Old October 30, 2001, 08:23   #121
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 16:32
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
General Armond Braddock
-from battlezone 2. the character's history is base on the one in the game. from Scientist to military General
Wow! He has a first name!
It's never been mentioned before. I've thought about giving him one, but I never quite agreed with myself on what it should be. This works!

Quote:
Commander (now general it seems) Cooke
-the main character the player was playing in Battlezone 2
Well, I came to the conclusion that it would be kind of strange if Braddock was the only general, so I decided to promote Cooke and Grafton and add one or two more who haven't been introduced yet. Braddock is still the top dog though.
Old October 30, 2001, 08:50   #122
[LordLMP]

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. President
I like that "Crazy Fascist" one, DarkCloud. You don't know me, do you?

And LMP, glad to see you appreciate WarCraft II. You named another character Stromgarde, didn't you? I think their king was Thoras Trollbane, so his name wouldn't really be appropriate for this game. Maybe Terenas or Perenolde, though?

I use a lot of Scandinavian names, just because I think they sound cool. Michael Johansen, the name of the Morganic Industrial Co-Ordinator and Morgan's third-in-command, was also the name of a Danish soccer player who played for Bolton Wanderers until a couple of years ago. Our Defense Minister, Michelle Pellegrino, carries a Spanish name that I heard somewhere and rather liked. I also have a rather small cast of characters, it seems; Aron Fleischer (a caricature of the White House Press Secretary - you knew his name reminded you of something) is not involved much. But I do have plans for Matt Svensson of the Special Forces when the Alien Crossfire begins. A while ago I went through a period of basing my characters on myself and/or people I knew, but it didn't really work out.

I also used Gilneas in the Admin, but haven't really use tha character in the game yet. I have the Warcraft 2 manual, just like the Kingdoms name I got Larionov from the cover of some book i have seen when i was young. Don't know who it was, but i use that name for treacherous characters ...which in the game, he is still at Prison Island...been there for awhile now. As far as i am concerned, no other faction knows of the place yet :P

Another thing, PCB will be inbetween the Usurpers and the Caretakers

-LMP
Old October 30, 2001, 15:03   #123
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Local Time: 09:32
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. President
On an unrelated note, I think it's cool that once again a city called Athens is making trouble for a state called Sparta. Who says history doesn't repeat itself?
This is the result of the last time that happened.

Quote:
By 413 Athens's forces were demolished. In 411 an oligarchy briefly took power. When democratic leaders were restored by the navy later that year, they refused Spartan peace offers, and the war continued until 405, when the Athenian navy was destroyed at the Battle of Aegospotami with Persian help. Under blockade, Athens surrendered in 404. Its empire was dismantled, and the Spartans installed the Thirty Tyrants.
Those who fail to understand history are doomed to repeat it.

LMP: The map I have has Athens two squares inside Spartan terriory. Is there a Drone base that I do not know about? Cause that is what I have based my "ramblings" on.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Sprayber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2001, 15:56   #124
Clear Skies
Prince

Local Time: 14:32
All my character names are either made up myself (Helena Dewarden, for example) or taken out of the official SMAC/X stories (Miyuki Gamma-4).

And if DarkCloud's based Zak on himself....whoa keep him away from me!
"Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman
Clear Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2001, 16:03   #125
[LordLMP]

Quote:
Originally posted by Sprayber

This is the result of the last time that happened.

Those who fail to understand history are doomed to repeat it.

LMP: The map I have has Athens two squares inside Spartan terriory. Is there a Drone base that I do not know about? Cause that is what I have based my "ramblings" on.

*blinks* I just realized something... i deleted SMAX sunday so i have room for other games...done so without thinking that i needed the game for CC... and deleted the CC map with it.... stupid me

only one i know that as the lastest up to date map is Bearcat....
Thank God i was smart enough to make the coordinates thing :P

anyway, i updated the map by putting some bases by the request of Bearcat. When I place them, it entered Athen Outpost one square within the Free Drone territory.

-LMP
Old October 30, 2001, 16:07   #126
[LordLMP]

I thought the Spartans was the bad guys :P oh well... Svensgaard never expected to keep the Athen Outpost for this long. Only got the outpost established to annoy the Spartans and eventually coax them to warfare... but the Place is legal and the territory wasn't Officially and Legally claimed by the Spartans. Gives the pirates a foot on the continent so they can strike at the spartans with ground units whenever a war happens with them.

-LMp
Old October 30, 2001, 16:21   #127
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

Bad guys?

Let's see... the Hive, the Spartans, and to some extent the Believers and the University all fit into that category as far as the Peacekeepers are concerned...

