Old October 12, 2001, 02:39   #181
Shiva
Prince

Local Time: 08:30
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by yin26
By the way, Shiva...rest assured that I do consider you a forum whore. Congratulations on the title.
Ahhh yes another childish comeback.
The eagle soars and flies in peace and casts its shadow wide Across the land, across the seas, across the far-flung skies. The foolish think the eagle weak, and easy to bring to heel. The eagle's wings are silken, but its claws are made of steel. So be warned, you would-be hunters, attack it and you die, For the eagle stands for freedom, and that will always fly.

Darkness makes the sunlight so bright that our eyes blur with tears. Challenges remind us that we are capable of great things. Misery sharpens the edges of our joy. Life is hard. It is supposed to be.
Old October 12, 2001, 02:40   #182
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 10:30
Shiva: Buy a BIG notepad.

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old October 12, 2001, 02:42   #183
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

For the sake of this thread I will ask Shiva to direct his rants at me through PMs. No reason the rest of the forum should suffer any more of this piddly garbage.

Shiva: If you want any more responses from me in this thread, PM me. You obviously have some personal issues with me in your odd world you have made, so PM me. Most likely I'll find it not worth my time to reply...but you might surprise me by making sense or something.

Thanks.

Old October 12, 2001, 02:48   #184
Shiva
Prince

Quote:
For the sake of this thread I will ask Shiva to direct his rants at me through PMs. No reason the rest of the forum should suffer any more of this piddly garbage.

Shiva: If you want any more responses from me in this thread, PM me. You obviously have some personal issues with me in your odd world you have made, so PM me. Most likely I'll find it not worth my time to reply...but you might surprise me by making sense or something.

Thanks.
Sorry not going to waste my time with it. Funny how you didnt have an answer for the last arguement I posted. Guess that says it all
The eagle soars and flies in peace and casts its shadow wide Across the land, across the seas, across the far-flung skies. The foolish think the eagle weak, and easy to bring to heel. The eagle's wings are silken, but its claws are made of steel. So be warned, you would-be hunters, attack it and you die, For the eagle stands for freedom, and that will always fly.

Darkness makes the sunlight so bright that our eyes blur with tears. Challenges remind us that we are capable of great things. Misery sharpens the edges of our joy. Life is hard. It is supposed to be.
Old October 12, 2001, 02:51   #185
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

'Hey, how did that PM get posted here?'

Old October 12, 2001, 03:12   #186
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Yin, you are really boring me.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old October 12, 2001, 03:25   #187
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Ah, and the ever-thrilling Imran trolls in...

Old October 12, 2001, 03:26   #188
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 16:30
yin, what's with you today?
Old October 12, 2001, 03:31   #189
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Long or short version? LOL! For what it's worth, Firaxis has blown it with me, and there's a good chance I won't be buying this game at all. Does that matter to anybody else here? No.

So why am I still here? Just wrapping up a few things. It's kind of like that morbid curiosity to look at a car wreck. And I do want to be around to say "I told you so" just to piss off a few select people around here...but that's all in good fun. A lot of people have mediocre standards and will be happy, so life is easier for them and needlessly complicated for me.

As for 'today'? Well, lots of stress actually. But I won't bore you. Thanks for asking, though.

Old October 12, 2001, 03:34   #190
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Wonderful... so just leave already or bring your trolls somewhere else.

Some people are pissed about MP, and won't buy it, or cancel their preorders, but MOST Civ players are for the SP version.

You are a tired act. I've seen it too much.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old October 12, 2001, 03:35   #191
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

And I repeat: Imran's fresh material always send shivers down my spine.

Old October 12, 2001, 03:38   #192
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Yin26, et al.:

If Firaxis charges $59 for SP and people snap it up, fine. If they then want another $10 to $20 to put out an MP part later, I'm sure the folks who *want* MP will get it. Those of us who like SP only will stick with that.

Everyone wins. SP folks get what they want, and the MP folks get their high, too.

CYBERAmazon

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old October 12, 2001, 03:45   #193
Mannamagnus
Prince

Local Time: 15:30
Yin some time ago you were so pissed off with the game you decided to leave this forum and not come back. What made you change your mind and is there any chance you might reconsider?
Old October 12, 2001, 03:47   #194
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

LOL! Like I said, it's all morbid curiosity at this point...

Old October 12, 2001, 03:56   #195
Imran Siddiqui
staff

And I'm glad to see that Yin still can't respond to anything I say .
Old October 12, 2001, 04:00   #196
LaRusso
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Mannamagnus
Yin some time ago you were so pissed off with the game you decided to leave this forum and not come back. What made you change your mind and is there any chance you might reconsider?

hm, yin, what if the game turns out to be great? are you prepared to print your posts and eat them with some soya sauce?
Old October 12, 2001, 08:54   #197
Rasbelin
Emperor

What's the matter with Yin?
Looks like that old patriot has really gone wild
now. First preached about Civ III and piracy,
and it looks like has lost his mind.

I suppose you get nuts if you live a few years
in South Korea, if you're from US.

But anyway, back to the subject.

I will buy Civ III, even if it won't include MP or
I would have to buy an expansion CD.
Old October 12, 2001, 09:05   #198
drake
King

sure yin may have gotten out of hand, but the guys got principles atleast. Which is more than I can say for a lot of people round here
Old October 12, 2001, 09:05   #199
Rasbelin
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Mannamagnus
What made you change your mind and is there any chance you might reconsider?
Trying to get deity status, perhaps?
Old October 12, 2001, 09:50   #200
BigBopper
Chieftain

Local Time: 14:30
sorry, no time to read all the posts, so I may be repeating something.

