Old August 1, 2002, 03:59   #301
johndmuller
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 09:27
Local Date: October 31, 2010
2191 to the Cap'n.

Poor JPJ , did someone shoot back at you?

Not to worry about our reputation, you're not the only one who can pretend to be at peace and be able to fight at the same time, one of your other enemies asked us to help out .

As ever, all you have to do to get peace is to go back home where you belong and leave us alone.
Old August 1, 2002, 16:17   #302
John Paul Jones
Prince

Local Time: 14:27
People's Endeavour is liberated.
Turn to Darsnan.
Old August 2, 2002, 20:09   #303
Darsnan
supporter
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 GaiansApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansPolyCast TeamSpore
Emperor

Local Time: 10:27
on to the absent johndmuller

-=Vel=-
Old August 13, 2002, 10:06   #304
Darsnan
supporter
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 GaiansApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansPolyCast TeamSpore
Emperor

To All,

I will be out of town from now (the 14th) till the 27th. In my stead, Radman has agreed to take up the challenge! His E-Mail address is BFerdy@cs.com. I have given explicit instructions as to how to proceed, and I trust him implicitly to be able to execute them flawlessly, and because of the relatively slow pace of this game, why I don't think that too much unforseen is going to happen in my absence anyways. Regardless, Radman is quite a capable player and has Carte Blanche to operate as he best sees fit if anything unforseen does occur

-=Vel=-
Old August 22, 2002, 14:53   #305
johndmuller
King

2192 to Cap'n BJ

Sorry for the long delay - what with being out of town, returning to discover disk problems, Darsnans vacation, etc, this game got lowest priority - actually, it was the mind control, it takes a long time to recover from it - in this case I got programmed with all these Drone unit instructions by mistake - a voice keeps saying "...we...must...have...Pe...puls...En...dea...vor.. ., ...we...must...have...Pe...puls...En...dea...vor.. ., ...we...must...have...Pe...puls...En...dea...vor.. ., ...we...must...have...Pe...puls...En...dea...vor.. ., ...no...maa...ter...how...stew...pid..., ...no...maa...ter...how...stew...pid..., ...no...maa...ter...how...stew...pid..., ...no...maa...ter...how...stew...pid..., ...we...must...have...Pe...puls...En...dea...vor.. ., ...we...must...have...Pe...puls...En...dea...vor.. ., ...we...must...have...Pe...puls...En...dea...vor.. ." No wonder the Drones keep coming over here.

I'll try to keep the turn moving from now on "...we...must...have...Pe...puls...En...dea...vor.. ., ...we...must...have...Pe...puls...En...dea...vor.. .".

(official news release)
The Satan-Spawn Drones have once again broken with established UN and interfactional protocols and subjected innocent civilians to psycho-infantiprobicide and the ensuing detritus in terms of infants robbed of their consciousness, their mothers turned into zombies and even the selfless volunteer aid workers from Ciudad Gammalflat Nueva, The Hive, Xi Ellipse, (Grand) Theta Banks and elsewhere who are being forced to perform unspeakably absurd Drone sex acts such as carressing the Drone game-boy recharging stations and licking the Drone wireless network adapters instead of giving the much needed succor to the now twice-removed-from-reality victims of Foreman JPJ's ruthless landgrab. Apparently he needs the benefits of the Manifold Nexus so that he can more brutally rape Planet's environment without paying too dearly in ED. Strange, he violates innocent populations abroad so that he may more brutally abuse his own environment at home. Even the University, long a puppet of the Drones has broken with them over this inhumane slaughter and destruction - or is it because the perverted Satan-Spawn Drones have double-crossed them as well, moving to fill up the Great Libraries with their repetitive and boring Drone messages?
Old August 22, 2002, 22:51   #306
John Paul Jones
Prince

Yawn, 2193 to Darsnan.
Old August 22, 2002, 23:14   #307
johndmuller
King

JPJ,
When you put your message in a bottle to Darsnan, hopefully you threw it instead/also at Radman (BFerdy@cs.com) who will be taking D's turns for the next week or so (see message in the thread above).
J
Old August 23, 2002, 22:32   #308
Radman
Prince

Local Time: 07:27
Hi all:

Move 2193 received, played and sent on to JohndMuller!