-but are there any good guys left at all??!?
Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2001, 21:13   #128
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by [LordLMP]
I thought the Spartans was the bad guys :P oh well... Svensgaard never expected to keep the Athen Outpost for this long. Only got the outpost established to annoy the Spartans and eventually coax them to warfare... but the Place is legal and the territory wasn't Officially and Legally claimed by the Spartans. Gives the pirates a foot on the continent so they can strike at the spartans with ground units whenever a war happens with them.

-LMp

Hmm in the game when a faction increases their territory all improvements go to that faction. Sensors, mines, stuff like that. I wonder if that kind of thing would be covered in a charter?

I'll check my map again.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old October 30, 2001, 22:24   #129
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

SMAC- I fixed the "Reputation"-Repetition debacle.

And, yes, he is based upon myself

Quote:
I like that "Crazy Fascist" one, DarkCloud. You don't know me, do you?
Don't know you? How so?
The only reason I said he was a Crazy Fascist is because Fascists are proud and good people... Or at least the political philosophy at heart (like communism) is good... Ian just takes Fascism to the Nazi level at times.

Zakharov is the true Fascist. He wants good for ALL his people, although he absolutely hates the cyborgs who refuse to rejoin him; he wishes to reunite all the factions under his ideals; not necessarily himself, but at least with his ideals- and if no one else expresses the ideals- then he must take them up himself.

He sees the Hive as misguided and the Peackeepers as interferers with the natural process of selection of the fittest faction and peoples.
Old October 31, 2001, 00:25   #130
[LordLMP]

Quote:
Originally posted by Guardian
Bad guys?

Let's see... the Hive, the Spartans, and to some extent the Believers and the University all fit into that category as far as the Peacekeepers are concerned...

-but are there any good guys left at all??!?
Svensgaard is a good guy

-LMP
Old October 31, 2001, 03:22   #131
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

Quote:

Svensgaard is a good guy

-LMP
Of course...

And of course, technically, there aren't any bad guys.
It's not a matter of who you are, it's your actions and your words that count.

Quote:

Hmm in the game when a faction increases their territory all improvements go to that faction. Sensors, mines, stuff like that. I wonder if that kind of thing would be covered in a charter?
Eh...

What exactly are you talking about here???
Old October 31, 2001, 03:56   #132
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkCloud

The only reason I said he was a Crazy Fascist is because Fascists are proud and good people... Or at least the political philosophy at heart (like communism) is good... Ian just takes Fascism to the Nazi level at times.
Now this could make for an interesting discussion some time...
I'm with you as far as communism goes, but I must admit, I have a hard time seeing anything good about fascism. I've never really studied the philosophy though, so perhaps you know something I'm ignoring? Oh, and just for the record, I know the nazis did a lot of good for the German people. If it hadn't been for their total lack of tolerance for anyone who was "different" and the fact that they declared themselves the "master race" and set out to destroy everyone else in order to prove it, they might not have been so bad...

Quote:
Zakharov is the true Fascist. He wants good for ALL his people, although he absolutely hates the cyborgs who refuse to rejoin him; he wishes to reunite all the factions under his ideals; not necessarily himself, but at least with his ideals- and if no one else expresses the ideals- then he must take them up himself.
Sounds like Zakharov's agenda is somewhat similar to Lal's in some respects.
However, Lal hates no one.

Quote:
He sees the Hive as misguided and the Peacekeepers as interferers with the natural process of selection of the fittest faction and peoples.
Ah, yes, the Peacekeepers will be interfering lots and lots and then some more...
They think it's part of what being human is all about.
Old October 31, 2001, 09:19   #133
[LordLMP]

Quote:

Of course...

And of course, technically, there aren't any bad guys.
It's not a matter of who you are, it's your actions and your words that count.

Eh...

What exactly are you talking about here???
Lets say someone establishes a base smack dab next to your border... that border line there would change...giving the one who establish the base more territory from yours. If you have to have a Sensor Array, Bunker, farm, mine, etc there, then you would have to give that up.

Cheap and sneaky way to take territory from another faction. But in CC, the faction who is losing territory may not want to give that terrtitory up :P

Read Dragon Sun yet? Shows a good example of a territorial dispute between the Gaians and Morganites

-LMP
Old October 31, 2001, 09:30   #134
[LordLMP]

Svensgaard believes in freedom and freedom to roam the seas. He cares a lot about his faction and a lot of the things he does is base on keeping his people safe from any threats. But he is devious, sneaky, and territorial. He cares more about his faction then any others, but will help other people that asks... ala Kane Evecuation.

Anyway, i went back to the admin (3) thread... we need to create a new...yes again :P I saw Darkcloud's post at the end of it.....
Darkcloud! don't put numbers on my stats :P

As for how many unis one faction can have... well, i was thinking to use a little simple system using smax and Master of Orion 2 stats. Command Points...

