #23
Oligarf
Warlord

Quote:
IK ZOU HET VERDOMDE LEKKER VINDEN AlS ER GEWOON EEN GOEDE NEDERLANDSTALIGE VERSIE VAN CIV ZOU KOMEN.
IS ER IETS MIS MET NEDERLANDS ??
Ik ook, maar dan moet de sfeer wel goed zijn, en ik wil dan ook goed lopende nederlandse tekst, ik wil niet zien dat het ooit engels was.