Old October 15, 2001, 21:46   #121
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 10:37
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Assuming there are no major problems being posted by the community here, I'll wait for when the MP version comes out. This is not so much a slam on Firaxis but also indicates my buying habits in general these days: I find that if I wait to buy a game that already has a few patches done and all the features ready that I save myself a lot of headaches.

For the record, Orange: I agree with you on the really petty arguments that some people make. I was embarassed, for example, but they "Post this ****ing screenshot or die!" or whatever that lame thread was.

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old October 15, 2001, 21:51   #122
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 09:37
Look...
alls I was trying to say is that Sid and Firaxis deserve our respect. It's my own thought that PR is not up to them entirely, and they probably have better things on their minds, yet they STILL manage to put up a website and put out movies that keep us salivating.

As for the MP issue, I'd much rather have Civ III now with SP only than wait 6 months for both. I *hope* Firaxis has the good judgement to put MP as a patch or free download or something, but if they include it in an XP or make us buy it...it's their choice. If you or anyone wants to fight this by not buying the game - that's your choice, and it's not what I'm protesting against. I'm protesting, as you said, the stuff that's just plain embarassing to the posters at Apolyton.

You're right, you've worked hard, and so has everyone else at getting our thoughts and ideas into this game, so we should expect something damn good (after all, we've waited a good long time ) but I think that before we jump to conclusions, we should wait until we get the game in our hands and on our computers. I think we owe Firaxis the benefit of the doubt on that one, at least. It's not blind faith...it's just showing a little respect.

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old October 15, 2001, 21:56   #123
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 10:37
The Mighty Nation of Orange and the Fledgling Province of Yin strike a White Peace this Day of Our Lord, on the 16th Day of the 10th Month of the First Year of the Third Millenium.

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old October 15, 2001, 21:57   #124
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 09:37
Horrah!

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old October 15, 2001, 23:14   #125
Lord_Davinator
PtWDG Roleplay
Warlord

Local Time: 20:07
hurray!!!

hey check out
http://www.now.com/gamer/feature.now...57&cid=2075422

has some stuff on civ3...

might be interesting but is rather old.
Old October 16, 2001, 12:27   #126
Mahdimael
Prince

Local Time: 14:37
Quote:
Originally posted by yin26

The point in this case is that Firaxis DID provide information on MP as being some revolutionary thing, blah blah blah, which no doubt helped pre-orders and on the overall image of the product. What was NOT provided, however, was any clear answer if MP would be included on release day. The on-line retailers listed MP for quite a good long while.

Then we get a 'leaked' e-mail, which for all I know was Firaxis trying to give info without breaching its contract with Infogrames. So I don't mind a lack of information, per se. It's the DISINFORMATION and deliberate side-stepping of an issue that was hyped as a selling point that really offended me and others.

As for complaints about gameplay: I agree. No way to tell yet.
Yes, which does prove my point, somewhat. Certainly, Firaxis should have tried to be more cognizant of what would be included in the final release, but it also shows how the demand for information and details can become a problem for both the company and consumers. The company suffers because it needs to release information to consumers and then potentially releases details which may not be finalized, and the consumer suffers by demanding this information, making a decision based on it, and then becoming upset when it turns out that the product specification has changed. It's everyone's fault, both consumers and companies. The system itself needs to change