View Poll Results: Is the game unfinished, or do they give us old info?
The The game is being sent out unfininshed. the screenshots they show are the best available 7 13.73%
The game is a Giant of polish and completeness. the screenshots are old and almost useless. 24 47.06%
somewhere in between options 1 and 2. 19 37.25%
I don't care, I refuse to buy the game no matter how good it is! 1 1.96%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 10, 2001, 10:33   #1
Father Beast
King

Local Time: 07:26
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Is Firaxis giving us unfinished game, or just old info
We were told that there would be a modern worker or engineer available in modern times. and then in the latest screenshot of the week, the supposedly "modern" screenshot, the selected unit is a plain old worker. This was posed to civ3,com 4 DAYS BEFORE GOING GOLD!!!

the question is, was that a really old screenshot they dole out to us in lieu of giving us real info, or is the game actually being sent out pretty incomplete?

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn
Old October 10, 2001, 12:30   #2
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 08:26
True, its a plain worker, but he is dressed differently. He looks like a lumberjack. It looks like their appearences will change throughout the ages.
Old October 10, 2001, 13:15   #3
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 15:26
More importantly, trying to trace which tiles were connected to which by those railways was making me dizzy
Old October 10, 2001, 13:25   #4
Th0mas
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 14:26
Probably old screen shots
I remember reading the reviews of CIV II in the gaming magazines - just after it had been released. A large majority of the graphics i.e. units were changed once I actually got my filthy hands on the game... just my pennies worth

6 years lurking, 5 minutes posting
Old October 10, 2001, 13:39   #5
Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

Local Time: 09:26
Re: Is Firaxis giving us unfinished game, or just old info
Quote:
Originally posted by Father Beast
We were told that there would be a modern worker or engineer available in modern times. and then in the latest screenshot of the week, the supposedly "modern" screenshot, the selected unit is a plain old worker. This was posed to civ3,com 4 DAYS BEFORE GOING GOLD!!!

the question is, was that a really old screenshot they dole out to us in lieu of giving us real info, or is the game actually being sent out pretty incomplete?
I don't understand the issue here. IIRC, someone asked me if workers would still be running around in a tunic in 1945, and I said no, they wouldn't.

Reference:
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...ghlight=worker

I never said there would be engineers in Civ III, because there aren't and there never have been. Workers are workers are workers -- but obviously we don't expect modern workers to look like ancient ones. The same is true of armies and leaders.

The worker shown on this week's Screen of the Week is the modern worker, which is clearly different from the ancient/middle-ages worker.

Dan
Old October 10, 2001, 14:31   #6
Father Beast
King

Re: Re: Is Firaxis giving us unfinished game, or just old info
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Magaha FIRAXIS

I don't understand the issue here. IIRC, someone asked me if workers would still be running around in a tunic in 1945, and I said no, they wouldn't.

Reference:
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...ghlight=worker

I never said there would be engineers in Civ III, because there aren't and there never have been. Workers are workers are workers -- but obviously we don't expect modern workers to look like ancient ones. The same is true of armies and leaders.

The worker shown on this week's Screen of the Week is the modern worker, which is clearly different from the ancient/middle-ages worker.

Dan
ah, yes, your quote from that thread:

Quote:
:

Workers are a perfect example, as you no longer get ancient-era workers running around in
the industrial era -- they change to a more "modernized" worker.

Dan
I may have guessed wrong on that point, because of this uncorrected assumption from serapisIV:

Quote:
Thank goodness, I was getting scared that the Engineer was being cut. I wouldn't be too thrilled seeing all my
schoolwork go to waste because its no longer needed
it never occurred to us that there wouldn't be an engineer in civ3, since there had been in civ2, and no announcement that they had been cut. (hmmmnn..., got to make sure everyone hears). The engineer type abilities were available to AC formers also, but no terrain transformation abilities seem to be available to this worker.just the standard fortress, irrigation, plant forest, (rail)road, and make colony of it's ancient counterpart. I guess he just gets new clothes, huh? except of course for the rail and fortress techs.

In any case, prying info out of Firaxis on civ3 has been like pulling teeth. after being a rumour that you refused to admit to for a long time. when new screenshots are released, Dan the Man is often there to say those are old, I'm still not sure if we have a luxury slider (preview says there isn't, latest domestic advisor screenshot shows one) and the list goes on.

Dan, I have confidence that Civ3 will be the high point of my life this year, but getting good info on it is a hit and miss operation. that's where my vote is.

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
Old October 10, 2001, 14:41   #7
Crouchback
Warlord

If the same worker who built my first road back in 4000BC is expected to build my first railway line, will he do it in that same time or take much longer? I mean without the engineer upgrade it could take forever to do modern tile improvement.

