Old October 10, 2001, 08:12   #1
LarryLard
Chieftain

Local Time: 14:26
Local Date: October 31, 2010
No caravans - how to rush wonders?
This has almost certainly been talked about before but I did a search and couldn't find an answer so...

Given that trading is now done through the magic trade screen, and there are no more caravan/freight units (right?), is it going to be possible to store production for later use on a Wonder in some other way?

I always find myself overproducing at times, and I know that by stockpiling caravans that that production is not wasted... also having a few caravans to hand means I can rush-finish a Wonder if I get the 'X is about to finish United Nations', or whatever. Is there going to be a mechanism for this?
Old October 10, 2001, 08:17   #2
Jason Beaudoin
Prince

Local Time: 09:26
I think that can be done by great leaders. I'm not sure about it since details about what great leaders can do has been very scarce. I was wondering more about them myself.
Old October 10, 2001, 08:20   #3
Grim Legacy
Prince

Local Time: 15:26
Cold hard cash?
Old October 10, 2001, 08:20   #4
aaglo
King

Local Time: 17:26
As far as I know: There will be a feature called great leaders (there are threads about these, but some info can be found at www.civ3.com ). These leaders can be sacrificed (in another words : killed ) to rush-build things in cities. These leaders are thus lost.

Related question: Am I right? The main purpose of leaders is to create armies?
Old October 10, 2001, 08:25   #5
Grim Legacy
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by aaglo
As far as I know: There will be a feature called great leaders (there are threads about these, but some info can be found at www.civ3.com ). These leaders can be sacrificed (in another words : killed ) to rush-build things in cities. These leaders are thus lost.

I must say the idea of having a great leader rush a wonder comes accross as quite silly. So now suddenly the great general knows how to magically construct a magnificient building, and demands that when it is done he can enjoy an early retirement... or how should one imagine this process?
Old October 10, 2001, 08:45   #6
aaglo
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Grim Legacy
I must say the idea of having a great leader rush a wonder comes accross as quite silly....
Yes, it's weird. I think that this feature is in only, because they (fire-axis) want to make the rush-building things more costly than it was in previous games.

Like in SMAC - you could rush-build Secret Projects (read: wonders) in two ways: by using the supply convoys (like caravans in original civ) and with alien artifacts (could be found in the planet; much like leaders). There was also another use for alien artifacts, but i won't tell about it here, 'cos it's not relevant.
Old October 10, 2001, 08:51   #7
Grim Legacy
Prince

Quote:

Yes, it's weird. I think that this feature is in only, because they (fire-axis) want to make the rush-building things more costly than it was in previous games.

Like in SMAC - you could rush-build Secret Projects (read: wonders) in two ways: by using the supply convoys (like caravans in original civ) and with alien artifacts (could be found in the planet; much like leaders). There was also another use for alien artifacts, but i won't tell about it here, 'cos it's not relevant.
Yeah a gameplay thingie. The other thing was completing a technological advance. :P
Old October 10, 2001, 09:00   #8
Kurgan
Chieftain

Great leaders are not only great because their military abilities, most of the leaders that were good at war was because they were good organizers, and they managed their resources in the best possible way. So I think Julius Caesar could have devoted his geniality in organizing the construction of a wonder.
Old October 10, 2001, 09:12   #9
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

I thought that you needed great leaders in order to be able to construct certain wonders? Well we will have to wait and see...

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old October 10, 2001, 09:16   #10
Ozymandous
Prince

Exactly!
For the most part the "ancient leaders" were the people who had the most education or knew how to organize and deploy large groups of people effectively. How do you think Alexander managed his armies across so much terrain, including resupplying and out-fitting them, etc?

Ceasar, Napolean, etc? Most of the truly great leaders of their time WERE the highest educated and thus had the skills to organize all aspects of a large army, empire, etc to get what they wanted done.

If you look at history (and know a little about it) you'll see this isn't tht far off the mark at all.
Old October 10, 2001, 09:31   #11
Father Beast
King

Local Time: 07:26
Great leaders can be used to build an army, rush a project, and there was something else I can't remember.

