Old October 10, 2001, 08:27   #1
Jason Beaudoin
Prince

Local Time: 09:26
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Pre-Ordering or Buying off of the Shelf -- Which is Faster?
I'm wondering if anyone in Canada has tried pre-ordering the game. I have access to a Electronics Boutique store, and they usually have the game a couple of days after release, but I'm wondering if I would get the game sooner (maybe even on the release date) if I pre-ordered it.
Old October 10, 2001, 10:00   #2
Lee Johnson
Warlord

The store.
My experience in Toronto is that you are better off waiting for it to hit the store. Pre-ordering might be a win if you're in the States, but I haven't had much luck with it. There are few things as distressing as seeing the package on store shelves and not knowing when your copy is going to show up.

If the game ships out October 30 from EB's distribution centre, it will probably be in Toronto EB stores by November 1 or 2. It might even be here October 31, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Anyway, I'm locked in: I returned Pool of Radiance (shudder) and applied the credit as a deposit toward my Cookie Tin Edition preorder.
Old October 10, 2001, 10:02   #3
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 10:26
I have heard horror stories when it comes to mail pre-orders. I suggest you find the hottest software retailer in your area, and just wait at the front door on the day of release.
Old October 10, 2001, 10:05   #4
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 15:26
Yeah, as all the online retailers in this country are still saying the game is not going to be released until december, I am more inclined to just go into the city centre in the morning and buy it in person, and drive back at 80mph through busy Hull streets to get back home as soon as I can with my little darling

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old October 10, 2001, 10:30   #5
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 16:26
argh. why do i live in this deceivingly metropolitan city. phew
Old October 10, 2001, 11:35   #6
Lee Johnson
Warlord

Quote:
and drive back at 80mph through busy Hull streets
That's, what, normal traffic speed in Hull?
Old October 10, 2001, 14:39   #7
Col Bigspear
Warlord

Local Time: 14:26
Location: Manchester, England. Im 1/2 Polish and proud of it!
1. What is the rumored release date in England?.
2. I'll be in College until December 21st (I think) and it's a 20 minute walk from there to the Trafford Centre (my local EB, HMV and GAME etc..) I just don't feel like going there straight after Chrimbo, It'll be packed. Even when it's not packed I always seem to get stuck behind a slow coach. GET OUT OF MY F*CKING WAY I NEED TO GET TO A GAMES STORE NOW. I only go there to get something or watch a film, most people just wander round aimlessly. MOVE MOVE MOVE
Old October 10, 2001, 14:44   #8
connorkimbro
Emperor

Local Time: 08:26
i've never had to wait when pre-ordering at my closest electronics store, and picking it up there. they always have it ready to go on the day of release.

-theonion.com
Old October 10, 2001, 15:24   #9
Crouchback
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Johnson

That's, what, normal traffic speed in Hull?
It depends on whether the clubs are open or not, if the two universities are in term, and which direction the wind is blowing (it's always blowing in Hull). Lived there for two years and hated it, apart from The Room.

But I don't expect to get my copy from Amazon.co.uk for three days or so after release. Wish I had the time to find a shop.

David

BTW, Col Bigspear, the release date in the UK is the same as the US: 30th October. Confirmed in the gold announcement thread somewhere.

Last edited by Crouchback; October 10, 2001 at 15:58.
Old October 10, 2001, 15:46   #10
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

i ordered Tribes2 Rush delivery online, but FEDEX WENT ON STRIKE, AND IT TOOK 2 WEEKS TO GET HERE.
Old October 10, 2001, 16:07   #11
Lee Johnson
Warlord

Hahaha!
I think the good Provost means Hull, Quebec, not Kingston-upon-Hull, England. But I liked your response anyway.
Old October 10, 2001, 16:11   #12
Crouchback
Warlord

Re: Hahaha!
Quote:
I think the good Provost means Hull, Quebec, not Kingston-upon-Hull, England. But I liked your response anyway.
You mean they have a Hull as well as a Winnipeg, man that country is cursed.

But then so am I if amazon.co.uk stick to 28/12 as the UK release date, which is what they are still saying.

David
Old October 10, 2001, 16:16   #13
dainbramaged13
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
King

Local Time: 10:26
doesnt provost live in england
Old October 10, 2001, 18:23   #14
Whitestar718
Settler

Local Time: 07:26
Pre-Ordering
Pre-Ordering, IMHO, is a sham. Publishers LOVE pre-orders because they can (and have to) charge you full price, so as not to damage their pricing relationships with their distributors.

They can and will promise you the moon about getting the product "before everyone else on your block". Don't believe it. From what I have seen on message boards for other games, people who pre-ordered games usually end up with the egg on their faces, so to speak. In the big scheme of things, you can't believe that a publisher values your 40 bucks more so than a customer like Best Buy, who may buy 20,000 copies in a single purchase. Don't hold your breath my friend--your copy is not priority one at the pre-order store.