Unless there are no tile improvements beyond farms, mines, roads and railways, and they all take the same time.

More info please Dan.

David
Old October 10, 2001, 14:49   #8
Wexu
Warlord

Local Time: 16:26
Aah.. more great news! Engineer is out!

It seems Firaxis has made just the right decisions, like no engineer, no spies/diplomats, no caravans/trucks and they have come with far better ideas. There really are other BETTER ideas to make worker work faster/better and so on, than just adding unnecessary engineer unit. Maybe a minor wonder which makes workers better, maybe some technology? So think a second before you whine about such a stupid thing as losing engineer unit.

It's great to see Firaxis has made really something new things/ideas to the game and not just more, more, more everything, but nothing really new like in Civ2.

GREAT WORK FIRAXIS!

PS. I'm so full of people whining about so stupid issues. Just wait 'till the game comes, play it and see how things work, THEN come to whine here if there's something to whine about.
Old October 10, 2001, 14:52   #9
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Crouchback
If the same worker who built my first road back in 4000BC is expected to build my first railway line, will he do it in that same time or take much longer? I mean without the engineer upgrade it could take forever to do modern tile improvement.

Unless there are no tile improvements beyond farms, mines, roads and railways, and they all take the same time.

More info please Dan.

David

THERE IS NO ENGINEER UPGRADE!!!!!!
Ancient workers=modern workers
except in different clothes.

Also, apparently armies & leaders change appearance.
Old October 10, 2001, 14:55   #10
Father Beast
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Crouchback

More info please Dan.

David
Don't hold your breath

Old October 10, 2001, 14:58   #11
Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

Re: Re: Re: Is Firaxis giving us unfinished game, or just old info
Quote:
In any case, prying info out of Firaxis on civ3 has been like pulling teeth. after being a rumour that you refused to admit to for a long time. when new screenshots are released, Dan the Man is often there to say those are old, I'm still not sure if we have a luxury slider (preview says there isn't, latest domestic advisor screenshot shows one) and the list goes on.
Just a couple of points about my patterns of communication here, because I want folks to know where I'm coming from.

First off, I've been repeating the mantra "those screenshots are old" for months now, until I'm blue in the face. This is the problem with people asking for screens nine months before a game ships. I can't control what magazines people scan pictures from and magnify and then scrutinize, I can only tell you what I know, which in this case was "those are old screens." As soon as I was able to put up new, official screens, I gladly did so.

Secondly, if I don't answer a question in a thread it's because I don't know the answer, or I'm not confident enough that I'm correct and I don't want to see my educated guess posted as a news item. The other possible reason is that I'm unable to answer a question for various reasons that are out of my control.

Third, there are so many threads here, that it's nearly impossible for me to know what people are misinformed about. Contrary to some folks' beliefs, I *do* have a pretty full workload, and I like to post here because I know you guys are huge fans, and when I'm not wearing a "game company employee" hat, I'm a fan of games just like you. So, I tend to post when I have time, and some weeks that means hardly ever, and sometimes I can spend a significant amount of time here. It all depends on what I have going on that week.

Dan
Old October 10, 2001, 14:58   #12
connorkimbro
Emperor

Quote:
In any case, prying info out of Firaxis on civ3 has been like pulling teeth.
You act as if he OWE'S it to you.

-theonion.com
Old October 10, 2001, 15:02   #13
Earthling7
Mac
Prince

Local Time: 15:26
Anorak talk over a cup of coffee...
Old October 10, 2001, 15:09   #14
Crouchback
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Earthling7
Anorak talk over a cup of coffee...
Hey, mine's a pint mate. But thanks for telling us what you can Dan, you know we just get a little carried away is all.

David
Old October 10, 2001, 15:27   #15
Stuie
King

Local Time: 10:26
Re: Re: Re: Re: Is Firaxis giving us unfinished game, or just old info
Quote:
Contrary to some folks' beliefs, I *do* have a pretty full workload....
Dan, I hope you know I was kidding in my "Day in the Life" thread. I was reflecting more what Apolytoners probably feel you are doing as we sit waiting for screens/updates/posts/etc. from you. I work in software development, and I know how busy you must be, and therefore I am extremely appreciative of every second you spare to give us whatever information you can.

Thanks!
Old October 10, 2001, 15:41   #16
Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is Firaxis giving us unfinished game, or just old info
Quote:
Originally posted by Stuie

Dan, I hope you know I was kidding in my "Day in the Life" thread. I was reflecting more what Apolytoners probably feel you are doing as we sit waiting for screens/updates/posts/etc. from you. I work in software development, and I know how busy you must be, and therefore I am extremely appreciative of every second you spare to give us whatever information you can.