So great leaders will be neccessary to rush projects for an OCC game. I wonder if you can stockpile them to build shakespeare, Ribannah, and Paul's on successive turns...

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn
Old October 10, 2001, 09:35   #12
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Well that just seems to suggest that they allow you the capacity to rush them, ie, if you have great leaders, you can rush buy the project. But who knows, looks like we will have to wait until the game is available...

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old October 10, 2001, 09:40   #13
Grumbold
Emperor

The difficulty is that great leaders will (apparently) only arise from elite units who are repeatedly successful in battle. So you won't get any great non-military leaders appearing. This reinforces my suspicion that leader farming is going to become one of the key strategies in Civ 3, either by using an elite unit to defeat anything that emerges from a conveniently located barbarian hut, by keeping once city of a defeated opponent alive to use as a whipping boy or another method.
Old October 10, 2001, 09:42   #14
aaglo
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Father Beast
...I wonder if you can stockpile them to build shakespeare, Ribannah, and Paul's on successive turns...
Ribannah....? What is that (in addition to that she's a member of Apolyton)?
Old October 10, 2001, 11:59   #15
HalfLotus
Never Ending Stories
King

Local Time: 10:26
Quote:
Great leaders can be used to build an army, rush a project, and there was something else I can't remember.

So great leaders will be neccessary to rush projects for an OCC game. I wonder if you can stockpile them to build shakespeare, Ribannah, and Paul's on successive turns...
Father, I think Great Leaders can be added to armies to improve their effectiveness in combat.
Old October 10, 2001, 12:02   #16
Ozymandous
Prince

Quote:

Last thing is they can found an academy so that you won't need a great leader to make armies.
Old October 10, 2001, 12:25   #17
Stuie
King

Quote:

Like in SMAC - you could rush-build Secret Projects (read: wonders) in two ways: by using the supply convoys (like caravans in original civ) and with alien artifacts
You forgot my favorite rush-build method: keep building a wonder that's already been built, and then switch to a new wonder when it becomes available.

Personally, I don't think switching from one wonder to another (or one building to another or one unit to another) should be allowed at all. You should have to start over from scratch.

As for the Great Leader allowing a rush build, this makes perfect sense. The Great Leader is applying his/her talents and leadership to completion of the wonder. What's silly about this?
Old October 10, 2001, 12:28   #18
Stuie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Grumbold
This reinforces my suspicion that leader farming is going to become one of the key strategies in Civ 3....
From what I've seen, I believe there is a limit to the number of great leaders that can be generated for a Civ. And it's probably a very limited number considering how powerful they are.
Old October 10, 2001, 12:35   #19
Grumbold
Emperor

That is possible, but even so it will be advantageous to 'farm' your maximum number as early as possible, have elite units poised to create another one at the sudden loss/wonder expenditure of an existing one etc. The actual mechanics of the process will certainly depend on how the game implements them.
Old October 10, 2001, 12:50   #20
Stuie
King

Quote:
That is possible, but even so it will be advantageous to 'farm' your maximum number as early as possible, have elite units poised to create another one at the sudden loss/wonder expenditure of an existing one etc. The actual mechanics of the process will certainly depend on how the game implements them.
I wonder if you can have more than one Great Leader at a time... it would be cool if they limited you to one at a time. That would avoid some of the unbalancing effects.

Hmm... hmm! I'm growing weary of the wait-and-see thing. I'm ready to play now.
Old October 10, 2001, 13:31   #21
cassembler
Prince

Local Time: 08:26
Yeah now that I think about it, the peaceful player's not gonna have a whole lot of great leaders... Thus, rush building will become a thing of the past... What good is cash then? One would think if you can't rush build stuff, then the only other use for cash is diplomacy and upkeep...

???

It can't be this *funky* can it?

