Old October 10, 2001, 07:47   #1
Henk_Glimlach
Settler

Local Time: 15:25
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Does anyone know what maps there will be in Civ?
What maps will there be in Civ3. Will there be earth and then i meanHuge World: 180x180 16 Civs , and will europe be in there.

Last edited by Henk_Glimlach; October 10, 2001 at 07:59.
Old October 10, 2001, 08:03   #2
dainbramaged13
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
King

Local Time: 10:25
well, we know 12 scenarios are in the game, so i assume they have maps, Im sure the world is included (heck, ONE of 'ems gotta be the whole world ), and Europe (for ww2) but we dont know about others.
Old October 10, 2001, 08:05   #3
Henk_Glimlach
Settler

thx
Old October 10, 2001, 12:50   #4
El hidalgo
Warlord

Local Time: 08:25
Hmm, when I first read the latest civ3.com Ask the Civ Team, I thought the reply about map sizes referred to earth maps:

Quote:
The default world sizes in Civilization III are as follows:

Tiny World: 60x60 4 Civs
Small World: 80x80 6 Civs
Standard World: 100x100 8 Civs
Large World: 140x140 12 Civs
Huge World: 180x180 16 Civs

You can use the included editor to alter these world sizes, with the ability to create maps up to 256 x 256 in size.
Now I realize world map != earth map. Darn. I have no doubt there will be at least one earth map -- it's a civ tradition. I still believe they will have maps in all the (five) standard map sizes in Civ 3 -- based on the fact that that's how it was in Civ 2 (though there were only 3 standard sizes). I would bet on there being a Euro map and a Mediterranean map as well, for at least a few of the included scenarios.
Old October 10, 2001, 13:35   #5
Steve Clark
King

The more important question is...

How many maps will there be available within 30 days after release? Nearly all of the non-random maps that I play in on Civ2 are the ones that I downloaded from Apolyton. What difference does it make which ones Firaxis included, esp when there will be many, many more available soon after the release?
Old October 10, 2001, 14:18   #6
The Andy-Man
Prince

Local Time: 14:25
the more important question is:

woll the world map (the biggest) be big enough to have a proper europe? Like, the real world has been dominated by european nations, and they can have wopping production rates etc, but in civ2 you could do **** if you started as the english.
Old October 10, 2001, 16:22   #7
Tventano
Warlord

In CivI starting as the english on the world map was much more a challenge. In CivII the challenge was less, because Britain was larger.
Old October 10, 2001, 16:27   #8
Steve Clark
King

It all depends upon what world map you were playing on. Did you know that there are many versions of the world map, some using other projections as the basis?
Old October 10, 2001, 16:31   #9
Akron
Prince

Local Time: 09:25
The problem with world maps is that places near the equator are shrunk while places near the poles are enlarged.
Old October 10, 2001, 16:43   #10
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

I will probably make a British Isles map, as I did for CtP2. Unless one is shipped with the game
Old October 10, 2001, 16:53   #11
Dida
Prince

Britian is a sick cat nowadays, it's as weak as any 3rd world nation.

Artistic and hand-made ceramics found only at www.forgiftable.com.
Old October 10, 2001, 17:02   #12
CapTVK
Civilization II MultiplayerPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
King

Maps, schmaps the real question we should be asking ourselves is: "How good is the map editor?"
Old October 10, 2001, 18:07   #13
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Dida
Old October 10, 2001, 18:31   #14
Felch
Civilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Just shooting to get a rise out of you.
Old October 10, 2001, 18:37   #15
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
Try invading. You'd probably fail drastically. Not bad for a 'weak 3rd world nation'. Sometimes some of you Americans are so f**king arrogant that it is incredibly annoying. And you seem baffled as to why other nations dislike you

Anyway, back to the original question. I would expect there would be the standard array of world maps (differing sizes), perhaps some maps of certain areas of the world, I would expect the mediterranean as was the case in civ2, but who knows...we will have to wait and see. But the world maps will almost certainly be in there...

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old October 10, 2001, 18:50   #16
red_jon
NationStates
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Provost Harrison

Try invading. You'd probably fail drastically. Not bad for a 'weak 3rd world nation'. Sometimes some of you Americans are so f**king arrogant that it is incredibly annoying. And you seem baffled as to why other nations dislike you
If the yanks invaded can you imagine the resistance? We INVENTED striking, you know
They'd control a useless population as those who didn't fight them simply wouldn't work.

