Old October 13, 2001, 05:46   #1
Lars-E
Warlord

Local Time: 15:37
Local Date: October 31, 2010
What do you like about civ3?
Graphics...

Some of the graphics are good some are not..

I don't like the "view city" graphics. Tiny detalis like civ2. I liked the "view city" graphics better in civ1. Big pyramids, colossus, etc. I mailed Firaxis about this a few months ago. But it is too late too change anything.

I don't like those small scrolls either...They weren't there in civ2 - why are they added now?

No MP....not good.

The release date for civ3 should be the same for the entire world. Why should the Americans get a headstart?

Maybe I should continue playing civ2. And try to land in 76 AD...or 46 AD...
Old October 13, 2001, 06:55   #2
Col Bigspear
Warlord

Local Time: 14:37
Location: Manchester, England. Im 1/2 Polish and proud of it!
Re: What do you like about civ3?
Quote:
Originally posted by Lars-E
No MP....not good.
I would not have put that in there, it's going to turn into a MP discussion, like in every other thread.
MarkG PLZ make a Civ3 Multiplayer Forum for people to bi*ch in.
Old October 13, 2001, 07:12   #3
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 09:37
personally, i cannot recall of any game with a simultanious world release. if anyone knows of one please enlighten us.

and graphics dont matter. i'd rather have had still leader pics if it got me multiplayer
Old October 13, 2001, 07:15   #4
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 10:37
I like and GREATLY appreciate the attempts to cure ICS. If they prove effective, that ONE thing could make the game entirely worth playing again. And always remember: That change came from people here at Poly writing up the arguments, posing solutions, and making sure the issue never died.

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old October 13, 2001, 08:16   #5
Footie Mad
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Jingo
personally, i cannot recall of any game with a simultanious world release. if anyone knows of one please enlighten us.
Diablo 2 I believe.
It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars
Old October 13, 2001, 09:21   #6
Asesino_Virtual
Warlord

Local Time: 11:37
Quote:
Dune2000 was released in simulatious with the rest of the world (even in Argentina!! ).
Old October 13, 2001, 09:34   #7
August Borms
Prince

Quote:
Not that I consider a simultanious worldwide release important, but Arcanum was also released worldwide.

IIRC, the US version of Arcanum was "done" several months before the release and then it leaked (warez) and alot of people started whining and complaining (and "threatening" to download the warez version) why they didn't release it etc...
( I guess it was because of the localized versions for Europe )
Old October 13, 2001, 10:45   #8
Akron
Prince

I'm interested by the new cultural and resource models, along with the fact that I can play with 16 civilizations.
Old October 13, 2001, 12:30   #9
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

thanks for the info, haven't wanted to play any of those games
Old October 13, 2001, 13:31   #10
Howling Chip
Chieftain

Local Time: 06:37
1. That different Cultures will not only act different (aggressive, diplomatic, etc) but also have different game attributes (UUs, development bents, etc.) Whenever I would start a new Civ game, there was always this little pang or sigh that the only difference was what Face/Architecture I'd get. That and what I would name my cities. Although eventually I would always start naming my cities "Little Doggie Poop Pile" or something.

2. Cultural Influence and the whole borders thing. I liked aspects of that feature in CTP2 and SMAC.

3. Minor Wonders and the way Major Wonders are supposed to be directly influenced by culture. I like this because I almost always had 4 or 5 must have wonders, same over and over per game. This may take replay into another realm for me (see item #1).

4. Ability to make more varied and "customized" diplomatic offers.

The above is my "never thought about this question before" quick list reply.
Old October 13, 2001, 13:38   #11
Sabre2th
King

Local Time: 10:37
Re: What do you like about civ3?
Quote:
I mailed Firaxis about this a few months ago. But it is too late too change anything.
You expect Firaxis to change them just for you? I happen to like the new city view.

Quote:
I don't like those small scrolls either...They weren't there in civ2 - why are they added now?
This is not civ2. It is a new, different game.

