Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 16:35
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Screenshot of the week: Histograph
http://www.civ3.com/images/screenshots/histo_1.jpg
Old October 12, 2001, 11:37   #2
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

I checked that out when I answered the trivia. It is hard to see how mush points one civ have, but I believe it is a quite good way of seeing how good you are.
Old October 12, 2001, 11:38   #3
Jason Beaudoin
Prince

Local Time: 09:35
Great shot! There's more information there than meets the eye!

Like, I'm wondering... there's a simultaneous pike in the graph, in between 2000BC and 1000BC... I'm wondering what occured? Did everyone suddenly discover an important tech, or where maps suddenly shared?
Old October 12, 2001, 11:47   #4
Stuie
King

Local Time: 10:35
Quote:
Originally posted by Jason Beaudoin
Like, I'm wondering... there's a simultaneous pike in the graph, in between 2000BC and 1000BC... I'm wondering what occured? Did everyone suddenly discover an important tech, or where maps suddenly shared?
Looks to me like the Aztecs spiked, and everyone else just got pushed to the right to make room. Then the Aztecs faltered and the Greeks expanded, so the Americans and Aztecs got pushed to the left as the Aztecs declined, the Greeks widened, and the other four Civs on the right remained somewhat constant (as the Greeks took over the space previously occupied by the Aztecs).

So in summary - this type of graph is difficult to read!!
Old October 12, 2001, 11:48   #5
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason Beaudoin
Great shot! There's more information there than meets the eye!

Actually it seem to me as the player (Aztecs) made something very important and pushed away the others (as each row represent 100% of the total score.)
Old October 12, 2001, 11:50   #6
Stuie
King

Local Time: 10:35
Quote:
Originally posted by Gramphos

Actually it seem to me as the player (Aztecs) made something very important and pushed away the others (as each row represent 100% of the total score.)
Wish I could have put it so succinctly.

Ooh, yippee, I'm a warlord now. :|
Old October 12, 2001, 11:51   #7
Asesino_Virtual
Warlord

Local Time: 11:35
As somebody must already know coz a thread that i posted and "someone" closed,... we waited all the week for such a bad picture.

Dan...
Old October 12, 2001, 11:56   #8
Asesino_Virtual
Warlord

Local Time: 11:35
Quote:
Originally posted by Stuie

Ooh, yippee, I'm a warlord now. :|
Contratulations Stuie, welcome abroad!
Old October 12, 2001, 12:07   #9
August Borms
Prince

Local Time: 15:35
Bad picture?! It's a great picture!

It's nice to know things like histographs are in!
Old October 12, 2001, 12:19   #10
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by Assur
Bad picture?! It's a great picture!

It's nice to know things like histographs are in!
We already knew that. We have seen a histograph before.
Old October 12, 2001, 12:43   #11
Lemmy
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Spartans
King

Quote:
From screenshot :
Score is used to determine the winner when time runs out.
Your overall score is the average of you scores on each turn
it's better than the old score system, but it is done per turn, and we all know there are a lot more turn late in the game the early in the game (though that can probably be edited).
Being bigger late in the game gets you a higher score, so Civ's with a late CSU have a greater chance of winning the game based on score.
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!
Old October 12, 2001, 12:46   #12
Ralf
King

The histograph-screen (same as demographics, i guess) has both graphical and numerical feedback, and its seems to be much more fleshed out that the SMAC-equivalent.

Good.

By the way: Anyone else curious about those dropdown-menu alternatives? Perhaps some Firaxian could post a 1-line listing of them. I guess that the Score-section changes subsequently for each Show-alternative?
Old October 12, 2001, 12:48   #13
Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

Quote:
Originally posted by Lemmy

it's better than the old score system, but it is done per turn, and we all know there are a lot more turn late in the game the early in the game (though that can probably be edited).
Being bigger late in the game gets you a higher score, so Civ's with a late CSU have a greater chance of winning the game based on score.
"being bigger late in the game" does not necessarily get you a higher score. Score is calculated as an average of your relative power throughout the entire game. Thus, if you were a small isolationist civ for the first half of the game, you can't just put on a good show for the last 50 turns and expect that will make up for it.

Dan
Old October 12, 2001, 12:49   #14
Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

Quote:
Originally posted by Ralf
The histograph-screen (same as demographics, i guess) has both graphical and numerical feedback, and its seems to be much more fleshed out that the SMAC-equivalent.