I say we have a European map and a UK map.
Old October 10, 2001, 18:58   #17
jdd2007
NationStates
King

Quote:
quote:quote:

Anyway, back to the original question. I would expect there would be the standard array of world maps (differing sizes), perhaps some maps of certain areas of the world, I would expect the mediterranean as was the case in civ2, but who knows...we will have to wait and see. But the world maps will almost certainly be in there...
provost, u r overeacting a little. i agree that some americans r too cocky and arrogant, but europeans tend to stereotype americans as arrogant tourists. i would say that a tiny percentage of americans would fit this description.

personally, i thought Didas comment was funny. it was obviously no where near true. i thought of it as a caricature, whether it was meant as one or not.

anyway, there is deep anti-americanism in many countries. i have experienced it first hand in scotland, england and especially france. right now u r thinking about your quote,

Quote:
And you seem baffled as to why other nations dislike you
what u dont know is that i KNOW why countries dislike us. they dislike us because of our GOVERMENTS arrogance, our tourists arrogance and our way too conservative people...
Old October 10, 2001, 19:03   #18
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Now I agree, the majority of you are the most loveliest people I have ever met, but people who spout this crap are extraordinarily irritating, thinking they are always right. No personal offense, but when someone spouts this crap, they should expect an appropriate scalding chastisement...no offense to other people intended...

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old October 10, 2001, 19:05   #19
GodSpawn
Prince

Anyway, we've got NUKES!
Old October 10, 2001, 19:06   #20
red_jon
NationStates
King

Quote:
Originally posted by GodSpawn
Anyway, we've got NUKES!
Not when you de-evolve, they belong to England
Old October 10, 2001, 20:26   #21
JellyDonut
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by The Andy-Man
the more important question is:

woll the world map (the biggest) be big enough to have a proper europe? Like, the real world has been dominated by european nations, and they can have wopping production rates etc, but in civ2 you could do **** if you started as the english.
For this reason, I hope the earth map is based on the Mercator projection, where areas near the poles are enlargened (there's an article on the Onion's web site that says "Greenland thinks it looks fat in Mercator projection" ). This would make the more populated Europe larger than, say, Africa which currently has two civs (on opposite ends of the continent too) or South America, which has zero civs in it.

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!
Old October 10, 2001, 20:54   #22
Moral Hazard
King

From the FAQ

The game *will* ship with scenarios... we'll have more specifics closer to release.

I haven't seen the number 12 before where did you see that Dain? Plus I wonder if this info is still accurate.
Old October 11, 2001, 00:49   #23
TVA22
Chieftain

I agree
The european problem referred to is not only experienced with civs there, nor is it a factor of the maps.

It's a factor of the civilization game engine which makes LARGER CIVS ALWAYS BETTER.

As one of my fav civs to play as is the Japanese, I feel for all you out there who like to play the british. I play the Germans quite often too, and they experience the same problem. It sucks so much that to compete in a civ game, you have to leave your home area so early in the game, whereas in real life, these nations were world powers, while still didn't begin expanding until the late indusrial age, earlier by a few centuries for Britian.

Sorry if I seem like a pessimist, but it just doesn't seem feasable to me that the game will favor smaller civs at least fairly with larger ones...you know, give smaller, more compact civs a fighting chance against the larger, sprawling, undeveloped ICS powered ones. (I just don't buy it that the settler thing-2pop points-will solve our problems)

So we will probably have another game where on the real world map the persians or zulus (no offence to anyone who plays them) are the 1st line powers every game, simply because of their room to expand, and Europeans must either take over all of Europe early in the game, eliminating any interesting European wars parallel to real life. Likewise, as the Japanese, I will always have to move away from Japan well within the BC portion of the game, and never be able to be self sufficient (and still competative) on my own territory. . . (sighs)
Old October 11, 2001, 02:13   #24
El hidalgo
Warlord

Well, there are small civs in terms of land area (English, Japanese), and then there are small civs in terms of population (Mongols). So the small land area issue should not be such a problem if Civ can correctly model the effects of trade and increasing agricultural productivity. Japan can support a lot of people even in a small area with very little in the way of natural resources, because of trade. Can you import food in Civ 3, though (on a larger scale than in Civ 2)? That will be the test.

Also, you can get more and more food from less and less land as time goes on, due to increases in productivity and new techs, such as bioengineering. For example, 98% of ancient Egyptians were farmers, whereas only 2% of Americans are today -- and that's supporting a much larger population. Are these effects modeled in Civ 3? You should be able to support a powerful civ with a large population, as the Japanese and English do, in a relatively small area as long as, like these civs in real life, you pursue the right policies (more or less).