Local Date: October 31, 2010
No Mp It's Official!
In response to is MP in the game they replied:

Johnson: No. We're working on multiplayer
but we're not ready to make any
announcements about how it will be
implemented.

So there ya go, no MP out of the box...

...dang this'll be like throwing gasoline on a bonfire in this board...

check out the interview at gamespy- it's on the lower part of the fron page.
Old October 10, 2001, 12:27   #2
Pembleton
Prince

Local Time: 08:26
Could you post a link?

If this is true, this makes me laugh at all those who tried to outthink everybody by coming up with convlouted reasons why they haven't responded to the question earlier. I really like the one about how they wanted to surprise everyone by including MP. Um, yeah.

It was really very simple. They weren't responding because there is no MP. I was 99% certain there wouldn't be from the lack of response.
Old October 10, 2001, 12:44   #3
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 10:26
Here is the link to the beginning of the article:
http://www.gamespy.com/gamespin/october01/gamespin26/

And here is the link directly to the MP part of the article:
http://www.gamespy.com/gamespin/octo...26/index2.shtm

At first I was a little distraught that the game may not ship with MP initially. But now, I am just thankful that we will have CivIII available so soon.
Old October 10, 2001, 12:49   #4
Green Giant
Warlord

I like the wat they are doing it. I would rather have the SP game now than to have to wait 2 months just because of the multiplayer. Multiplayer isn't even that great in turn based games, whats the big deal?
Old October 10, 2001, 13:17   #5
Th0mas
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 14:26
Quote:
Originally posted by Green Giant
........Multiplayer isn't even that great in turn based games, whats the big deal?
*throwing himself bodily infront of Green Giant*

.....please... he doesn't know what he is saying...

*stage whisper* claim temporary insanity.

6 years lurking, 5 minutes posting
Old October 10, 2001, 13:23   #6
SteveJH
Warlord

Local Time: 06:26
If it was going to significantly delay the game, I think I can wait for a patch. They should not charge for this patch however since they were originaly planning to put it in the game.
Old October 10, 2001, 13:34   #7
Green Giant
Warlord

Let me clarify. I am not saying it isn't fun, oh god no. I played a week-long large SMAC game with my cousin and it was a blast. My problem is its hard to get someone to commit to a long turn based game and even harder to find someone who will play at all. There needs to be a revision in how turn-based games work out multiplayer to attract a larger amount of dedicated players. Firaxis is doing that. I am just not willing to wait for a large delay just because of a feature which i have not used with very much success in the past.
Old October 10, 2001, 13:40   #8
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Green Giant
Let me clarify. I am not saying it isn't fun, oh god no. I played a week-long large SMAC game with my cousin and it was a blast. My problem is its hard to get someone to commit to a long turn based game and even harder to find someone who will play at all. There needs to be a revision in how turn-based games work out multiplayer to attract a larger amount of dedicated players. Firaxis is doing that. I am just not willing to wait for a large delay just because of a feature which i have not used with very much success in the past.
In another thread here, I and other SMAC pbem regulars were talking about the pbem aspect to the game. There is actually quite a large following of pbem for SMAC (well, there was, but with CivIII it has been slowly draining).

I expect there to be just as big, and probably an even BIGGER following of multiplayer gaming for CivIII than there was for SMAC, and for the obvious reasons: one, the pbem play will probably be even better implemented in CivIII; and two, CIV is more popular than the spin-off of SMAC.
Old October 10, 2001, 13:48   #9
Jason Beaudoin
Prince

Local Time: 09:26
The thing that I don't like about multiplayer is that some players bolt on the first sign that they may be loosing. Instead of trying to make a come-back or go out kicking and screeming, and maybe launch a couple of nukes just to piss the other guy off (that's how I'd go out), they just exit the game, and you end up playing the AI.

Yay!
Old October 10, 2001, 13:55   #10
drake
King

Sounds like you need to get a new crew together Jason. There are reliable people, you just need to search for them.