Thanks!
Stuie,

No worries, I wouldn't have replied to that thread had I thought you were serious

Dan
Old October 10, 2001, 16:31   #17
Father Beast
King

did he answer?
Yeah, but is there a luxury slider? I'm buying the game either way, I'm just trying to pre map my strategies.

Pardon for all your worries Dan, it's just that with al the conflicting information, it seems that a lot of us won't believe ANYTHING until we actually possess the game. does it have MP or not? I guess that was up in the air up until Gold Day. We do appreciate what dregs of info you give us, we are just frustrated at the plethora of non answers. We are so eager to actually play the game and satisfy our curiousity on all these unknown matters that we jump and theorize on the least scraps you give us.

ah well, 3 weeks to go!!!!!

good gosh, I'm starting to sound like Yin. ugh.

Last edited by Father Beast; October 10, 2001 at 16:39.
Old October 10, 2001, 16:44   #18
Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

Re: did he answer?
Quote:
Yeah, but is there a luxury slider? I'm buying the game either way, I'm just trying to pre map my strategies.

Pardon for all your worries Dan, it's just that with al the conflicting information, it seems that a lot of us won't believe ANYTHING until we actually possess the game. does it have MP or not? I guess that was up in the air up until Gold Day. We do appreciate what dregs of info you give us, we are just frustrated at the plethora of non answers. We are so eager to actually play the game and satisfy our curiousity on all these unknown matters that we jump and theorize on the least scraps you give us.

ah well, 3 weeks to go!!!!!

good gosh, I'm starting to sound like Yin. ugh.
Didn't realize that question was still outstanding. Yes, you have a luxury slider as well as a research slider. I think at one point the luxury slider had been taken out, which is why it didn't appear in some screenshots, but I can't remember. In any case, you definitely do have a luxury slider.

Dan
Old October 10, 2001, 17:35   #19
dainbramaged13
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
King

no mp seee other tthread
Old October 10, 2001, 18:10   #20
Roman
King

Re: Re: did he answer?
Quote:

Didn't realize that question was still outstanding. Yes, you have a luxury slider as well as a research slider. I think at one point the luxury slider had been taken out, which is why it didn't appear in some screenshots, but I can't remember. In any case, you definitely do have a luxury slider.

Dan
This is v. good.

Anyway, Dan, we always appreciate when you talk to us and fully appreciate the workload you have.
Old October 10, 2001, 18:50   #21
PGM
Prince

I wouldn't be as nice as Dan has been if I were in his place. Stupid questions, stupid complaints, endless "hey-Dan-answer-this-and-that" threads,... You know he isn't contractually obligated to come here and share info, and again, if I were in his place, I would definitely consider stop replying to a few people.
Some of you are really making me sick. Learn some manners.

Thanks again Dan

btw, the fact that the "engineer" unit is no longer around doesn't mean a worker in BC will perform exactly as a worker in AD. New techs will definitely bring added functions to the modern worker unit. I totally support this change, I'm sure it's for the best.
Old October 10, 2001, 18:54   #22
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Quote:
I can't control what magazines people scan pictures from
I'd like to repeat my suggestion from long ago: Please put a date stamp on ALL the images you release to magazines and on-line sites. I think ES has begun to do this recently as well.

Very simple and very helpful for everybody.

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old October 10, 2001, 19:25   #23
Pembleton
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by yin26
I think ES has begun to do this recently as well.
What's ES?
Old October 10, 2001, 20:01   #24
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Ah, sorry: Ensemble Studios...of Bruce Shelley fame. They REALLY know how to run things like unique units, artwork, testing, interaction with the public, etc. And I've noticed lately their screens have date stamps on them, too.

Of course, if you played Age of Kings, you'd know it took a while to get the Town Center patch available, but they continue to do amazing work. Age of Mythology looks to be simply outstanding.

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old October 10, 2001, 20:05   #25
ColdWizard
Civilization II MultiplayerGameLeagueNationStates
Emperor

there's no MP, so the game is unfinished
CW: Sometimes you're even bigger weirdo than kass... - Jeki, Wiser Finn.
Old October 10, 2001, 21:17   #26
Simpleton
Prince

I for one want to thank Dan for his efforts. I have been very impressed with his dedication to the fans on this site. I mean it's not as if he is paid to come here and answer everyone's questions.
I'm sure there are a lot of companies that could care less about having someone come to a fansite and answer questions. They would just say wait till the game is out.

Thanks. And take a break Dan you deserve it!