One point per unit... The command points will be base on Support, Industry and Economy... no? Hard to calculate how much minerals a faction makes in total in CC.

Taking the Pirates for example... their Support is 0 and they have 31 bases... that equals to 62 free units, 62 Command Points.

......will finish this later, have to go else i will be late.... but think about it and want to keep it SIMPLE, not some Mathematic formula gibberish.

-LMP
Old October 31, 2001, 13:14   #135
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

Quote:

Lets say someone establishes a base smack dab next to your border... that border line there would change...giving the one who establish the base more territory from yours. If you have to have a Sensor Array, Bunker, farm, mine, etc there, then you would have to give that up.

Cheap and sneaky way to take territory from another faction. But in CC, the faction who is losing territory may not want to give that terrtitory up :P

Read Dragon Sun yet? Shows a good example of a territorial dispute between the Gaians and Morganites

-LMP
Okay, now I'm with you. (Duh... )

But... a border doesn't just move around on it's own in real life, now does it?
I mean... well, as you say, the faction in the receiving end might not stand for it.

Actually, I haven't read any of the books yet. I'm hearing great things about them though, so I suppose I should get my hands on them one of these days...
Old October 31, 2001, 15:02   #136
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

LMP- number caps... we would need some- but then again your system seems to be useful; but 62 units seems sort of equal and correct- but a bit too few considering there will be about 2-3 defending units for each city. 31 Bases! How did that happen!

What about this type of Command Points:

SUPPORT*Number of Cities*Economy*Population/ Money given to technology/market

Guardian- I am convinced that Fascism, if it did not persecute against any group of people and was not severely nationalistic, could work. I have not studied it much, but, I see that a democratic lawful police-state could fund itself and various social programs for the lawful poor.
Old October 31, 2001, 15:19   #137
Clear Skies
Prince

O...k, so basic human liberties, rights and freedoms mean absolutely nothing to you then...

Really, don't get me started with this. My Politics teacher ADORES playing devil's advocate and I had an hour-long argument with him over this.
"Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman
Clear Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2001, 15:21   #138
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
Svensgaard believes in freedom and freedom to roam the seas. He cares a lot about his faction and a lot of the things he does is base on keeping his people safe from any threats. But he is devious, sneaky, and territorial. He cares more about his faction then any others, but will help other people that asks... ala Kane Evecuation.
Well, the Spartans would say that Sven only beleives about Pirate freedom to move around the seas(and maybe those who prop up his ego). And from Pirate actions, could you really blame them for thinking that. Now Sven may think he believes in freedom. As for the Spartans, It would be interesting to note that the Spartans only started going off to far corners of the planet(except to establish that outpost in the far north on no ones territory) when the Pirates put Athens down. It may be a case of Sven creating a Spartan boogy man to justify the Pirates defending the seas.
Old November 1, 2001, 03:54   #139
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

Well, the Peacekeepers would say that they've tried the peaceful co-existance thing with Sparta and that the results were rather hideous...

Perhaps the Spartans haven't been going off to far corners of the planet for very long, but they've sure managed to make a hell of a mess on the Eastern Continent!

Yes, it is a long time ago, but the PKs still don't trust Sparta.
They basically figure that the Pirates have been trying to contain Spartan aggression and that such action is acceptable because the alternative is so much worse...
Old November 1, 2001, 09:55   #140
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
Well, the Peacekeepers would say that they've tried the peaceful co-existance thing with Sparta and that the results were rather hideous...

Perhaps the Spartans haven't been going off to far corners of the planet for very long, but they've sure managed to make a hell of a mess on the Eastern Continent!

Yes, it is a long time ago, but the PKs still don't trust Sparta.
They basically figure that the Pirates have been trying to contain Spartan aggression and that such action is acceptable because the alternative is so much worse...
They better start thinking about how the Pirates are going to start the next war. Unless that's what the PKs really want..
Old November 1, 2001, 10:02   #141
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

Nope. They don't want that... they just don't see the Pirates as "starting" much of anything...
Old November 1, 2001, 10:19   #142
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
Nope. They don't want that... they just don't see the Pirates as "starting" much of anything...
Well, i suppose you guys will be surprised then. cause Sparta is going to go on about its business, and sooner or later the pirates will go too far. but they are going to make the pirates fire the first shot. (which they will) maybe the pks can stop thinking in past tense, cause the spartans don't..
Old November 1, 2001, 10:27   #143
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

We'll see...

You might have had an easier time getting your message through if your representatives hadn't been running around accusing us of "starting things" also...

Many of our people feel that is just so plainly bull, they don't even listen when you complain about the Pirates...
Old November 1, 2001, 11:20   #144
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

Quote:

maybe the pks can stop thinking in past tense, cause the spartans don't..
Then how come you're always talking about what the UN did wrong way back on Earth?
Old November 1, 2001, 14:56   #145
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:

Then how come you're always talking about what the UN did wrong way back on Earth?
Cause we're trying to get the PKs to think a little beyond their black and white outlook.