FOOLS! HERITICS!, how dare you question the wisdom of the SID! I will sacrifice a cat at my alter to Firaxis that they may stay thier mighty wrath.

Oh, and if MP is that important to you, hold off and purchase the MP version that will be sure to come.
Old October 12, 2001, 10:02   #201
Grim Legacy
Prince

I actually consider a critical stance much more fruitful than any other. It might benefit the creators in the future (patches, add-ons, Civ4) and it might inspire the consumers to appreciate the game better. Being critical does not mean one is not enjoying the game.

What does strike me as odd is the worshipful attitude several people exhibit, which is ill-founded in my eyes, as there is no basis for it. The proof is in the pudding, and as of now, there is no pudding yet. So let's not surrender the guard beforehand shall we?
Old October 12, 2001, 10:10   #202
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

The real community-builder, the real social interaction is not in MP; it's in customisation. That's the only thing I really care about, plus decent basic gameplay. From what I see, that will be well catered for (Customisable governments and unit special abilities!).
Old October 12, 2001, 10:22   #203
SITS
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Snapcase
The real community-builder, the real social interaction is not in MP; it's in customisation. That's the only thing I really care about, plus decent basic gameplay. From what I see, that will be well catered for (Customisable governments and unit special abilities!).
Yet if you look at the forum posts you see 3 times more Civ2 MP posts than Civ2 Creation posts and about 14 times more MP posts in the SMAC forum.
'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna
Old October 12, 2001, 10:38   #204
Th0mas
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Lies, Damn lies and statistics....
Quote:
Originally posted by SITS

Yet if you look at the forum posts you see 3 times more Civ2 MP posts than Civ2 Creation posts and about 14 times more MP posts in the SMAC forum.
Well of course - it's one of the mediums that's used to communicate between different players during MP games (and very entertaining they can be )

...it's what kept me lurking for all those years

The Smac MP posts tend to be very boring "Turn 2143 passed to ar$eface2.." etc

This is a good example of how just looking at the numbers gives you an inaccurate picture.

6 years lurking, 5 minutes posting
Old October 12, 2001, 10:52   #205
Adm.Naismith
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Shiva
You really dont understan that most of the people who are going to buy this game never have or will vist here do you? You really dont understand that most people will have any idea that MP was going to be in it to start.
Many Games Magazines (on paper and on-line) usually cut some point from a game overall vote, if it can't be played in any MP form.

Some reviewers browse around sites like this to see what's happening with the game. It helps also to make a more detailed review when you are short on time to press .

Sure, many reviewers will stick with standard PR pre-cooked publisher leaflet and advertising, but some will be fair reviewing the game.

I'm not speaking about people who will buy or not the game just looking at the box

Many will probably like to consider different point of view, then make their choice. Some not, but I haven't anything against them, if only they admit I can have a different opinion.

BTW, I see a lot of abuse of the word "sheep", but sheeps are good animals, very useful for making wool and usually mentioned with good meanings in books as The Holy Bible.

OTOH, Black Sheeps...
"We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
- Admiral Naismith
Old October 12, 2001, 10:56   #206
drake
King

Could it be because organized religion is the ultimate herd of sheep?

Old October 12, 2001, 11:12   #207
Adm.Naismith
King

Quote:
Originally posted by drake
Could it be because organized religion is the ultimate herd of sheep?

My, I was trying to chill down a bit the debate when you raise a Religion War! Not here, not now
Old October 12, 2001, 11:14   #208
drake
King

Just poking fun Adam....
a religous debate is the LAST thing I'd want to do!
Old October 12, 2001, 11:47   #209
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 07:30
Quote:
So I would say: 'It's not that important' unless you've spent the last two years of a lot of your free time to try to help the company get some great ideas...only to be basically blown aside.
The only people who feel this way are the MP people or people who seem to have expected EVERYTHING they want be implemented. Many, many people who are not MP players have spent just as much time giving ideas, and they are excited about the product coming out. You can't speak for everyone here.

And again, it's Firaxis's game, not anyone elses. They don't have an obligation to implement ANY suggestions, but they have implemented MANY. Making blanket statements that they "blew aside" the Civ fans is false.

Quote:
. But will alienating a core group of your most die hard fans eventually bite you in the butt?
I see nothing that shows they've done this. They vast majority of die hard Civ fans are not MP players.

It's funny how you harp on how ungrateful and Firaxis is toward the fans. I see the opposite, ungrateful people ripping on Firaxis. The mere fact that Dan is here so much and does answer so many questions is far more than I ever would have expected. Certainly more than other game companies do.

Quote:
Of course, the tumble-weed posters here who invested nothing in this process the past 2 years are rolling in here with their b.s., uninformed attitude that there is nothing to complain about. I suppose if I had ignored Civ3 the past 2 years I'd feel the same way.
In no way does your length of time here in any way make your opinion or feelings more valid than theirs. By this logic, I can say that since I've played Civ since the original first came out, my opinion is more valid than people who started with Civ II. This is not true and utterly pointless to bring up.

Cheers.
Old October 12, 2001, 12:13   #210
Ozymandous
Prince

Local Time: 09:30
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Well...
Quote:
Originally posted by Shiva

Naaa its just one of the terms I see tossed around too much and it just rubs me the wrong way.
Rubs you the wrong way?

Don't get twigs and/or laves in your wool, they are hell to get out..

(And I will not comment on sheep and rubbing the wrong way, rofl!)