View Poll Results: Which faction is the object of your hate?
Gaians 2 1.41%
Hive 20 14.08%
University 2 1.41%
Morganities 1 0.70%
Spartans 2 1.41%
Believers 68 47.89%
Peacekeepers 12 8.45%
Cyborgs 5 3.52%
Data Angels 4 2.82%
Pirates 10 7.04%
Drones 3 2.11%
Cult 7 4.93%
Usurpers 3 2.11%
Caretakers 3 2.11%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 12, 2001, 14:10   #1
Cybergod
Prince

Local Time: 15:35
Local Date: October 31, 2010
What is your most hated faction?
I know that there was a thread on this a LONG time ago, when I signed up , but now that we have a 16 option poll in I fell it can be done better...

So who is the most annoying b*tch/SOB/critter on Planet? Vote and post your reasons here.
Old October 12, 2001, 15:04   #2
knowhow2
King

Pirates.......

The only faction that forces you to have seaunits (attacking) especially when it comes to "cleaning up" for conquest. Takes ages to empty millions and millions of seabases
Old October 12, 2001, 15:43   #3
Sir Hawkeye
Chieftain

Local Time: 14:35
spartans. Just not nice people, and they tend to get Doc:flex early and clog the oceans. Pirates of course, do the same, but they seem to be more pleasant about it (and they've got that groth penalty).
Old October 12, 2001, 16:17   #4
Ironwood
Prince

Local Time: 07:35
Ah, what's wrong with the Spartans? I've generally found them to be about as agreeable as, say, the... hmm. You know, of the erratic civs, the Spartans are the worst.

Miriam and Yang must die, hands down. I voted for Yang, simply because I find his collectivist ideolgoy distasteful in the extreem. Miriam is almost as bad; it was a hard choice.

But the Spartans are probably next in line, if only because Santiago doesn't like my playing style. She's nice enough, up to the point where I get access to Value: Knowledge (or Wealth when playing Morgan). Then she b!tches about my "weapons research program" to no end. Zhakarov like me, of corse.

Of corse, if I *play* the Spartans, diplomatically speaking, I am untouchable. My only enemies are Miriam and Yang. Lal likes my democracy, Zhakarov likes my pursuit of knowledge, and Dirdre and Morgan in the later game like my economic choice, since I tend to alternate between Free Market and Green... and besides that, they're pacificsts, so they just suck it up, for the most part.
Take me as I am.
Old October 12, 2001, 16:25   #5
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 17:35
I too had a hard selection of Yang and Miriam. And ended up with Miriam.
In short:

- Do not trust.
- Do not turn your back, until she is done for.
- Do not subjugate her - scorch New Jerusalem down to nothingness.
- Do not allow her to grow too big, even if an ally
- Do not allow her to get too cozy with Yang, instead try to get them fighting at each other.
Old October 12, 2001, 16:30   #6
Xian
Warlord

how you can hate yang is beyond me...

Miraiam EASILY, especially when she just shows up and demands you give her stuff for no reason

betrayed me TWICE as a subjugated ally

The only faction to ever try to planet bust me
Old October 12, 2001, 17:27   #7
Earwicker
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 09:35
I can't believe I'm the only one who voted for backstabbing Lal so far! He is a colossal PIA. Untrustworthy. One of the few real challenges for governorship. Can amass good research to reach OSF. Is scummy enough to launch a pre-emptive first strike of PB's. Will frequently and inexplicably fight to the last man, despite the noble behavior and intentions of his opponent .
Old October 12, 2001, 17:38   #8
Cybergod
Prince

Let me be original and vote for the good old b*tch Dee . Why? She acts all nice and peaceful and then turns seething, even while I run Green, and eventually bribes everyone around me, even my back-stabbing allies, against me. Also, she was the only one to launch, not one, but TWO, PB attacks against me!!! And I thought the Greens were against nuclear research! Oh yeah, and when she said that signing a pact with me me would beletting me continue my unethical experiments just sealed her fate for the rest of my games, I always look out for the green loony and stike with empaths .

Oh yeah, and Miriam too
Old October 12, 2001, 18:22   #9
Panzer
Warlord

This was a though decision between Yang and Miriam, but I eventually settled on Miriam. I simply had to many bad experiences with her. She was also the first faction I ever completely destroyed withput showing any mercy. I slaughtered every last one of them. Yang is a bloodthirsty warmongering b*****d too, but at least he doesn't hide it beneath a veil of righteousness. Dee is a backstabbing b****. Every time I'm too powerful she'll betray me. I'm playing a game now where she has teamed up with Yang, fortunaly all the others are either subjugated or allied with me. I'm producing a few PBs right now, so I can surprise them with some fireworks.
Old October 12, 2001, 18:49   #10
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 08:35
I also hate the believers since they annoy you but rarely have any good bases or tech to take.
Old October 12, 2001, 19:38   #11
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 03:35
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Of the SMAC factions (and the one I voted for)
Santiago!
Miriam doesn't know any better...
I respect AI Yang because it atleast puts up a fight.
But Santiago is just an annoying right wing lunatic with something against wealth.