That and Solo likes to push the Ambassadors buttons.
Old November 1, 2001, 16:48   #146
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

Well, the Peacekeepers feel their outlook is anything but black and white...

Spartan relations are kind of special though...

I suppose you could call that black and white, but it's like that for a reason and the reason wasn't our creation...

Of course, that doesn't make it right and just, but if it can save a few thousand civilians...

Like I said, we don't trust Sparta at all.
Old November 1, 2001, 21:04   #147
[LordLMP]

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkCloud
LMP- number caps... we would need some- but then again your system seems to be useful; but 62 units seems sort of equal and correct- but a bit too few considering there will be about 2-3 defending units for each city. 31 Bases! How did that happen!
Darkcloud, I wasn't finish :P and i had to go. 62 is the amount of free Units the Pirates can Have. So 62 free Command Points. That is the obvious and the easiest to find out.
As for the 31 bases, just did

Quote:
What about this type of Command Points:

SUPPORT*Number of Cities*Economy*Population/ Money given to technology/market
hmm, that won't work. Will take quite some work to acquire the total amount of people each faction as, even a general number. Same with Money... do that, then we would have to update it all of the time and it is simply tome consuming...for me anyway and I am lazy in such things

Was thinking to give bonuses to social engineering base on the tech and secret project you have... Industrial Automation is a big one... i say it removes any negative Industry... for the Pirates case, instead of -2 Industry, it will be Zero. Then there is Industrial Economics, Planetary Economics, techs that gives bonuses to how much resources you can acquire.

Also, the Pirates have Mineral/Energy/Nutrient bonuses in water squares...and i have mention they use Supply Crawlers/ships like that mining operation west of Mount Planet, Geothermal Shallows, and Fossil Field Ridge.

lets see...

For each Borehole = 5 command points

Freebies = Support x Number of Bases

For each Obelisk = 2 Command Points

The Ruins = 20 Command Points

New Sargasso = 2 x # of bases there or nearby (within radius or supply)

Borehole Cluster = 3 x Number of Bases

Fossil Field Ridge = 2 x Number of Bases there/nearby bases using supply ships

Mount Planet = 2 x Number of Bases there

...for example

not sure how to do this.

-LMP
Old November 1, 2001, 21:11   #148
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:

Was thinking to give bonuses to social engineering base on the tech and secret project you have... Industrial Automation is a big one... i say it removes any negative Industry... for the Pirates case, instead of -2 Industry, it will be Zero. Then there is Industrial Economics, Planetary Economics, techs that gives bonuses to how much resources you can acquire.
So the Spartans -1 Industry would be gone to uh? That works for me...
Old November 1, 2001, 21:19   #149
[LordLMP]

Quote:

Well, the Spartans would say that Sven only beleives about Pirate freedom to move around the seas(and maybe those who prop up his ego). And from Pirate actions, could you really blame them for thinking that. Now Sven may think he believes in freedom. As for the Spartans, It would be interesting to note that the Spartans only started going off to far corners of the planet(except to establish that outpost in the far north on no ones territory) when the Pirates put Athens down. It may be a case of Sven creating a Spartan boogy man to justify the Pirates defending the seas.

The Pirates knew how the Spartan society is...where in some areas, it is similar. Svensgaard knew since the Factions early infiltration of the Spartans that they would be a strong oponent, aswell as a good ally. but so far, the Spartans doesn't provide Svensgaard enough reasons to try to make friends with them. Aslong as the Spartans is limited to their continent, the Pirates are happy

Anyway, after the purge by the Spartan intelligence before the internal problems came up badly weaken the Pirates infiltration efforts. But was able to improve the Infiltration efforts during the problems and during the Spartans short period of Probe vulneribility after the War, where Kessel got the Intelligence purged and the Head of Intel...and Kessel's reorganization of the Government and so on. So, the Pirates have infiltrated the Spartans quite well....but not to the point to know every single secret thing and the infiltrators avoid Sparta Command. The Infiltrators only report to Nautilus Command over important big things thats needs to be immediatel reported. But, other then that, they keep minimal contact with the Pirates to avoid detection...

anyway :P Easier for the Pirates to infiltrate the Spartans then the Spartans to infiltrate the Pirates :P Hard to sneak in Pirate Bases in general due to bases locations, being remote and Pirate Navy agressively patrols and quite suspicious of merchants

-LMP
Old November 1, 2001, 21:23   #150
[LordLMP]

Quote:

They better start thinking about how the Pirates are going to start the next war. Unless that's what the PKs really want..
Says who the Pirates will start the War?

-LMP