Good.

By the way: Anyone else curious about those dropdown-menu alternatives? Perhaps some Firaxian could post a 1-line listing of them. I guess that the Score-section changes subsequently for each Show-alternative?
You can view the histo by score (an overall computed average, factoring in pretty much everything in the game), power (essentially military strength), or culture (self-explanatory).

Dan
Old October 12, 2001, 12:49   #15
Ralf
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Gramphos
We already knew that. We have seen a histograph before.
That older screenshot wasnt the in-game Histograph - it was the after-game Summary Replay. I agree though that they are very closely related.
Old October 12, 2001, 12:56   #16
Lemmy
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Spartans
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Magaha FIRAXIS

"being bigger late in the game" does not necessarily get you a higher score. Score is calculated as an average of your relative power throughout the entire game. Thus, if you were a small isolationist civ for the first half of the game, you can't just put on a good show for the last 50 turns and expect that will make up for it.

Dan
i wasn't exactly clear in my last post, what i meant with late in the game was from the time you enter the modern age till the end, i get the feeling that there are more turns you can play in the modern age then in any other age. So if you're powerful in the modern age, you get a better chance at winning.

and thanks for the list, i actually clicked on the arrow to try and open the drop-down menu force of habit i guess...
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!
Old October 12, 2001, 12:57   #17
Ozymandous
Prince

Any chance the Hostograph can be rotated to read from left to right as opposed to top to bottom?

In AOE & AOK it's much easier to read from left to right as opposed to here.
Old October 12, 2001, 13:00   #18
Ralf
King

Quote:
You can view the histo by score (an overall computed average, factoring in pretty much everything in the game), power (essentially military strength), or culture (self-explanatory).
Good enough for me. Come to think of it; I dont what else one could possibly want to view graphically.

Dan - while Im at it: Is it possible to save/reload Summary Replay's as standalone files? (still requiring Civ-3 installed, obviously). If NOT - thats not "the end of the world" - Im just curious if its possible, thats all.
Old October 12, 2001, 13:06   #19
Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

Quote:

Good enough for me. Come to think of it; I dont what else one could possibly want to view graphically.

Dan - while Im at it: Is it possible to save/reload Summary Replay's as standalone files? (still requiring Civ-3 installed, obviously). If NOT - thats not "the end of the world" - Im just curious if its possible, thats all.
Right now, that feature isn't in the game. I don't know if there are plans to make that happen or not. I have mentioned the idea to the team on a few occasions myself, so who knows.

Dan
Old October 12, 2001, 13:48   #20
tniem
King

Quote:
Want to explain how this works? I mean the numbers or equation that is used to determine how it works.

Thanks.
Old October 12, 2001, 13:57   #21
Ralf
King

Quote:
Right now, that feature isn't in the game. I don't know if there are plans to make that happen or not. I have mentioned the idea to the team on a few occasions myself, so who knows.
Well, if not sooner - give the team yet another reminder then its time to work on that expected Civ-3 expansion-pack.

I think it would be nice to be able to download & replay other peoples replay-files, in order to compare oneself with others. Not all customers have the time/ the hardware/ the will to dabble with online MP.
Maybe also with an "After-action report" text area, that automatically displays whatever the replay-file providing player have commented in some added txt-file. A second best solution would be to make swithing back-and-forth to Windows easy and painless (I assume thats already possible in Civ-3).
Old October 12, 2001, 14:04   #22
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 08:35
Quote:
Want to explain how this works? I mean the numbers or equation that is used to determine how it works.
Well, in the shot at the lower right, it states "your overall score is the average of your score each turn" I assume that it adds up your scores for each turn and divides by the number of turns.
Old October 12, 2001, 14:14   #23
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Quote:
That older screenshot wasnt the in-game Histograph - it was the after-game Summary Replay. I agree though that they are very closely related.
How about this one?
Old October 12, 2001, 14:43   #24
connorkimbro
Emperor

Local Time: 08:35
Quote:
Good news!!!

Quote:
Right now, that feature isn't in the game.
Dammit!! That would be the most important part!! The end of game replay is a nice bit of fluff, and is good to have, but it's REAL functionality is to share game histories and replays with other people. Perhaps the casual gamer won't do this, but those of us really into strategy like to get into the details of the game, and we like to analyze other peoples games, etc. With civ2, we've been having to do that manually! Hopefully, a patch or something will add that?

-theonion.com