???
Old October 10, 2001, 13:35   #22
cassembler
Prince

Local Time: 08:26
Quote:
Originally posted by Stuie
As for the Great Leader allowing a rush build, this makes perfect sense. The Great Leader is applying his/her talents and leadership to completion of the wonder. What's silly about this?
There's nothing silly to me- but perhaps I am merely confused- this chump horseman can apply his leadership to rush build, but ME, the GREATEST LEADER OF THEM ALL (according to my population), has no such power... ??? ???

A very simple question: what CAN be rush built WITHOUT a great leader?
Old October 10, 2001, 13:50   #23
GodSpawn
Prince

On the matter of whether a Great Leader is killed when rush-building a Wonder, www.civfanatics.com has this to say:

"Great Leaders may be used to hurry (rush build) a city's construction project - very nice when you're building a wonder.
Each race has a stable of great leaders that are drawn from when you create one. They live until used for either rush building an improvement or building an army."
Old October 10, 2001, 13:54   #24
Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

Quote:
The difficulty is that great leaders will (apparently) only arise from elite units who are repeatedly successful in battle. So you won't get any great non-military leaders appearing. This reinforces my suspicion that leader farming is going to become one of the key strategies in Civ 3, either by using an elite unit to defeat anything that emerges from a conveniently located barbarian hut, by keeping once city of a defeated opponent alive to use as a whipping boy or another method.
It isn't that easy. I don't know what the exact calculations are, but I do know that Great Leaders are only spawned from "great" military victories (hence the name). Trouncing a couple of barbarians with an elite knight isn't going to cut it. In my experience, it's happened *very* infrequently, to the point where having the militaristic ability as one of your civ abilities and/or building the Heroic Epic (Small Wonder) are really important if you want to see Great Leaders appearing.

It's supposed to be something that doesn't happen often, and when it does, you have a tough decision to make. Should you rush a wonder, or build that army? Or, do you hold onto your leader for later? It's certainly not intended to be the kind of thing that happens on a regular basis.

As far as the Civ III rush caravan buy goes, I can see a couple of problems with it in Civ III. First off, we don't have caravans anymore Second, because wonders generate a LOT of culture, rush buying wonders with caravans is basically equivalent to buying culture, which pretty much defeats the purpose of culture and eliminates one of the biggest benefits to wonders. Third, by forcing you to "sacrifice" a great leader to rush a wonder, it makes wonders more valuable to you, and you aren't as likely to just start rush buying every "leftover" wonder that you hasn't been built yet. You're more likely to build only the wonders that mesh with your current goals and play style instead of just jamming every available wonder you can into a city.

Dan
Old October 10, 2001, 14:16   #25
Sandman
King

I heard that Great Leaders could also raise armies (by creating units) from scratch if they're in your cities.

Is this true?
Old October 10, 2001, 14:22   #26
Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

Quote:
Originally posted by Sandman
I heard that Great Leaders could also raise armies (by creating units) from scratch if they're in your cities.

Is this true?
Yes. If a great leader is in a city, you can create an army with the leader, in which case the leader will disappear and an army will appear in its place. You then "load" units into an army just like a transport unit and voila, instant army.

Dan
Old October 10, 2001, 14:28   #27
Crouchback
Warlord

Thanks for the info Dan, looks like we'll be experimenting with the uses/abuses of Great Leaders for a while.

But what about cold hard cash, can we buy culture?

David
Old October 10, 2001, 15:42   #28
Sandman
King

Quote:
Yes. If a great leader is in a city, you can create an army with the leader, in which case the leader will disappear and an army will appear in its place. You then "load" units into an army just like a transport unit and voila, instant army.
I don't quite understand...

What I was trying to ask is:

Can great leaders be exchanged for normal units INSTEAD of an army?

Will I get a reply I wonder? Round here Dan-posts are like gold dust.
Old October 10, 2001, 15:50   #29
cyril25376
Warlord

Local Time: 16:26

Building wonders seems to be a very dangerous job, so keep on fighting
Old October 10, 2001, 15:53   #30
Jason Beaudoin
Prince

What's the advantage of having an army? I know that it pools the hit points, so does that mean that they're just harder to kill?