No Mp? Oh well
Theres still civ2 mp to keep us mp people occupied.
Old October 10, 2001, 13:56   #11
PrinceBimz
Prince

I for one don't have time for multiplayer. I vote no for it. When CIV1 and CIV2 was originally released it was a single player game. It don't bother me one way or another if it remains a single player game.
Old October 10, 2001, 13:59   #12
drake
King

The truth of the matter here
Is that Firaxis is all about money. They are going to cater to the majority, which is sp.

Our individual opinions are irrelevant.
Old October 10, 2001, 14:24   #13
Mahdimael
Prince

I'm personally of the opinion that Firaxis is working right now on multiplayer and will release it as a launch-simultaneous download.

But then again I'm an optimist
Old October 10, 2001, 14:29   #14
Wexu
Warlord

Local Time: 16:26
Re: The truth of the matter here
Quote:
Originally posted by drake
Firaxis is all about money. They are going to cater to the majority, which is sp.

Our individual opinions are irrelevant.
That is so BS!

It's much better to have great SP than SP and some shitty MP. It's good that they used all the time to make SP great. It's hard to find good way to implement MP to a game like Civ. It's not the best "ground" to make a MP-game, far from it.

So, I hope now they polish SP as much as they can and forget the whole MP thing. When SP is really done, THEN they should start to think ways to make MP great, which isn't easy. I know there are these which I'll now call "hardcore Civ-multiplayers" who'll enjoy playing couple of years one Civ game as PBEM, but I think majority find all MP-Civs rather boring, because the game is made for SP-play and there's just too much waiting and nothing to do in MP game. I'm one of those.

I hope Firaxis finds some good solutions to make Civ3 a great MP experience and I'm more than ready to pay for that, because I love good multiplayer-games.
Old October 10, 2001, 14:38   #15
Oligarf
Warlord

Local Time: 15:26
I happy that Civ III will soon be available in the stores. But I expect of Firaxis that people that buy the SP will have to pay big bucks again when the MP comes out. A refund or something, or free on the Internet, whatever.

If they think there at Firaxis that I am willing to pay twice for one game. They are WRONG! I will find a way round it then. Illegal stuff enough out there. And understand me well, I like to support Firaxis, but paying for a MP would be more profitable for Infogrames than for Firaxis.
Old October 10, 2001, 14:43   #16
Pembleton
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Mahdimael
I'm personally of the opinion that Firaxis is working right now on multiplayer and will release it as a launch-simultaneous download.
If you're serious, this would be a bad thing. MP is usually rushed in most games, and even in games that have had MP heavily tested, there are still problems. The first few patches for most games I've seen have tons of fixes to the MP aspect.

Let them take their time and get it right.
Old October 10, 2001, 14:53   #17
drake
King

Wexu, dude relax

You're going to blow a fuse chief!

You're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine. And mine is that Firaxis can wax my johnson for neglecting mp.

Why should you care about my "irrelevent" mp opinion
Old October 10, 2001, 15:11   #18
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

We have known this for a long time haven't we? So why is this all of a sudden big news?

I have not been too concerned about the delay in MP because I have found that MP can be awkward and just too time consuming on a TBS, so as long as there is PBEM (which is a little easier going rather than having to agree to allocate about 20 hours ) I don't mind for the time being.

And Rexu, steady on, you'll give yourself an aneurysm at that rate

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old October 10, 2001, 15:47   #19
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

i f*cking knew that for months now, but you people never listen.

BEND OVER AND PAY FOR CIV III MGE.
Old October 10, 2001, 16:14   #20
Christantine The Great
Prince

Re: The truth of the matter here
Quote:
Originally posted by drake
Is that Firaxis is all about money.
Well DUH! Who do you really think they're making the game for? Us? Nope, themselves! They're doing it to make a buck and since SP makes tons of bucks they'll do SP right now and follow up with MP later.
Old October 10, 2001, 16:32   #21
Mahdimael
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Pembleton

If you're serious, this would be a bad thing. MP is usually rushed in most games, and even in games that have had MP heavily tested, there are still problems. The first few patches for most games I've seen have tons of fixes to the MP aspect.

