Old October 10, 2001, 20:11   #31
VetLegion
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGames
Emperor

Local Time: 16:27
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I agree Steve, perhaps it is so. I personally enjoyed crushing AI. would like to do more peace building, for once
Old October 10, 2001, 20:11   #32
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Local Time: 15:27
Quote:
Originally posted by Pembleton
You know what could be funny? If no-one was able to beat Deity.

Then would the complaints about easy AI go away?
Sure. I for one would eat all -or at least most - of my critical words, and tell you all at least once a day how phantastic CivIII is!
Old October 10, 2001, 20:16   #33
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Local Time: 15:27
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Clark
Which reminds me, there WILL be an in-depth tutorial, right????
I hope for a tutorial mode that can be turned on on *all* difficulty levels. I would like to play my first game on King, but in tutorial mode, so I am reminded of any new features by the advisors while playing.
Old October 10, 2001, 20:44   #34
cassembler
Prince

Local Time: 08:27
Quote:
Rightly so. If the AI can only beat you because they were given additional benefits, resources, etc, then people have a right to complain. The only time people will not have a right to complain is at such time as an AI can start with the exact same resources, tech, etc and consistently beat the player.
It depends on HOW the AI beats the player. I'm not gonna like getting beat 'cause my opponent has twice as many tanks as me, I like getting beat because he/she sent those three to the weakest point in my defenses and took out my only oil supply.
Old October 10, 2001, 20:47   #35
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 10:27
Well, if they expect players to 'find ways' a few months from now, why didn't they get alphas and betas in the players' hands a few months AGO? In the end, the lack of an expanded testing effort will be at least the short-term deteriment of Civ3 if not potentially a bullet in its hopes for great longevity.

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old October 10, 2001, 20:56   #36
Pembleton
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by yin26
Well, if they expect players to 'find ways' a few months from now, why didn't they get alphas and betas in the players' hands a few months AGO?
Well Sid was planning to do this all along until he heard that not having this testing would really get you upset, so he decided not to do any open beta testing.
Old October 10, 2001, 21:19   #37
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 10:27
Well, it has been proven that I actually AM Sid, so I doubt I would inflict such pain on myself.

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old October 10, 2001, 21:32   #38
Steve Clark
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Grumbold
I could give you many reasons but they boil down to what I say in my signature. I know Civ needs to keep it simple but making the British (just for example) unique by giving them a ship at a particular point in time when that may be useless in their in-game circumstances and ignoring all the other unique attributes they have had over time just doesn't work for me.
I could not have said this better. I have said before that unique units and such belong in a scenario where everything should be customized or unique to serve the purpose of the scenario. To have it in the main game (even though folks seem to get all excited because it sounds cool), is a gimmick and I would be willing to bet that such things will become irrelevant in the long run of playing a regular game, as articulated by grumbold.

The same thing goes for civ attributes. Not only did I make the case for them reducing replayability (Firaxis appears to have agreed because they are looking into making them random), but that gets close to factions, an idea that most of us railed against last year and earlier this year.