Secretary of State Radman
Peacekeeper
Old September 7, 2002, 21:26   #309
John Paul Jones
Prince

Whose turn is it anyway ?
Old September 8, 2002, 04:51   #310
johndmuller
King

JPJ,

Its my turn, but it got a little complicated, so I'm not sure that I actually have the turn. I got the turn from Radman before I went out of town for a long weekend. I started that turn, but while I was out of town, I received another copy of the same turn, this time from Darsnan, who had meanwhile returned from his trip, presumably having gotten a duplicate of the turn from you and presumably playing that one independently of Radman.

When I got back from my trip, I asked Darsnan if he had any preference which version I played and (naturally enough) he told me that he would prefer that I played the version he had played instead of the one Radman played - I suppose that was to be expected, but I thought I should ask anyway.

Yesterday or the day before, I opened what I thought to be a copy of the turn that Darsnan had played which I had copied from my computer up north and brought back from my trip. I was surprised to get a replay warning when I opened it up; I cancelled out thinking I must have opened the wrong file, but when I paid close attention and definitely opened what I thought was Darsnan's version I got the replay warning again (I suppose making the reload count now up to 2). I had thought that the cheat control was a little more complicated than just keying off having the same file name (which both Radman's and Darsnan's versions happened to have IIRC), but I don't really know how it works, so it could be as simple as that - or I might have gotten the files mixed up somehow and opened what actually was the same turn over again (they definitely had different dates though).

So I just a little while ago asked Darsnan to send me another copy of his version of the turn along with any helpful clues or other indicators that I might be able to use to see if either of these turns was actually his.

I've played both versions out to about the same point I think and have saved games which I at least think I know which is supposed to be which. I believe that were some not terribly consequential differences aside from the replay warnings - in one I got a >pop< (good I guess, although it took out some terraforming), in the other I think I got to kill a native MW or something IIRC, so they are not terribly different. In neither case have I yet crossed the rubicon of either attacking or not attacking People's Endeavor or anything else of yours, so we don't have that complication deal with at least. I did, however notice your fine defensive ploy of shelling the road, with my own artie no doubt (guess I should have left the former there after all).

When D gets back to me, I'll either play it again or pick up and finish the appropriate version - having done it twice already, it shouldn't take very long once I decide what to do with PE.
Old September 13, 2002, 19:56   #311
johndmuller
King

2193 to Cap'n BJ.

The reload message which I imagine you'all will get is due to the multiplicity of and the confusion about the turns - First I opened and played part of Radman's version of the turn; then, while I was out of town, I received another copy from Darsnan, but not having the original Radman version with me (only the mid-turn version I had saved), I couldn't compare file credentials to see whether they were the same until I got back. At that point, I asked Darsnan whether he cared if I played Radman's turn or his (stupid question I suppose). Darsnan asked me to play his, so I loaded up what I thought was D's version of the turn and got a reload warning. Assuming I had clicked on the wrong file by mistake, I exited that attempt with cancels/escapes whatever and (this time carefully) clicked on the file that I thought was the one from Darsnan only to get a reload warning again. I don't know why that is, since it seems that Darsnan's and Radman's versions were different - they do have identical file names, but I would think that was kind of simpleminded for the cheat control logic to flag on just that, but maybe it does. In any case I finally decided that Darsnan's version was the one I opened a couple of times, so there will be at least 1 and probably 2 reloads noted by the game. There was no real significant differences in the parts of the turn I played in both versions - MW's cropping up in one and a >pop< in the other. Nor was my war with JPJ affected; I didn't do anything in that area until I decided on this version of the turn. I sure didn't get any special benefit out of this; if anything, I did worse than average, as I made a few annoying mistakes and my 'luck' was a bit on the down side in military affairs. Mostly it was tedious playing much of the turn several times.