Of the SMAX factions:
Caretakers.
Old October 12, 2001, 21:55   #12
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 11:35
well i reeeeallly hate the bugs and miriam, but i don't play with them so i don't have to worry. i like yang kinda, as long as he's not in my games. santiago is a PIA but she can easily be taken care of because she doesnt terraform...enough. i think for me it comes down to either fungboy or the drones.

fungboy because he'll be seething even if i run green, always gets the command nexus, and ALWAYS has the largest continent which he fills with his worthless stupid named bases! he is just a general PIA though not as much as miriam.

i hate domai too. not because he is always at war with me or anything, or because he poses a threat to my...anything. but he'll just sit far away in another corner of the earth, (ALWAYS) stay in a treaty the whole game, never declare war on anyone, not give me any of his tech(where he got it beats the hell out of me) and take my SP's. then when i've conquered everyone else into a submissive pacts, he foils my plans for diplo victory. if i do win, then he defies the concil even though i havn't atrocitied (inveted word) him, myself, or anyone else.

i think my vote is for domai
Old October 12, 2001, 22:56   #13
bobyk464
Chieftain

Had to cast my vote for Yang. He's always in your face, and the AI plays him well enough to make him a serious threat.

But let's say this - I admire Yang and Miriam for the integrity and cohesiveness they exhibit. Their confessions and their actions are aligned. Airtight packages, both.

Deidre and Lal are terrible hypocrites. Deidre will run plenty of eco-damage and launch a pre-emptive PB strike when those things work to her advantage. And Lal will ignore the charter that he so self-righteously parades around when it's convenient to do so.
Old October 12, 2001, 23:48   #14
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 00:35
I voted for Lal. For one thing, his whimpering humanitarianism makes me retch. For another thing, he always turns hostile around the year 2400, no matter if you've been using Democracy forever. At least Yang and Miriam will like you if you use Police State and Fundamentalism respectively.

It was hard not to vote for Miriam because of her inexplicable intransigence and the fact that she was the first and so far the only computer-controlled player to use nuclear weapons against me.
Old October 13, 2001, 01:51   #15
Zakharov VII
Warlord

Local Time: 06:35
::stands up, scribbles on brown paper, looks up somberly, holds up paper::

"Lal. He rarly will Pact with me, or trade techs with me, even though he tips his hat to me often, and he also does his very best to steal Governership from me. He also is the most trecherous, and has the lowest moral standards. If I'm not in the running for governership, he's the first one to go so low as to bribe me...

"And when I don't give him what he wants, he says friendship is a two way street. Well, I don't see anything coming my way, so why should I give to him?"

::snuffs out torch::

"Lal, the council has chosen. You have been voted off Alpha Centauri. You must leave immediately. Goodbye."

I wish!

Z
Old October 13, 2001, 05:49   #16
Vytae
Warlord

Miriam,hands down. Yang,Miriam and Lal have Pbed me before,so i couldnt choose from that. Yang clogs up the ocean all to hell,but so does lal. Yang however is just downright mean,and i respect that. Miriam vs Lal,they are both self righteous bastards. Lal however rarely ever attacks me. He *****es up one side and down being a total hypocrite but rarely ever attacks. And when subdued,STAYS subdued.

Miriam,thinks its fun to ship load after load after load of impact infantry at me,somehow getting past patrolling warships or the like. She backstabs me any chance she gets,and the religous ranting is tiring even when she is subdued. ANd shes votile,she attacks on site unless you give in to her outrageous demands.
Old October 13, 2001, 07:07   #17
Clear Skies
Prince

It's SUCH a harrrrd choice...

(This thread actually fits quite nicely with the Do You Take SMAC/X Personally thread!)

Eventually I chose Miriam because she pees me off right from the start, although if you read my post in the aforementioned thread I have issues with almost every single faction! Aki is about the only one with whom I have no barney...

However, Miriam beats them all into the ground, especially when you have neutronium-armoured Sentinels and she sends about seventeen rounds of Laser Infantry in to attack them....yawwwwn....roll on fast battle resolution...
"Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman
Old October 15, 2001, 19:13   #18
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 04:35
bible thumper's suck!!!
Well......if you must know,

I HATE Miriam She has pissed me off so many times its unbelievable. Here are some things that happened to me when I first started playing

1. Miriam allies with me, then when my military resources are on a different continent, she invades my territories enmass!

2. She launches a nuke at me, then declare Vendetta. Blows up one of my glorious Hive-holes with two Special Projects in them!