MH
Old October 10, 2001, 18:30   #15
Provost Harrison
Deity

Re: Hahaha!
Quote:
Nope, Crouchback is correct, I live in Kingston-upon-Hull, England.

And the speed limit the whole of the way back from my house is 30 or 40mph! The joke is that I will be speeding like a rally driver to get back to my house as soon as I can

Oh, and Crouchback, did you ever go to Spiders? I have only been to the Room once or twice, would like to go again but have no one to go with It's a lonely old life in Hull...

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old October 10, 2001, 21:44   #16
Lee Johnson
Warlord

Ha, the joke's on me! Your quote from Isaac Brock threw me off--I thought you were in Canada. And this is ostensibly a Canadian thread. I hope you don't mind.
Old October 10, 2001, 22:35   #17
JellyDonut
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Col Bigspear
1. What is the rumored release date in England?
Infogrammes says October 30 for UK and US release.

I'm probably going to pre-order it. The closest software store is EB, 50 mi away from here

So I'll probably get it early November and spare the two hours in the car.

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!
Old October 11, 2001, 05:06   #18
Simpleton
Prince

I'm from Canada too (Edmonton) and I looked into Pre-ordering it but I saw that the shipment could take anywhere from 5 to 10 days from the states. I used to (before napster, audiogalaxy) order lots of Cd's from various internet sites and I always found the delivery at the high end (in this case probably 10 days) as opposed to the low end of what they say. Sooooo I decided I'd wait till I saw it in stores. There's an EB in Edmonton so it should have the game fairly quickly (1 week or less).

Besides I still have to upgrade my computer and I want it preinstalled with Windows XP and most stores can't sell it until the 25th so I may have to wait anyhow depending on when I can get out and pick up a system. Any suggestions? A little off topic now but this is what I was thinking of (ASUS A7M266, AMD Athlon 1.2 , 256 DDR, Asus GE force2 MX400 are the main components --> sound good?)
Old October 11, 2001, 07:34   #19
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Jingo
i ordered Tribes2 Rush delivery online, but FEDEX WENT ON STRIKE, AND IT TOOK 2 WEEKS TO GET HERE.
LOL

Didn't it suck when you finally got Tribes 2 and found out that it sucked a$$? Tribes 2 has been the worst game I ever had the pleasure of shelling out 50 bucks (US) for.
Old October 11, 2001, 07:37   #20
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

I was wondering about which would be faster also. I was thinking of ordering Civ 3 from BestBuy.com and then choosing to pick it up at the store. Basically, I'm just reserving a copy. I have a feeling that pre-ordering from amazon.com, or anywhere else, would be a longer wait because of the shipping. Plus I would cry if on Oct. 31st I was at BestBuy and saw 50 copies on the shelf while waiting for mine to come.
Old October 11, 2001, 07:46   #21
Provost Harrison
Deity

Judging by some of the horror stories I have heard, I will just go to the shops on the day of release. It is what I have done in the past with civ2 and SMAC...

Old October 11, 2001, 07:56   #22
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Provost Harrison
Judging by some of the horror stories I have heard, I will just go to the shops on the day of release. It is what I have done in the past with civ2 and SMAC...
Harrison, you ROCK!

I thought you were Canadian, though. Now I have to imagine you as a UKer, saying words like "****er" and "yank". Britain was smart, they sent all their criminals and religious fanatics to America. And they all became politicians. Maybe, I'll move to the UK.
Old October 11, 2001, 07:57   #23
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

I can't say ****er? wtf
Old October 11, 2001, 18:59   #24
Col Bigspear
Warlord

Local Time: 14:26
Location: Manchester, England. Im 1/2 Polish and proud of it!
I just thought of something (haven't read most posts so I don't know if it has been said), if it does come out on 30th Oct, then I'll probably get it on 31st...... Halloween. I'll (hopefully) be playing like mad, when all of a sudden....Knock knock..trick or treat.... some little sh*ts will be knocking at my door. WTF trick or treat GET OFF MY FUC*ING DOOR STEP! NOW BI*CH's ME IS PLAYING CIV3
Old October 11, 2001, 19:20   #25
Juggernaut
Prince

Local Time: 16:26
Pre-ordered from amazon.com. Will probably take an eternity.
Old October 11, 2001, 19:39   #26
TechWins
King

If my calculations are right Nov 1 is a Friday. That is the day Best Buy is supposed to be receiving the game. Which is the place where I've already spent $10 on my pre-order. Now somehow I need to find a way to stay home from school on Nov 1. I can already tell you how I'm going to be spending my Nov 1-2-3 weekend.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old October 11, 2001, 21:41   #27
Lee Johnson
Warlord

Of course, November 1 falls on a Thursday.