Let them take their time and get it right.
Certainly. But there's no evidence that says that they haven't been doing just that. They want to release the game, and multiplayer is almost done..but not quite. So release it as a patch when the game launches. The 2-3 weeks between going gold and the release will offer them the chance to focus exclusively on the multiplayer issues
Old October 10, 2001, 16:40   #22
Pembleton
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Mahdimael
The 2-3 weeks between going gold and the release will offer them the chance to focus exclusively on the multiplayer issues
I hope not exclusively. They should continue playtesting the gold version for new bugs so that they can get the first patch out ASAP.
Old October 10, 2001, 16:51   #23
Akron
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Provost Harrison
We have known this for a long time haven't we? So why is this all of a sudden big news?
A lot of people were skeptical about the rumor and were hoping for it to be false.
Old October 10, 2001, 16:58   #24
CapTVK
Civilization II MultiplayerPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Akron

A lot of people were skeptical about the rumor and were hoping for it to be false.

Yin26 is heard softly chuckling in the background. Mwahahaha!
Old October 10, 2001, 17:49   #25
VetLegion
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGames
Emperor

AARGH!!!!

FIRAAAAAXIS!!

In my opinion, there is no excuse.

First, they developed this game for ages: and no 3D terrain, no this, no that (I am glad that they were not radical dont get me wrong) but does it really take all this time to implement borders and culture??

And they quit Dinos and delayed SimGolf so they could concentrate on Civ 3, instead they do not even get that right!

I mean SMAC code? how hard is that?

I am guessing that they want to implement some radical new system (simmultanious RTS TBS combo or something) or that the matchmaking site is not ready)

IT DOESNT MATTER. WE WILL PLAY PBEM!!!

We wont actually as things stand now
Old October 10, 2001, 17:55   #26
VetLegion
Emperor

Quote:
BEND OVER AND PAY FOR CIV III MGE.

Talk about treating fans like scum. They should put firaxis in textbooks.
Old October 10, 2001, 18:03   #27
VetLegion
Emperor

Quote:
So, I hope now they polish SP as much as they can and forget the whole MP thing. When SP is really done, THEN they should start to think ways to make MP great
Really? done by your criteria is it? Game isnt done if there is no MP. Wonders like Eiffel tower prove that, every aspect of the game has to be thought of in multiplayer perspective.

Quote:
which isn't easy. I know there are these which I'll now call "hardcore Civ-multiplayers" who'll enjoy playing couple of years one Civ game as PBEM
really? I am not hardcore MP civ player, however I find AI too limited to last me a game (I am not bragging, I simply have enough expirience with it to predict it to a point where it is boring). I was really looking forward to playing some PBEM and even some LAN games.

Quote:
but I think majority find all MP-Civs rather boring, because the game is made for SP-play and there's just too much waiting and nothing to do in MP game. I'm one of those.
They talked about inventive way of MP, presumably with less waiting. I would not mind if they took another 3-4 months to finish the thing and put it all out.

But what I am guessing that this is a purely money squezing technique. Buy two CDs instead of one. The second one will likely be out pretty soon (3-4 months) and will have MP + scenarios or whatever.

It will also likely surpass my buying power. I ll have to see.

But firaxis, that is really, really .... low.
Old October 10, 2001, 18:07   #28
VetLegion
Emperor

Uuups I was angry enough not to notice there is another thread little lower.
Old October 10, 2001, 18:32   #29
Whitestar718
Settler

Local Time: 07:26
No MP, No dollar bills for Infogrames
Yeah, we saw this coming awhile ago with the accidental leak of information in that Firaxis e-mail response to the teacher.

I respect the people who are primarily interested in single-play, and I am glad they will have it soon. However, as a consumer, I was told the game would have multi-play, and I expect that. When Firaxis/Infogrames delivers the REST of the game, then I will consider buying it. Hope they don't try to give us the shaft with an additional charge for multiplayer add-on.

MH
Old October 10, 2001, 18:50   #30
August Borms
Prince

Sorry for you MP people...
If MP will be available as a free downloadable patch, I can understand it (either this or delaying the game). If not - they're a bunch of greedy bastards