3. Destroyed a fleet of transports (with accompanying foils) with her damn 'airforce' and 'navy'....i thought 5 foils were enough!

4. Took my capitol. She's the only faction that managed to take the Hive from me.

5. The very first time I played SMAC and met her for the VERY first time, she tells me to give her tech...I say no, then she invades me and takes over two bases?

6. Invaded my continent enmass (again) and it took me a LONG time to get her off.

7. She had 2 other factions turn on me. Never had that happen before.

8. Lastly, I subjigated her taking around 10 of her bases. 20 years later she turns on me and takes over half of them back!

So....that's why I hate the Bible-Thumper Miriam.

Chairman Yang Forever!!!!Woooooooo!!!!
Old October 15, 2001, 22:17   #19
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 10:35
Is anyone surprised by the poll results?
Old October 16, 2001, 13:18   #20
Morganstern
Chieftain

Although I picked the Hive, the Believers were my next choice. The only distinction is that the Believers have always proven so much easier to defeat militarily, and you don't have to put up with all those colony pods invading or reducing your space! The Alien Crossfire factions are too new (to me) on this one, although that little tree hugging Planet Cult twerp is moving up the scale.
Old October 16, 2001, 15:23   #21
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 11:35
Quote:
Originally posted by Anunikoba
Is anyone surprised by the poll results?
no. except that sombody else voted for domai. who are you? show yourself!
Old October 16, 2001, 18:13   #22
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

NOBODY voted for Cha Dawn of Aki Zeta-Five. And they can be annoying - Cha Dawn is a green fundie and Aki gets so overlong in tech that it gives me the creeps.
Though, I did vote for Miriam...
Old October 16, 2001, 18:33   #23
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 03:35
And no-one voted for Roze, and I'm sure I've seen anti-Roze rants at time...

Also interestingly no-one voted for the Aliens, is this because it is implied that you hate the aliens?

The reasons for hating a faction are varied... from "they beat me up" to "they are boring"
Old October 16, 2001, 18:53   #24
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Come to think of it, every faction can be hated. If it wouldn't be so, it would be a dull game, and we would not be here discussing it.
But here people have voted, which faction they despise, which faction makes their blood boil by just showing up on the neighbouring island and landing troops on your land mass making ludicrous demands.
Old October 16, 2001, 20:20   #25
knowhow2
King

The eternal "pick one" mentality. Somehow our society works that way. Everthing and everyone has to be topped. There is always someone most anything. Why is that?

Why not just keep things equal and fair. Almost too OT now. Better I stop.
Old October 16, 2001, 20:31   #26
CygnusZ
Warlord

Believers... man do I hate organized religion
Old October 16, 2001, 21:53   #27
Ned
King

I don't actually "hate" any faction. I would just rank the opponents in terms of difficulty in beating them.

The best opponent is LAL. The second best is Dr. Z.

Ned
Old October 17, 2001, 10:55   #28
Bella Hella
Prince

i was original!
i voted for cha dawn of the cult. how does he bother me? let me count the ways:

- there's NO pleasing him, ever. at least yang and miriam get happy if you pick their SE choices.
- he'll never be your friend. he's always seething.
- cha dawn is a wuss and doesn't realize it. i hate it when AI factions declare war on you when there's no way they could ever possibly win.
- his picture is scary and freaky.
- he's always at war with everybody. so you get dragged into wars too.
- i hate the color pink.
- you're screwed unless you pick fundy and green.
- he never has any good techs.
- cults frighten me. do they all have to drink the poisoned fungal wine?

other than that, i just find the cult highly disturbing and annoying.
Old October 18, 2001, 04:10   #29
Tizzy
Warlord

I've hated them all at different times!
Yang for being the only one to PB me (and a base with lots of SP's in it as well!)
Roze for not knowing the meaning of "submissive" and continually probing me.
Sven for building sea bases which overlap my coastal bases.
Aki for refusing to submit and continually escaping in colony pods.
Lal for back-stabbing (Peacekeeping? Hah!)

and so on.

Most of them never really make my blood boil though.
Old October 21, 2001, 10:57   #30
Lord_Icewind
ACDG3 GaiansAlpha Centauri PBEM
Warlord

Local Time: 16:35
the pirates have very few votes. I understand the miriam-yang hating syndrome (I voted Miriam ) but the pirates tend to be very, very annoying. Even if the world has a 50% or less ocean coverage, hes is an annoying little $%&/!"$· and when its 70-90%..well, he has a REALLY big advantage...try playing versus the AI in a 70 90% ocean coverage game at tracend dificulty and he'll beat the hell out of you. As an allie, he's treacherous and cunning, and does not let your units get near him..I wonder, if at the beggining, when smax was a proyect, the pirates did not have the -1 efficiency and growth..they where monsters!.

What if an alien faction took the "water faction"
choice?