In short, I did a unnecessary reload and it was no big deal gamewise.
Old September 14, 2002, 14:56   #312
John Paul Jones
Prince

'94>Darsnan
Old September 26, 2002, 22:43   #313
John Paul Jones
Prince

re-sent

Last edited by John Paul Jones; September 27, 2002 at 16:04.
Old September 27, 2002, 06:38   #314
Darsnan
supporter
Emperor

I noticed that this game had gone dormant a few days ago myself, and so since I had no record of my forwarding the turn to jdm (my wife is very neat in this manner in that she cleans out our Sent Folder usually once a day) nor did I post here, why I had re-sent 2194 to him at that time. FYI.

D

-=Vel=-
Old September 27, 2002, 15:39   #315
johndmuller
King

D,
I got your resend and will play it as soon as RL permits - probably by tommorow night. As to the original transmission, I don't recall getting it, but perhaps it got lost in what seems like a greatly increased flow of spam lately.
J
Old October 5, 2002, 23:10   #316
John Paul Jones
Prince

Did u send the turn on to BJ yet ?
Old October 10, 2002, 18:28   #317
johndmuller
King

2194 to Cap'n BJ.

Sorry for the long delay; both me and my computer were sick and RL intruded as well. I wasted additional time trying to ressurrect my once again inaccessable drive because I had played virtually all the turn and had survived a dicey battle to once again liberate the beleaguered warweary citizens of People's Endeavor - I was reluctant to roll the dice again. Well when I finally gave up and replayed the turn, the results were not quite so good, but still good enough to once again evict the unwelcome invaders. Perhaps peace will rear its long missing head again.

Hopefully, I'll stop being such a drag on this game in the future - I'm swearing off using that *&%ing flakey drive in any important capacity should I somehow manage to get it going again.
Old October 10, 2002, 22:02   #318
John Paul Jones
Prince

People's Endeavour is once again liberated, in addition Unity Lair has revolted and joined the Free Drones.

After warning Darsnan against further incursions into the University, and in the light of battlefield analysis concerning his invasion of my ally - the Free Drones have rallied to Zhakarov's aid and declared war on the Peacekeepers.

2195 to Darsnan
Old October 10, 2002, 23:11   #319
Darsnan
supporter
Emperor

on to johndmuller

-=Vel=-
Old October 17, 2002, 20:55   #320
johndmuller
King

2195 to Cap'n BJ.
Old October 18, 2002, 04:36   #321
John Paul Jones
Prince

'96 to Commis. Darsnan
Old October 18, 2002, 19:31   #322
Darsnan
supporter
Emperor

on to johndmuller

-=Vel=-
Old October 23, 2002, 02:44   #323
johndmuller
King

2196 to Cap'n BJ.
Old November 6, 2002, 15:18   #324
John Paul Jones
Prince

sent '97 on the 24th of last mnth but forgot to post here, re-sending...
Old November 7, 2002, 14:16   #325
johndmuller
King

2197 to Cap'n BJ.
Old November 10, 2002, 01:48   #326
John Paul Jones
Prince

'98 to the UN
Old November 20, 2002, 20:13   #327
Darsnan
supporter
Emperor

onwards.

You will get a reload message: the game locked up during the Diplomatic Window sequence. Personally I think it had something to do with too many techs being displayed in the Diplomatic Window without actually being offered.....

-=Vel=-
Old November 26, 2002, 04:00   #328
johndmuller
King

2198 to Cap'n BJ.
Old November 26, 2002, 23:05   #329
John Paul Jones
Prince

'99 to Darsnan
Old November 27, 2002, 20:16   #330
Darsnan
supporter
Emperor

on to johndmuller.

To All,

I will be out of town from Thursday morning till Saturday evening est. FYI.

D

-=Vel=-