Quote:
No MP....not good.
I don't think I can handle another MP b!tch session.

Quote:
The release date for civ3 should be the same for the entire world. Why should the Americans get a headstart?
Americans are making the game. Plus, worldwide releases cost money. Money that they may not have.

Quote:
Maybe I should continue playing civ2. And try to land in 76 AD...or 46 AD...
Then go do that. There is waaay too much complaining in these forums. If you don't like it, don't play it.
Old October 13, 2001, 14:56   #12
TechWins
King

Local Time: 07:37
Well, my list about what I like in Civ3 is so incredibly long that I will only mention a few things:

1. The new improvements made upon capturing a city. This might actually make war strategical.

2. National borders will give more of a feeling of having a nation, rather than just having a bunch of united city-states.

3. Resources will prevent total war machines that don't have any other skills, such as the Mongols were in Civ2. Again this will provide more strategy to war.

4. Diplomacy has been improved enough that many deals can made. Also, diplomacy will play more of a role in war, which is a must.

5. Having the seperation of Major and Minor Wonders is fantastic. Now there can be super-powers that have the technology to nuke, while others are being left behind in the dust until they improve their national state. To put it into simpler terms, one nation can be smart without making everybody else smart. This is an underrated addition to Civ3.

6. Having the units of each era being much more powerful than the era that preceeded it is one of my favorite new aspects of teh game. An example of this is that a knight is now much more powerful than a horsemen. The large seperation in stats between each era's units' stats will do wonders for the game in the war realm, IMO.

7. Believe it or not people but all that Civ-Specific stuff will help the game. This will provide a certain flavor to the game that will make it even more re-playable.

8. Great Leaders appear to be a nice, little treat for the game. How cool will it be when you are playing the French and all of sudden one of your units turns into Napoleon? Then with Napoleon you could have the choice for him to lead a fiercesome army or help your nation build the Statue of Liberty!

9. The many new improvements made to warfare specifically makes me very happy. Armies are just one of those improvements that will make war more enjoyable. Bombardment and having airplanes doing 'missions' instead of acting like a flying, land unit is a gigantic improvement.

10. The animations and graphics seem to give Civ3 a great feel when playing the game.

I have only mentioned some of the improvements made upon Civ3 and I didn't even go into detail with them. Now if a pessimism can name more bad features of Civ3 than go ahead and try. Civ3 is going to be a great game, regardless of the dissapointment which is MP.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old October 13, 2001, 15:07   #13
Shiva
Prince

Local Time: 08:37
Quote:
Originally posted by TechWins
3. Resources will prevent total war machines that don't have any other skills, such as the Mongols were in Civ2. Again this will provide more strategy to war.
That has to be what I like the most so far without playing it yet. Most of the wars ever fought have been over Resources, Geography, Population. The Resource reason has been missing from Civ so far for the most part.
The eagle soars and flies in peace and casts its shadow wide Across the land, across the seas, across the far-flung skies. The foolish think the eagle weak, and easy to bring to heel. The eagle's wings are silken, but its claws are made of steel. So be warned, you would-be hunters, attack it and you die, For the eagle stands for freedom, and that will always fly.

Darkness makes the sunlight so bright that our eyes blur with tears. Challenges remind us that we are capable of great things. Misery sharpens the edges of our joy. Life is hard. It is supposed to be.
Old October 13, 2001, 18:14   #14
joseph1944

So far, I like everything.

Old October 13, 2001, 18:25   #15
CobraA1
Chieftain

Local Time: 06:37
Location: North of the Arctic Circle, south of Canada; Minnesota, USA
I like all of the improvements - I'm especially interested in seeing how culture affects gameplay. I think all of these improvements outweighs all of the complaints on this board.
Old October 13, 2001, 18:34   #16
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 03:37
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The things I'm most excited about:

The new diplomacy model, diplomacy AI, diplomacy everything

The addition of culture
Old October 13, 2001, 21:09   #17
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 01:37
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Culture!!
Resources!!!

Yay!!!!!