Old October 13, 2001, 14:46   #1
The diplomat
King

Local Time: 08:38
Local Date: October 31, 2010
first civ3 game
Over at civfanatics.com they have a post by a Bob Mayer from Computer Gaming Online who discusses his first game of civ3:

--------
I played my first actual game of Civ III last night, though I wasn't able to print out the 250 page manual, so I don't have a great grasp on all the rules yet. Got my butt kicked on the lowest difficulty level .

The addition of things like borders, cultural spheres of influence, the revamped combat, the radically different way you support troops and handle trade, etc.--all of these things put some very real twists on how you play the game. If you are a Civ/Civ II vet you'll be able to jump in and play, but chances are, not too well at first without some trial and error.

The interface, graphics, and overall look is so superior to earlier Civs that even if they had done very little tweaking this would still be worthwhile to pick up. As it stands, it seems like a very logical evolution of the series. It is far from being just Civ II with better looks IMO.

It's not revolutionary. It's not supposed to be. It's Civ. Bigger, better, better looking, but Civ. And from my experience, so far, it nails that pretty damn well.
-------

Here is the first blow against negativity!
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
Old October 13, 2001, 14:55   #2
Faboba
King

Local Time: 14:38
Location: Scotland. I can't be more specific else they'll find me.
All hail positivity!
Valium for all!
Old October 13, 2001, 14:57   #3
Crouchback
Warlord

Local Time: 09:38
Sounds great. Getting beaten at the lowest level (didn't happen in the CTP series), and yet understanding the basics (unlike SMAC, which I still struggle with), its all I really want from the SP game.

But I want to hear more on the AI behaviour, both military and diplomatic. :sulk:

David
Old October 13, 2001, 16:20   #4
Shadowstrike
Emperor

Local Time: 09:38
Steering this topic into a new irection, what are you most likely to play when you get your grubby paws on Civ3?

Me, I'll probably choose Romans, Prince, Standard rules, and 5 billion years, temperate, wet, just like my first game of Civ2 (except for Prince, which is now my prefered level rather then Chieftain)
Old October 13, 2001, 16:41   #5
Sabre2th
King

Local Time: 10:38
The pessimists seem to be losing support
Old October 13, 2001, 16:48   #6
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 16:38
The original post can be found here. To bad he isn't allowed to release any info until the 22th.

Why is he allowed to play the game and not I?
Old October 13, 2001, 16:49   #7
Green Giant
Warlord

Local Time: 08:38
The release is drawing closer, there is more information available now. There was no way to really disprove the pessimists before, it was just kinda blind faith. But now we are getting proof from a few priveleged people who have actually played the game.