Local Date: October 31, 2010
HOLY SH*T! Capturing Units!
Look near the bottom of this picture...
Old October 12, 2001, 16:18   #2
Stuie
King

Local Time: 10:35
This is old news, friend. Any unit with a defense of 0 can be captured. This includes workers, settlers, great leaders, catapults, and probably more that I can't think of right now.
Old October 12, 2001, 16:26   #3
Kuciwalker
Deity

oops...
sorry, never heard about that.
Old October 12, 2001, 16:27   #4
jones
Chieftain

Local Time: 14:35
No need to circle the wagons just yet. I'm told the game is quite good.
Old October 12, 2001, 16:29   #5
sekong
Warlord

Thanks for the info, Stuie. I just made a thread for it, now it's confirmed. GL can be captured. But will they work for the civ capturing them? Any idea?
Old October 12, 2001, 16:55   #6
Mars
Prince

Local Time: 09:35
I would imangine that GL can be used by the civ that capturd them, otherwise what would be the use of capturing them
Old October 12, 2001, 16:59   #7
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 16:35
Maybe a RANSOM, like a Civ2 Barbarian Leaders!
Old October 12, 2001, 17:05   #8
El hidalgo
Warlord

Local Time: 08:35
That seems kind of weird... your great leader, an avatar of your culture, a representative of your glorious civilization, working for what in your eyes are barbarians. Doesn't seem right to me. Would the capturing civ even be able to trust such a person? What else would Hannibal do but drink poison to avoid capture? And would the Romans have trusted him to be on their side if he hadn't? Oh well, I guess it can be solved by giving the gl a defense point. Then your gl can say, as he should, "give me victory or give me death!"
Old October 12, 2001, 17:19   #9
Cre8engr
Chieftain

Local Time: 07:35
Ever heard of Benedict Arnold? Now there's a great leader who turned sides in the middle of battle. He practically saved the fledging United States while the British where trying to capture New York State. They would of succeeded, and destroy any chance of an American Nation, if it wasn't for Benedict Arnold. When Congress refused to accept his accomplishments, he betrayed the Colonials. It's one of ironies most ironic twists that we owe most of our victories in the north during the Revelution to a traitor.

Anyway, after Benedict Arnold betrayed his fellow Americans, he then went on to help the British. Of course, because he was a traitor, the British refused to accept any of his accomplishments after the Revolution. For that matter, they barely tolerated his presence in their country. Essentially, it sucked to be him in the years after the American Revelution.
Old October 12, 2001, 18:14   #10
red_jon
NationStates
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Cre8engr
Ever heard of Benedict Arnold? Now there's a great leader who turned sides in the middle of battle. He practically saved the fledging United States while the British where trying to capture New York State. They would of succeeded, and destroy any chance of an American Nation, if it wasn't for Benedict Arnold. When Congress refused to accept his accomplishments, he betrayed the Colonials. It's one of ironies most ironic twists that we owe most of our victories in the north during the Revelution to a traitor.

Anyway, after Benedict Arnold betrayed his fellow Americans, he then went on to help the British. Of course, because he was a traitor, the British refused to accept any of his accomplishments after the Revolution. For that matter, they barely tolerated his presence in their country. Essentially, it sucked to be him in the years after the American Revelution.

What a loser
Old October 12, 2001, 19:06   #11
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 15:35
Well I have been aware for some time that you could capture workers and similar units. But if you can capture great leaders, that would bring an interesting twist to the game, especially if you can ransom them!

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old October 12, 2001, 19:07   #12
Mars
Prince

Local Time: 09:35
Personally i think its dumb you can capture great leaders, too. With, the exception of a few, great leaders are strongly patriotical and would rather die for their country than be captured.
Old October 15, 2001, 16:52   #13
Blaupanzer
lifer
Emperor

Great Leaders are the equivalent of generals, politicians, and entrepreneurs. History is filled with such individuals working for other nations for a variety of reasons. La Fayette for the U.S., John Paul Jones for the Russians, French generals working against Napoleon, American Golda Meir for Israel, former British subject George Washington heading the government of USA. Alexander was a Macedonian, Napoleon was a Corsican, Hannoverians and Dutchmen both led England. It really isn't that unusual. The great scientific leaders that built the Manhatten Project were almost all from nations other than the US. And so on, and so on, ...
Old October 15, 2001, 17:37   #14
Nemo
Prince

Local Time: 08:35
can you barter for then in diplomacy screen?
Old October 15, 2001, 17:41   #15
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

I had heard about this before, but it left my mind a while ago. Thanx for bringing it up skywalker

I would guess that you could barter for them in diplomatic exchanges, otherwise, what's the point of capturing them? I imagine that you could either execute captured GLs, or hold them prisoner until a trade- but I am just speculating.
Old October 15, 2001, 19:35   #16
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 07:35
Capturing Great Leaders
I think that the point is going to be to not LET them get captured!
Hopefully, the AI will have a similar priority (toward both his and yours).
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.